Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Im curious to know why Rally America doesnt take to any of the international classes, like R2 and S2000 etc?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mousti
    Ken Block's Fiesta is neither a WRC or RRC. Don't think that WRC are allowed there? And S2000 or RRC how that goes?
    Remember that Rally America top class is called "Open". Rules are really quite open and there shouldn't be anything forbidding current WRC or S2000 cars. EDIT: There's actually requirement that engine block must be derived from production engine, so some cars wouldn't be allowed according to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant_RSA
    Im curious to know why Rally America doesnt take to any of the international classes, like R2 and S2000 etc?
    Well you can drive R2 and I think some actually do. Rallying is really grassroots level in America so homogolated classes would be just increasing cost with no benefit.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkov
    Remember that Rally America top class is called "Open". Rules are really quite open and there shouldn't be anything forbidding current WRC or S2000 cars. EDIT: There's actually requirement that engine block must be derived from production engine, so some cars wouldn't be allowed according to that.

Well you can drive R2 and I think some actually do. Rallying is really grassroots level in America so homogolated classes would be just increasing cost with no benefit.
    there are a few R2 cars running around. according to Mike Hurst the S2000 car is eligible for the open light class, but it wouldn't have any competition. What does an S2000car cost? €250,000 compared to the usual open light car which is about $10-15,000. Our first car was approx $10,000 when it was done. And I would say my new car will be at least double+ that.

There were a few rule changes when the new wrc rules came out and I believe RA was scared people were going to bring wrc cars here and slaughter us. I know the minimum weight for National open class is 2900lbs where the wrc cars is closer to 2600lb. Like you mentioned the engine block, however I believe Mini and Ford use factory blocks with custom heads where as the Citroen uses a specially built block.

And cost is the main reason for not doing international classes. It's already hard enough to people to build an old VW golf or impreza or Merkur on a budget then pay to tow 1000 miles a few times a year. We had group n rules in the early 2000's and it cost everyone way too much.
    2009 Colorado Rally Cup Champion & 2009 CHCA Rookie Of the Year

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mousti
    Ken Block's Fiesta is neither a WRC or RRC. Don't think that WRC are allowed there? And S2000 or RRC how that goes?

Verstuurd van mijn SK17i met Tapatalk
    I believe kens ford is basically the fiesta wrc chassis with the focus wrc 2.0L engine but its modified so he can change things around for rallycross.
    2009 Colorado Rally Cup Champion & 2009 CHCA Rookie Of the Year

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some nice pics here folks...

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    There is an influx of R2 cars because Ford got the five door Fiesta homologated (we don't get the three door) and offers all the parts to build a compliant car. That's really a first in the US, at least recently. Plus one of our rally schools ordered a few and I believe rents them out for events. There were about four at Sno*Drift along with a few less complaint Fiestas with even more power.

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I understand the grassroots statements, just seems like there will only be a few cars who can contest a win in each class, ie those with the deepest pockets.

I speak from a South African point of view where our national series run only S2000 and R2 spec cars, were yet to confirm a number for 2013, but if history repeats we will have around 18 S2000's , obviously taking driver ability into consideration would allow anyone of 18 teams to have a fair shot at winning.

R2 is getting more competitive, with 2 Msport Fords, a few locally developed VW Polo's R2's and what looks to be 4 Toyota Etios R2's being built.

Were going through a tough time in Rallying in SA but still have an ultra competitive series. Sadly i am sitting out this season due to work commitments :-(

Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts

Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    End of Day 2 - Higgins, Burke, O'Sullivan