Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    It could be a good battle through the season, and I personally think Ross Brawn will allow them to race unless a car preservation order has already taken place. He was very firm when Nico was unhappy, but even explained himself over the radio.

If Nico continues to do so well against Lewis it will raise my impression of his skills. I've been one of the doubters until we saw real competition within the team, but the first two races look positive for Nico.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    I don't think a team has anything to gain by disadvantaging one of their drivers, unless Lewis has the number 1 driver clause in his contract. And if that is the case, judging by Ross Brawn's past, and team orders at Ferrari, I don't think Michael Schumacher fans have anything to complain about.

Besides wasn't it the team's fault that Lewis' car was underfueled? Agreed that that's not Rosberg's problem, but it still would have been unfair to Lewis.
    Lewis was dead in the water with his empty fuel tank and no matter who was responsible for it, by staying behind in a car that was miles quicker Nico pretty much did the submission ritual. Massa V2.0
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Well he had enough fuel to finish the race .

In my opinion Lewis will become stronger and also be a team player if it's needed ,Nico has been at Mercedes longer and knows all the team better.But maybe the Finn/ German will give Lewis a run for his money this year .And I am not biased by creed or country of their birth either.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I've liked Nico since he was in GP2. And it's nice to see that, with strong teammates, he continues to up his game... after getting his F1 career off to a rather sublime start. I hope that they continue to push each other. As a fan of both guys, I think that will benefit both drivers and make the seasons to come even more fun to watch.

And if Nico even gets the upper-hand, I think Lewis should start referring to Nico as "Britney" in interviews. I hear he really likes that.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster
    Doesn't matter. Brawn will bend him over the next piece of furniture again and 'service the account' in public. Rosberg had the chance to put his foot dow, but instead he caved in and obeyed a ridiculous team order. He lost any chance of ever becoming WDC with Mercedes, because he let them bum**** him in favour of Lewis. If they do that in just the second race of the year, why should it be different in - let's say - the 10th race of the season?
    So you think every race will be a repeat of Malaysia? It would quickly get repetitive if this was the case.

Anyway, if anything, the fact that Nico obeyed the team orders, IMO makes him all the more valuable as a driver. Plenty of drivers (mentioning no names:dozey can choose not to listen to their boss but not many can follow the orders and take it on the chin afterwards.

Dont get too upset though. This isnt Massa were talking about, Rosberg will bounce back, dont you worry
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Quote Originally Posted by tfp
    So you think every race will be a repeat of Malaysia? It would quickly get repetitive if this was the case.
    Wouldn't you agree that a team order like that must have had a reason? If Mercedes kept Rosberg behind to stroke Lewis' ego by giving him a podium, they will do so again. I just don't buy the whole 'we don't want the to crash into each other'-Spiel. I'm still at a loss to find any good reason to keep the faster driver behind.
    I understood it at Austin last year - Massa was cooled down because Fernando needed every point he could get, especially on a weekend were he was not his usual self. (Mind you, that understanding doesn't include the scumbaggery with the grid manipulation)
    But we're talking the second of 19 races here. It was either a blatant favouring of Lewis or completely nonsensical.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I don't think it's at all nonsensical to at some point, decide that the "race" is over between team drivers and order them to hold station until race end. They are dealing with millions of dollars worth of machinery, and regardless of finishing order the team will at that point have the same amount of constructors championship points. The team gets real money from the constructors points, not the WDC.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    I don't think it's at all nonsensical to at some point, decide that the "race" is over between team drivers and order them to hold station until race end. They are dealing with millions of dollars worth of machinery, and regardless of finishing order the team will at that point have the same amount of constructors championship points. The team gets real money from the constructors points, not the WDC.
    All valid points, but at least to the general public it looked as if Nico was significantly faster and didn't need to save on fuel the way Lewis did. Had they let him pass they would still have gotten exactly the same amount of points. If one driver has to turn down his engine because he's marginal on fuel and the other one still has enough juice to go flat out, keeping the latter behind is a completely arbitrary decision with no justification whatsoever.
    I've never been a friend of team orders. I didn't like how Eddie Irvine and Rubens Barrichello always keeled over when told to do so, because that takes away from Michael's achievents. One has to put up with it in the hot championship fight in the late season, but this early in the game I think it achieves nothing but putting F1 to shame. How many of us would put up with a football game, where the coach decides, who is allowed to score a goal and who isn't?

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I think Mercedes just wanted both cars to finish the race in 3rd and 4th position. In the previous laps before Ross made his call, both drivers had exchanged positions on a couple of occasions. Lewis was low on fuel and there were still enough laps left to destroy the tyres. It looked unfair on Nico but by controlling both drivers in the gap they had made sure they finished comfortably. There was a large gap in front and behind as Ross mentioned to Nico, so many constructors points were at risk. I wouldn't have blamed Nico for ignoring it as there clearly wasn't a 'multi 109' or a 'multi 910' type message if you consider their racing numbers. I know its coded and would be likely different at Merc anyway.

As it were Nico obeyed and hopefully Lewis will do the same thing in future if placed in the same situation. With both drivers being so close in performance, I think we'll see more of this at some point in the season.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster
    Wouldn't you agree that a team order like that must have had a reason? If Mercedes kept Rosberg behind to stroke Lewis' ego by giving him a podium, they will do so again. I just don't buy the whole 'we don't want the to crash into each other'-Spiel. I'm still at a loss to find any good reason to keep the faster driver behind.
    So why did Red Bull order Vettel to stay behind Webber? Is Webber the de facto number 1 at Red Bull?