Page 168 of 336 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 3351
    Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    Impossible. in Belgium and France the cars aren't very limited, but can't compete with the top R5 cars. So competing with WRC is impossible.
    Humanly impossible ? I love challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    The problem with that idea is that those 2WD gr.B Lancias 037 were not semi-production GTs. They were pure purpose-built race cars. In this point of view F2 kit cars were closer to them them than the current heavy GTs.

Also in that time the 4WD cars were young and suffered from issues which have long been overcome such as massive understeering or no chance to use handbrake turns on asphalt.

For sure it would be possible to win certain asphalt events with 2WD car if suitable rules are created but what you'll get would be nothing close to the production GT but rather some crazy prototype which would cost even more than WRC.

Granted, it is not going to be cheap, but that is not my point. I think it will be cool and I would relish the challenge if the right opportunity came about

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRally View Post
    Granted, it is not going to be cheap, but that is not my point. I think it will be cool and I would relish the challenge if the right opportunity came about
    But why would somebody do that for 2-3 events in the calendar?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

3. Likes: AnttiL (29th January 2019)
    But why would somebody do that for 2-3 events in the calendar?
    Mirek, I appreciate that a factory is unlikely to do this, but money does not have to come from a factory, motorsport is booming at private level and there a reasonable number of potential scenarios where a privateer can get involved as long as the right environment is established, which once again I appreciate, is unlikely.

I think that it's not worth the effort. Creation of such environment also needs a lot of work to be done by FIA and the promoter. I prefer if they are building on what already works well instead of wasting time and resources on experiments with very questionably outcome.

6. Likes: pantealex (29th January 2019),Rallyper (29th January 2019),the sniper (31st January 2019)
    I understand your point.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    911’s won lots of events (and even championships) in Spain against S2000 or R5 cars, until they got a huge restrictor. It’d be nice to have a fair BoP allowing GT’s to battle R5 cars in national series and even on WRC tarmac events, but WRC cars should always remain as the pinnacle class of the sport. This said and once WRC cars are purposed build protos, it’d be fantastic to allow future WRC cars (always 4wd) to have a more diversified look, allowing GT or Coupe shaped cars.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 30th January 2019 at 23:26.
    Rally addict since 1982

9. Likes: AndyRAC (31st January 2019),GravelBen (31st January 2019),NickRally (31st January 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    911’s won lots of events (and even championships) in Spain against S2000 or R5 cars, until they got a huge restrictor. It’d be nice to have a fair BoP allowing GT’s to battle R5 cars in national series and even on WRC tarmac events, but WRC cars should always remain as the pinnacle class of the sport. This said and once WRC cars are purposed build protos, it’d be fantastic to allow future WRC cars (always 4wd) to have a more diversified look, allowing GT or Coupe shaped cars.
    I know I am biased, but I would support this

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    As a route enthusiast I sometimes enjoy planning my own versions of WRC rallies. After archiving old RAC rallies I came up with the idea of planning a version of the current Rally GB that would be situated in Northern England and contain the classic Kielder and Grizedale stages. I just don't know anything about the roads in the area other than what was driven 30 years ago, and nothing about how the roads are today, or how the current political situation would interfere with driving a stage or two in Scotland. But here's something I came up with

Version 1: Newcastle-based

Thursday: Ceremonial start in Carlisle
    Friday: Morning leg consisting of Comb and ~30 km Grizedale (combining the old East and West versions). Repeat, drive towards Newcastle and do one run of Stang on the way towards afternoon service in Newcastle. Evening leg has Hamsterley, repeat of Stang and then again Hamsterley, super special in the late evening.
    Saturday: Three stages in Kielder, for example Pundershaw, Wauchope and Redesdale. Midday service in Newcastle and repeat of the stages.
    Sunday: Two ~10 km stages in Yorkshire – versions of Gale Rigg and Dalby with latter as power stage.

In this version the long liaisons on Sunday morning and Friday midday bother me, so I came up with another one

Version 2: Carlisle-based
    Thursday: Super special in Carlisle
    Friday: Morning leg again Comb and 30 km Grizedale, both repeated, then midday service on Carlisle. Afternoon leg on the North side with a stage combining Twiglees and Castle O'Er (20 km) and 10 km Craik. In the middle single-run 10 km Kershope and then repeats of Castle O'Er and Craik.
    Saturday: Kielder, as in version 1
    Sunday: Stang and Hamsterley, latter as shorter version and as power stage

If we could find more stages in the area between Carlisle and Grizedale we could base the whole Friday in that area and have instead Sunday in Scotland to make the timetable looser and have even less liaisons.

If you know about stages run in the area, drop a comment

12. Likes: bearclaw (1st February 2019),Morte66 (1st February 2019),NickRally (1st February 2019),the sniper (1st February 2019),TWRC (1st February 2019)
    I have to admit I also sometimes build myself stages or even whole rallies (including virtual WRC event) on the maps of my country (and since nearly every field road here has its street view on several map servers it's pretty easy to find great roads which will sadly never happen to become rally stages).

14. Likes: AnttiL (1st February 2019),bearclaw (1st February 2019),sindroms (1st February 2019)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I have to admit I also sometimes build myself stages or even whole rallies (including virtual WRC event) on the maps of my country (and since nearly every field road here has its street view on several map servers it's pretty easy to find great roads which will sadly never happen to become rally stages).
    Yeah, obviously I've planned more routes for Rally Finland, where I know more about the roads, more roads used in local rallies and their state today. It's a fun puzzle to try to make a route that fits the current limitations (like 80 km of kilometres per leg). I can only imagine how complicated it is when you have also the marketing side and road permissions in the equation as well.

16. Likes: bearclaw (1st February 2019)