Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Zyla
    I understand if you don't like whales...
    What? I live in Wales....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Wales is automatically cool because it contains Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Wey hey, I'm impressed!

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Yes but at a mere 211 posts you ARE genuinely endangered!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Zyla
    I don't feel "comfortable" on a forum where people are encouraged to wish death on innocent creatures.
    But it is OK for people to wish death and injury on people?

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    If I ever have an options trade that really pays off, I plan to use my ill-gotten gains to go on a hunt... a people hunt. I'm really curious to know what a Japanese tastes like. And to avoid charges of murder or cannibalism, I plan to call my adventure (and meal) "scientific research" - just like the whalers do. The issue I have with the Japanese whalers is their lies. If it's not wrong or illegal, then they why do they feel the need to lie about what they're doing or why they're doing it. And so, if it's not wrong for them, it shouldn't be wrong for me to chomp into one of them. Say, I wonder if they taste like chicken?

But until then, I'll continue to get a real kick out of watching Whale Wars on Animal Planet. I may not agree with everything that the Sea Shepherds do, but I do like their style and moxie.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    If I ever have an options trade that really pays off, I plan to use my ill-gotten gains to go on a hunt... a people hunt. I'm really curious to know what a Japanese tastes like. And to avoid charges of murder or cannibalism, I plan to call my adventure (and meal) "scientific research" - just like the whalers do. And so, if it's not wrong for them, it shouldn't be wrong for me to chomp into one of them. Say, I wonder if they taste like chicken?
    Coming as it does from you whose posts are generally well thought out and rational I think this is one of the most hysterical and disturbing posts I've read on this forum.

Tell me what it is about whales that makes you feel about whalehunting this way? I presume you do not feel the same way about cattle farms? Is it a religious thing? Given the strength of emotion this generates it almost feels that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    The issue I have with the Japanese whalers is their lies. If it's not wrong or illegal, then they why do they feel the need to lie about what they're doing or why they're doing it.
    Why is it that you can get so emotional about this matter yet haven't done basic research about the politics of whaling?

Japan's error is to remain within the IWC, the commission that regulates whaling. This has imposed a ban on commercial whaling but not for research which is why the Japanese whale for research purposes. Under this agreement whalemeat not used for research can be sold. The Japanese do publish peer reviewed research on the whales they catch but as you've said this is largely a cover for commercial hunting.

As already described other whaling countries have simply withdrawn from the IWC and have resumed commercial whaling. As your post indicates I think this shows that Japan should do the same and recommence unrestricted commercial whaling unfettered, then your grounds for wanting to eat them will disappear overnight.

For whatever reason, Japan persists in trying to come to an agreement with other IWC countries to allow restricted commercial whaling but I think the reality is that the opposing positions are too polarised to ever come to any agreement, hence the IWC is unworkable. In this case Japan's attachment to working with international bodies is counterproductive.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Wow.

Seems as though things have been getting a little out of hand today while I was at work.

Joey has been banned for the posts in this thread or something else? (Just curious as to whats happening in the forum)

As for the subject.

I believe that humans are part of the food chain and should be allowed to kill animals for food. However I also believe that as a higher species we have a duty to protect species when they are over hunted or just close to extinction.

I am also anti herbal medicine trade of sustances like Rhino horn or whatever else as I cant see that as a required source of medical treatment in todays world.

Thats my view and I am sticking too it, but I wont be abusing any of you who disagree with me.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    I am also anti herbal medicine trade of sustances like Rhino horn or whatever else as I cant see that as a required source of medical treatment in todays world.
    Its trade in this kind of medicine when there are perfectly good conventional medical alternatives that does get me extremely angry, ditto elephant tusks or the shocking trade in sharks fins which does deserve immediate action to stop it IMO, not whaling.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Coming as it does from you whose posts are generally well thought out and rational I think this is one of the most hysterical and disturbing posts I've read on this forum.
    Rational?! What?! I resent the remark that I am or have ever been rational! I am not rational! Rumors like that could give people (esp. those of the female persuasion) the idea that I could possibly be domesticated or house broken.

So not rational... but I am pretty sarcastic.

But uh... do you honestly think that I would eat another person just for the heck of it? Seriously? Although, if I was really, really hungry (and no one was watching)... hey, a growing boy has got to eat!

Tell me what it is about whales that makes you feel about whalehunting this way? I presume you do not feel the same way about cattle farms?
    I grew up on a cattle farm. And we called it a cattle farm - not a bovine research facility. I used to hunt deer. But when someone was poaching deer on my land, I issued a warning that my eyes sometimes couldn't tell the difference between a coyote and a poacher in my rifle scope. My situation with poaching went away very quickly. When people know that you have a heavy-barrel AK with a night vision scope sitting on top of it, I guess that tends to make people think more clearly about what they're doing. Kinda like the cannibalism comment, it's unlikely that I would actually pop someone for trespassing or poaching, but is that a chance that one would want to take??? Plus, I called the game warden and the local cops and told them to arrest anyone found on that land who didn't have my written permission to be there. I'm just not prone to allow "deer researchers" to take deer off my land in the middle of the night.

Why is it that you can get so emotional about this matter yet haven't done basic research about the politics of whaling?
    When I'm emotional, the veins in my temples and neck bulge out. I just looked in the mirror. The veins in my temples and neck aren't bulging. I think you sense some level of emotion that just isn't there. I'm not writing checks to the Sea Shepherds. But I do watch and enjoy the TV show. Sometimes I guess I just like seeing liars and cheats get hassled.

Japan's error is to remain within the IWC, the commission that regulates whaling. This has imposed a ban on commercial whaling but not for research which is why the Japanese whale for research purposes. Under this agreement whalemeat not used for research can be sold. The Japanese do publish peer reviewed research on the whales they catch but as you've said this is largely a cover for commercial hunting.

As already described other whaling countries have simply withdrawn from the IWC and have resumed commercial whaling. As your post indicates I think this shows that Japan should do the same and recommence unrestricted commercial whaling unfettered, then your grounds for wanting to eat them will disappear overnight.

For whatever reason, Japan persists in trying to come to an agreement with other IWC countries to come to an agreement that would allow restricted commercial whaling but I think the reality is that the opposing positions are too polarised to ever come to any agreement. In this case Japan's attachment to working with international bodies is counterproductive.
    Sorry, I just have no sympathy for what I consider to be fancy/schmancy poaching, dressed up as "research".
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith