Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Thanks very much, Ben!

I must say that reading this thread has altered my original opinion quite a bit. Youse guys make some very good points. I guess I just miss the old times when we always had a couple of really intense political threads in Chit-Chat, and a couple a feuds raging in F1. It's true that I've never been one to offend myself, but I did find these very amusing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When I started reading this thread, I 'got' what you were on about. I didn't think you were asking for wholesale changes and a virtual cull on Moderating but just to possibly not be so strict. I have seen threads closed on occassions at the drop of a hat and some moderating decisions seem to be based on the Mods personal views rather than whether there was a reasoned need to shut a thread or remove posts.

Now, I support the Mods on here, always have done, always will do, and I know they're unpaid, aren't Supermen and on occassion can make a mistake. No problem with that. However, I do think the Modding has become slightly less tolerant lately regarding letting people having a bit of a barney.

People being rude and insulting is one thing but saying someone is being a prat or that a post is the rambleings of an idiot is hardly descending the forum into anarchy, is it? I think I even got an infraction for calling someone a Poodle I say a lot worse down the pub

It's a difficult line to Moderate but a bit of banter or light hearted 'insults' adds to the forum rather than detracts from it. No need to change the rules but not necessarily enforce them that much unless you need to.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    When you close a thread you have one set of people thinking it was outrageous. Another set thinking it should have been closed ages ago.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I never said it was an easy job Mark. Just my opinion and honest feedback.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    I think I even got an infraction for calling someone a Poodle
    Really?

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Really?
    I think I can top that, I got complained about for referring to someone, who was being exceedingly rude about a certain WRC driver, as a 'dweller in darkness' - as he hadn't yet seen the light.
    His Complaint: "Insult - I do not dwell in darkness"
    Mark's reply: "Prove it"................. which was nice

I think a large amount of misunderstanding occurs from debates held in a language, English, that for some (or all) of the participants may not be their 1st language (sorry Yanks ) I would always try to do a 'Kissinger' in such cases. Also, as in the recent Natalie Coulthard thread, someone's insensitivity can provoke a very emotional response. I don't want to poke my nose in unnecessarily or act like some old fart, so I hope having become a mod by default (I only wanted to run the WRC Pickem) I can just point out from time to time when a chill pill is required (rather than a full frontal lobotomy!).
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    I think a large amount of misunderstanding occurs from debates held in a language, English, that for some (or all) of the participants may not be their 1st language (sorry Yanks ) I would always try to do a 'Kissinger' in such cases.
    I think in some instances all it takes is a PM to ask an individual to chill out a little. Giving someone an infraction for calling somebody a 'poodle' is a little extreme as the word itself isn't actually an insult but of course may cause annoyance in a thread. I think for most English speakers if you were called a poodle you'd probably laugh lol. Having been given an infraction myself for something which really didn't deserve it in the past, I have to say the process usually winds the person up even more rather than cooling a situation. If Knock really did get an infraction for his use of that word then I find that disappointing. I've got no problem with how the forum is run on the whole as I displayed in my first post here, but I hope we don't have mods abusing the power they have. I don't think anything needs to change apart from getting more new faces into the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    Also, as in the recent Natalie Coulthard thread, someone's insensitivity can provoke a very emotional response. I don't want to poke my nose in unnecessarily or act like some old fart, so I hope having become a mod by default (I only wanted to run the WRC Pickem) I can just point out from time to time when a chill pill is required (rather than a full frontal lobotomy!).
    The instance you mention there is a strange one. The comment that provoked such an emotional response was from a poster many of us have known for years now, albeit under several different user-names. The choice of female name was an interesting approach this time around, but I wish he would just stick to it to save embarrassment.

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts

Was it me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on

I think I even got an infraction for calling someone a Poodle I say a lot worse down the pub
    knockie, problem is that personal comments usually brings threads off-topic or even turns them into a personal fight between two or more members, that's why I don't allow them especially on F1 forum. Having said that you know me very well, everyone gets at least a couple of warnings before I give an infraction...let alone a ban
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Spammers and advertisers however are dispatched with immediate effect!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

If warnings go out then fair enough