Page 209 of 340 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 3395
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Talking of levels of professionalism, remember when the Teams each had spotter helicopters in the Group B days. The costs were crazy and the modern teams do it on the cheap in comparison.
    Let's do a comparison table

Number of events - now 14, then you could only count 7 best from 12-13.
    Length of an event - now 300-350 km, then 500-1000 km (and then the African rallies were something else)
    Number of tyres allowed - now 32 per rally per car, in two compounds - back then you could change all tyres after every stage, in unlimited types and compounds.
    Number of services - roughly two hours per day, back then a quick service between every stage
    Type of service - now persistent service park with lots of buildings that take days to put up and tear down, back then the service vans ran after the rally cars
    Recce length - now 2 days, back then unlimited, typically several weeks
    Testing days - now basically one day per driver per rally, back then teams had dedicated test drivers doing long test periods and tyres had to be tested separately
    Limited parts - Only three engines per season is now allowed - back then no limits.

the list goes on...

2. Likes: cali (15th April 2020),doubled1978 (15th April 2020),Fast Eddie WRC (15th April 2020),pantealex (15th April 2020)
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Length of an event - now 300-350 km, then 500-1000 km (and then the African rallies were something else)
    Since the Group B era of the 1980s, it had been protocol for the top teams to assign each car its own spotter helicopter, due to the event’s vast uncontrolled stages. It was “hideously expensive,” according to Paul Howarth, the Subaru team’s former operations director, “but bloody exciting.”

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...s-safari-rally
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    Yes, it wasn’t only 4wd that they changed the sport with....
    Yep, 4WD is Audi lasting legacy to rallysport but they also managed to reshape WRC marketing value, at least for a couple of decades. For sure Dr Piëch would improve Audi results with or without the WRC but the Quattro rally programme was vital to upgrade the brand image, far beyond the basic ‘race on Sunday, sell on Monday’.

Btw, Peugeot with the 205 and later Subaru with the Impreza or Mitsubishi with the Lancer also successfully upgraded their brands image with the help of a serious WRC effort, but with so many changes since the late 90's is the series still challenging enough to provide manus that kind of evolution?
    Rally addict since 1982

5. Likes: pantealex (17th April 2020)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Colin Clark’s top 10 rallying memories: A passion is born

Our voice of rally begins his countdown with his first visit stageside, as he unknowingly befriended a Monte legend

https://www.dirtfish.com/rally/colin...ssion-is-born/

Volkswagen Motorsport (+ Ogier/Ingrassia) also raised the level of professionalism when they joined the WRC in 2013.

I dont think it made much of a difference to their image or sales though... and certainly not enough to offset the following diesel-gate crisis.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Yep, 4WD is Audi lasting legacy to rallysport but they also managed to reshape WRC marketing value, at least for a couple of decades. For sure Dr Piëch would improve Audi results with or without the WRC but the Quattro rally programme was vital to upgrade the brand image, far beyond the basic ‘race on Sunday, sell on Monday’.

Btw, Peugeot with the 205 and later Subaru with the Impreza or Mitsubishi with the Lancer also successfully upgraded their brands image with the help of a serious WRC effort, but with so many changes since the late 90's is the series still challenging enough to provide manus that kind of evolution?
    I’m not sure a brand can come and expect the amazing impact that the Audi & Subaru programmes in particular had, those two in particular had incredible results to their brand image. In fairness to Audi, after rallying they used motorsport very well to promote the brand, the USA adventure of Pikes Peak, Trans-Am and IMSA did great things for them in America, and they came home to Germany and gave Merc and BMW a hiding in the DTM with that V8 Limo DTM car, went to Super Touring and dominated with the A4, and then the Le Mans programme gave them so many technical opportunities and successes.
    Subaru on the other hand, did nothing after rally and now I’d struggle to know what they sell.
    Oddly if the Puma thing is true for Ford, actually that class of car (small SUV) could provide the WRC with a lifeline as they sell in huge numbers, and they are suited to the look of a rally car rather than circuit cars.
    I guess the reasons for a brand to get involved in any motorsport differ relative to what they trying to achieve, as has been said on this forum before Opel feels like a brand that needs a programme of some sort to help it get on the map again, and rallying is probably a good fit for the in terms of the brands they would competing with.
    I still can’t get my head around Renault in F1 really, despite the fact they have at times been very successful, the brand feels out of place with Ferrari and Mercedes and even Honda, and now they don’t win anything how they justify it is beyond me.

9. Likes: pantealex (17th April 2020),Rally Power (16th April 2020),the sniper (16th April 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Volkswagen Motorsport (+ Ogier/Ingrassia) also raised the level of professionalism when they joined the WRC in 2013.
    How? Or did they just do it better? I don't believe they were able to use more resources than in the 80's and 90's or even the 00's.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    I dont think it made much of a difference to their image or sales though... and certainly not enough to offset the following diesel-gate crisis.
    The question is about to know if the WRC is still relevant to change the brands image, like it happened with Audi, Peugeot, Subaru and Mitsubishi in the past.

That doesn’t mean that image revamping should be the main purpose for all manus entering the WRC, as clearly it wasn’t in VW case.

Btw, here’s a nice piece about the Quattro origin and aims, by Wheels magazine: https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/quattro-history

and Prodrive study on Subaru's WRC effect:
    https://www.prodrive.com/motorsport-casestudies-swrt/
    Last edited by Rally Power; 16th April 2020 at 20:56.
    Rally addict since 1982

12. Likes: cali (17th April 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    How? Or did they just do it better? I don't believe they were able to use more resources than in the 80's and 90's or even the 00's.
    We dont know their spending but VW certainly had plenty of money. But whatever it was, they came in and utterly dominated the existing WRC teams.

To me i wasnt just money though, but rather that their greater professionalism = Better. And as stated Ogier/Ingrassia had a lot to do with that too.

They gave Ogier a year in the Fabia to prepare; their Polo WRC was a tank as well as fast; Ogier drove the team and engineers to excel; and Jost Capito had huge experience and left no stone unturned or anything to chance. VW Motorsport was a machine !

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    We dont know their spending but VW certainly had plenty of money. But whatever it was, they came in and utterly dominated the existing WRC teams.

To me i wasnt just money though, but rather that their greater professionalism = Better. And as stated Ogier/Ingrassia had a lot to do with that too.

They gave Ogier a year in the Fabia to prepare; their Polo WRC was a tank as well as fast; Ogier drove the team and engineers to excel; and Jost Capito had huge experience and left no stone unturned or anything to chance. VW Motorsport was a machine !
    all of these, Citroen did for a decade.Nothing new.Plenty of money,proffesionalism,cars fast out of the box,dominating etc

15. Likes: AnttiL (17th April 2020),Rallyper (17th April 2020)