Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Interesting qualy, McLaren seemed very close to Ferrari in qualifying.
    Formula 1

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andreag
    Simple; the driver who made it possible is now on another team.
    Silly. Renault lost their co-operation with Michelin and are struggling with BS tyres. Alonso has nothing to do with it. Put him in the Renault at the moment and he would look like **** aswell.

Ferrari is just as quick as McLaren here, the people who were going into frenzy with Ferraris "superiority" need to understand only circumstances made Ferrari look so much better at Oz, in reality they only had 2-3 tenths there over McLaren on race pace.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Simple; the driver who made it possible is now on another team.
    Actually that can't explain everything. If Renault had dropped from 1st to 2nd or 3rd, then we might say that it's the result of the loss of Alonso. But from first to what? Sixth? No-no, it can't be purely Alonso's "fault".

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    I read that towards the quali, it started to drizzle. What's the forecast for the race?
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Actually that can't explain everything. If Renault had dropped from 1st to 2nd or 3rd, then we might say that it's the result of the loss of Alonso. But from first to what? Sixth? No-no, it can't be purely Alonso's "fault".
    Fisichella's times on Q1 and Q2 were 0.5 and 1.2 seconds slower than Massa; exactly the same he achieved last season on Turkey, Italy, Japan and Brazil. He's doing as he finished last year.

There's no improvement on his pace compared to Massa's, and Heikki is around that (adding some rookie mistakes). So Renault hasn't shown a better form than it would be without Alonso.

On the other side, McLaren times are closer to Ferrari than there were on the end of last season. The car has adapted better than Renault to BS, and to do this is neccesary a great feedback from the drivers, and McLaren has an advantage having a good test driver (PDLR) and having Fernando, who's very good explaining the car's behaviour to the engineers (apart from being faster than Fisi).

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Fisichella's times on Q1 and Q2 were 0.5 and 1.2 seconds slower than Massa; exactly the same he achieved last season on Turkey, Italy, Japan and Brazil. He's doing as he finished last year.

There's no improvement on his pace compared to Massa's, and Heikki is around that (adding some rookie mistakes). So Renault hasn't shown a better form than it would be without Alonso.

On the other side, McLaren times are closer to Ferrari than there were on the end of last season. The car has adapted better than Renault to BS, and to do this is neccesary a great feedback from the drivers, and McLaren has an advantage having a good test driver (PDLR) and having Fernando, who's very good explaining the car's behaviour to the engineers (apart from being faster than Fisi).
    Your logics are flawed. You can't compare last year's gaps wit this year's gaps without taking into account that the cars are very different this year (one tires supplier and different tires).

Renault simply have a flawed chassis, it happened to Ferrari too, in 2005, with or without MS, it happens to Renault now, with or without FA.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    BTW I forgot to ask, if you are already doing it what about comparing the gaps with the ones they got last season in Sepang?
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    I like your glasses andrea
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    BTW I forgot to ask, if you are already doing it what about comparing the gaps with the ones they got last season in Sepang?
    I really beleive there're more differences in a car between Malaysia 06 and Brazil 06, than between Brazil 06 and Malaysia 07.

That's why I don't compare them from season to season. Everybody knew Renault was superior at the begining of last season, but not at the end, and the relative pace of both teams (Ferrari and Renault) is now similar to what it was at the end of last season, and completely different as what it was one year ago.

Of course tyres had an influence, but is not only Renault the team who has to change tyres; some teams have changed with a good result, and other teams were on BS but are lost this year.

The fact is that for two consecutive years Renault started the seasons on a superior pace, but its improvement through the season was poor (compared to other teams). McLaren started worst, but its improvement were clearly better.

This scenary has changed, and tyres is not the big difference, as both teams had to move to BS. So there's another reason.

And according to Campoamor (thanks Donkey jote):

"And it is that in the treasonous world
    nothing is truth or lie:
    everything is according to the color
    of the crystal through which it is seen.
    "

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Coulthard and Barrichello starting from the back of the grid:

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/5905/771.html

...Which makes the starting grid:

1. Felipe Massa
    2. Fernando Alonso
    3. Kimi Räikkönen
    4. Lewis Hamilton
    5. Nick Heidfeld
    6. Nico Rosberg
    7. Robert Kubica
    8. Jarno Trulli
    9. Ralf Schumacher
    10. Mark Webber
    11. Heikki Kovalainen
    12. Giancarlo Fisichella
    13. Takuma Sato
    14. Jenson Button
    15. Vitantonio Liuzzi
    16. Scott Speed
    17. Anthony Davidson
    18. Alexander Wurz
    19. Christijan Albers
    20. Adrian Sutil
    21. David Coulthard
    22. Rubens Barrichello

Noteworthy is that this is the first time Renault have not qualified in the top 10 since late 2002.