Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts

Mercedes Inter team Battle - Hamilton Vs Rosberg

The prospect of this battle deserved a thread of its own I feel.

We have two top quality drivers who are going to be able to push each other to the limit. It's a great sign for Mercedes future.

So here's a summary of what has happened thus far.

Australia - Hamilton was outpaced by Rosberg in all practice and qualifying sessions until finally in Q1 Hamilton put in a storming lap and pipped Rosberg to out-qualify him. This was probably due to the changeable conditions we were witnessing in Oz, otherwise I genuinely feel Rosberg would have out-qualified him. Hard to compare the race as Rosberg retired.

Malaysia - Again Hamilton was outpaced by Rosberg in every single Free practice and qualifying sessions. Similar to Oz, Hamilton put in a storming lap in the last session of qualifying. The questions of whether or not Rosberg would have beaten him is hard to answer since he got held up by Kimi on a flying lap but I've a feeling Hamilton had the better of him here. In the race, although Hamilton was ahead, for most of it Rosberg was about 0.3 tenths of a second quicker than Hamilton per lap and Rosberg was able to make his tires last longer. Rosberg would have finished up on the podium were it not for team orders and ahead of Hamilton.

Now, as the year goes on, it's possible that Hamilton will embed more into the team and gain and edge over Rosberg. On the other hand, Rosberg has shown what he can do and surely, thus far, appears more than a match for Hamilton.

I think Seb will win the WDC again this year though Alonso might have something to say about it, so for me, the Mercedes teammate battle is the most exciting thing on the grid this season.

I can't wait to see how it pans out over the coming year. I also believe that Nico will out-qualify Hamilton in China. That's my tip!

Thoughts?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    I also believe that Nico will out-qualify Hamilton in China.
    I also think that will be the case. That pole lap from Nico last year was something special.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Ever since Nico has been with Mercedes, the first half of his season has been stronger than the second half. Now this may be more of an indictment of Mercedes than Rosberg, but there you have it.

I do feel that Lewis is just a bit stronger psychologically--can push a team to achieve just a bit more than NR. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    I also think that will be the case. That pole lap from Nico last year was something special.
    Doesn't matter. Brawn will bend him over the next piece of furniture again and 'service the account' in public. Rosberg had the chance to put his foot dow, but instead he caved in and obeyed a ridiculous team order. He lost any chance of ever becoming WDC with Mercedes, because he let them bum**** him in favour of Lewis. If they do that in just the second race of the year, why should it be different in - let's say - the 10th race of the season?
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    I have a great sympathy for Nico but Lewis will easily win this...mark my words
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    Ever since Nico has been with Mercedes, the first half of his season has been stronger than the second half. Now this may be more of an indictment of Mercedes than Rosberg, but there you have it.

I do feel that Lewis is just a bit stronger psychologically--can push a team to achieve just a bit more than NR. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Mercedes, and indeed Brawn GP, have always gone backwards compared to everyone else across a season. I'd be amazed if the same didn't happen this year.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Mercedes, and indeed Brawn GP, have always gone backwards compared to everyone else across a season. I'd be amazed if the same didn't happen this year.
    Brawn GP went backwards because they were essentially cash-strapped and Mercedes went backwards because they had a notorious underachiever like Loic Bigois as a chief designer. Both of these thing don't apply this season. The only variable in the game is, when they are going to give up on this year's car in favour of the 2014 challenger. Contrary to what the big name suggests, Mercedes actually operates on a significantly smaller budget than Ferrari and Red Bull. For that they haven't done too badly in the past.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Hamilton never got the credit for his dues in Malaysia.

Personally I thought Hamilton just as impressive if not more of the two in Malaysia. He was having to save fuel and more or less kept in touch with RBR but he had to turn the wick down in the final stint.

In fairness I'd say they were equal on race day.

Confirmation that this is a race winning car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster
    Doesn't matter. Brawn will bend him over the next piece of furniture again and 'service the account' in public. Rosberg had the chance to put his foot dow, but instead he caved in and obeyed a ridiculous team order. He lost any chance of ever becoming WDC with Mercedes, because he let them bum**** him in favour of Lewis. If they do that in just the second race of the year, why should it be different in - let's say - the 10th race of the season?
    I don't think a team has anything to gain by disadvantaging one of their drivers, unless Lewis has the number 1 driver clause in his contract. And if that is the case, judging by Ross Brawn's past, and team orders at Ferrari, I don't think Michael Schumacher fans have anything to complain about.

Besides wasn't it the team's fault that Lewis' car was underfueled? Agreed that that's not Rosberg's problem, but it still would have been unfair to Lewis.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pino
    I have a great sympathy for Nico but Lewis will easily win this...mark my words
    I'm not as convinced. I think he'll win in the end but not by the huge margin you seem to be suggesting