Page 87 of 94 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Second place - back to normal" - Mikko Hirvonen Mexico 2013

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket
    Really I don't know exactly who is going to challenge Ogier right now at all. If he runs away with the season, fair enough, I've liked Ogier from the start and won't begrudge him the win. I think even Ogier himself though would want a little more competition for the title than it appears we are going to get right now.
    I guess the last piece of hope the other drivers/teams can hold out for is that VW struggle to develop the car in-season. How likely is this? Not very in my opinion. And, since the other teams have catching up to do already, VW don't need to develop an evolution so quickly.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy
    I guess the last piece of hope the other drivers/teams can hold out for is that VW struggle to develop the car in-season. How likely is this? Not very in my opinion. And, since the other teams have catching up to do already, VW don't need to develop an evolution so quickly.
    Yep it doesn't seem likely the other teams will bridge the gap, car and driver seem unbeatable right now. I did wonder if the VW was particularly good with the altitude in Mexico and Portugal might be a little more even. Then I think back to Sweden and think, no, maybe VW + Ogier faster whatever the conditions!

I think there is now also an Ogier factor. He was always quick but sometimes not consistent at the front in the past. He has come back into the top level of WRC though with a thirst for winning and tons of confidence and self belief.

Got to say despite the differences in performance right across the board with the drivers, I really enjoyed this years Mexico!

Liked 209 Times in 60 Posts

S-DV 9032; TO V33681; VLE 756X; IN-NL 67; IN-NZ 9; 704 EXC 75; 294 FPF 75; TO-89095-H; K-AM 5803; K-AM 6983; L 555 BAT; N6 MRE; 206 NDP 75; X20 SRT; S600 WRT; 23 DDM 92; WOB VW 369; SP 1013...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think jari-matti and hirvonen i have made big mistakes leaving ford... When I think about it, it reminds me of mcrae going to citoen from ford, he didnt really have the same pace, it seems that fords are easier to drive on the limit and that citroens and now vw (as develoved by ex citroen ogier) only suit a certain driving style. Something seems strange to me, hirvonen seemed much more competitive before he drove for citroen, and now jari-matti doesnt look comfortable, I dont think that it takes so long to adapt to a different car, not with his experience.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM
    I think jari-matti and hirvonen i have made big mistakes leaving ford... When I think about it, it reminds me of mcrae going to citoen from ford, he didnt really have the same pace, it seems that fords are easier to drive on the limit and that citroens and now vw (as develoved by ex citroen ogier) only suit a certain driving style. Something seems strange to me, hirvonen seemed much more competitive before he drove for citroen, and now jari-matti doesnt look comfortable, I dont think that it takes so long to adapt to a different car, not with his experience.
    Its not quite that simple.
    Both drivers came to Ford as pay drivers and left earning minimal wages. They wanted to make a proper living from rallying and lets not forget - there is no Ford team anymore, just the M-Sport privateer squad

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It doesnt matter about wages, im talking about there speed... Ok its not official Ford but m-sport has the same budget as last season and if jari was still there he would be at the front as last year.

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    When you get paid you have the pressure. That´s the difference.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM
    It doesnt matter about wages, im talking about there speed... Ok its not official Ford but m-sport has the same budget as last season...
    No, M-Sport definately doesn't have the same budget as last season. Now M-Sport have to cover all expences themselves through sponsorship, whereas Ford Motor Co. in previous years covered a lot development expences plus acted as a sponsor moneywise at the same time.

I think a part of Hirvonens problem is that he lacks the common setup cooperation he and Loeb shared last year. With Sordo it's not the same as he's isn't as good a gravel driver. Since this is Citroën's last year in the WRC they will properly end up trying just to defend their Manufacturers title since JML is bound to keep throwing points away in that championship. The drivers' title looks like a lost battle at the moment.
    Supporting Ogier in the WRC & Ferrari in F1 & Ducati in MotoGP.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    No, M-Sport definately doesn't have the same budget as last season. Now M-Sport have to cover all expences themselves through sponsorship, whereas Ford Motor Co. in previous years covered a lot development expences plus acted as a sponsor moneywise at the same time.

I think a part of Hirvonens problem is that he lacks the common setup cooperation he and Loeb shared last year. With Sordo it's not the same as he's isn't as good a gravel driver. Since this is Citroën's last year in the WRC they will properly end up trying just to defend their Manufacturers title since JML is bound to keep throwing points away in that championship. The drivers' title looks like a lost battle at the moment.
    I can see the link in with Loeb's setup, but Hirvonen did not complain about the car once, in fact he seemed really happy with it. He just could not drive it fast enough to challenge Ogier in the VW. I honestly think Hirvonen had a proper go at taking the challenge to Ogier this time too, rather than sitting back and hoping for trouble up front. He did mention going less sideways to be faster, which sounds like the car not surprisingly suits the cleaner Loeb style of driving. It's why I don't really see anything other than Ogier collecting practically full points for the rest of the season. I've a feeling even Loeb would have struggled to keep Ogier in his sights in Mexico, he certainly gave up chasing in Sweden.