Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    The problem with an oval is, if someone stalls on the grid the cars are back on top of it way too fast. On the road/street courses you at least have a chance to clear it before the pack arrives.
    Not really - unless I'm missing something. From a standstill, a car wouldn't be able to accelerate any faster on an oval than on a road course. And compared to a street course, an oval would probably offer more run-off, at least to the left, in the infield. But anyway, if the starting grid constitutes a distance of say 300 feet from the last car to the first car, if the first car was stalled and setting in the middle of the track, the last car wouldn't reach that stalled first car any faster on an oval than a road course.

I'm not for it or against it. I don't really care, to be honest. But the major issue I think they'd face, if they tried to do standing starts anywhere, would be the lack of skill as you get deeper in the field. Despite what C3-Trackforum Boy is ignorantly claiming, F1 has no more (and probably fewer) issues with its standing starts than the IRL (or IndyCar or whatever it's being called this week) has with its rolling starts - Baltimore, anyone? Including the officials, asking some of these characters to do a standing start would be like asking Paris Hilton to solve a physics problem.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The problem with an oval is, if someone stalls on the grid the cars are back on top of it way too fast. On the road/street courses you at least have a chance to clear it before the pack arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Not really - unless I'm missing something.
    I think your are. I believe starter is saying the pole sitter would be back around on the stalled car much quicker on and oval than a road course.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have to agree with Starter, rolling starts on the ovals and standing starts on the road/streets. Whilst a standing start on an oval would be quite interesting, if a car stalled then the race would be instantly yellowed and that car would go at least 2 laps down before being re-fired, plus the fact that it would go against the traditions of oval racing. Road/Street courses, on the other hand, should be ALL standing starts. Have two Safety crews line-up at the back of the grid, so if one or more cars do stall, they can be quickly re-fired before the field comes back round. But, this would be irrelevant, if both Honda & Chevrolet could get their anti-stall systems sorted by the time we get to Toronto. They've had plenty of time to get these systems working by now.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    And when has Indycar cleared anything before the pack arrives?

Quote Originally Posted by MAX_THRUST
    Starting a car with that much power that is set up to turn left on a banked starting line would be messy.
    Same chassis and same power as on the road course so that argument is illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by MAX_THRUST
    Why doesn't Indy Car ask the fans what they think? They may not get the answers they want, but it would be interesting to see what the fans want.

For me stick with rolling starts all the way, bring back the Japanese oval, Australia Surfers race, Cleveland airport track and Michigan. Then add the German and UK oval...I can dream
    The fans have already told us what they want with their $$$ and their eyes.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    I think your are. I believe starter is saying the pole sitter would be back around on the stalled car much quicker on and oval than a road course.

Gary
    But how is that any different than if there is a crash during an oval race? They throw the yellow and the leader and all the other cars slow down. Right?

But again, I'm not arguing in favor of doing this. It's just that apart from tradition or whatever, I don't think there are the safety concerns that some claim, not that I can see anyway. One of the biggest safety concerns I can think of is being on an oval track with E.J. Viso going 220+ mph. Now that is freaking scary!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But as has been seen several times in F1 if a car that starts in the front rows, a car from the very back has a good deal of speed up before he gets to the car that stalled and has made contact with them shile they were sitting stalled on the grid/track. It's not strictly an issue of the pole sitter coming up on them too fast as it would be more likely a car from the back of the grid hitting it first.
    So sad that thin skinned namby pambies infect a place and other placate to their wishes at the expense of others who have done no wrong.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr nobody
    But as has been seen several times in F1 if a car that starts in the front rows, a car from the very back has a good deal of speed up before he gets to the car that stalled and has made contact with them shile they were sitting stalled on the grid/track. It's not strictly an issue of the pole sitter coming up on them too fast as it would be more likely a car from the back of the grid hitting it first.
    There is that, but it's no worse than someone making a mistake on a rolling start and scattering cars everywhere. Racing is dangerous, make no mistake about it. The point is that standing starts are very doable and IMO are better done on road type tracks and not ovals.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover