Page 274 of 335 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 3347
    Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Nobody seeing the business opportunity then?

Please don't blame the young because times have changed.
    Been thinking of some possible ways this could be done as a business for a while, offering a service to motor clubs to do all the applications for road closures etc however you first have to understand the "politics" that surround clubs and the egos that are involved. Its often the same people who are complaining of the amount of time they give up that are most reluctant to cede control of their events to others. Once spoke with a promoter of a major UK Rally championship and he told me that it was like herding cats trying to get 6 event organisers to agree on a standard format!

There would be a cost involved to clubs obviously and without big sponsors I'm not sure how many would be able to afford to "contract out".

Its clear something has to be done otherwise the proposed saviour of UK rallying, i.e closed roads will be dead in the gate before the tape drops.

Regards the average age of organisers, I've seen event after event talk of combined ages of their teams in high 100's. The fact is the motorclub structure just doesnt appeal to younger people and quite often the atmosphere around rallies is very poe faced and lacks "fun". I know that is because of rules and regs, insurance needs etc however it doesnt help get people engaged.

I guess motorsport of the traditional type in general could be on borrowed time on the island however am still interested to know how other countries go around thier business so we can learn from them.

2. Likes: AndyRAC (19th September 2022),cali (19th September 2022),J4MIE (19th September 2022),WRCStan (19th September 2022)
    Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    I would like to recommend you a documentary series on Netflix titled "Bad sport" that I saw last week. Especially interesting for us is episode no. 2 - about a hippie and pot dealer, who turns into a famous racing driver. It doesn't have anything to do with rallying, but it's still a great story:
    https://www.netflix.com/pl-en/title/81084829
    Last edited by Jarek Z; 19th September 2022 at 12:18.
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Saw the Renault 5 electric concept "driftcar".

Yet another example of how major manu uses electric "sport" car for promotion. Other recent big ones are the BMW thing with Extreme E base and off course the Electric Quatro from Block

And yet another example of how people claiming here that electric car adds/promotion will only be about driving slowly and using least energy were wrong. Two years ago that was the dominant idea here.

Thing is people don't change. They want to buy things cause they are cool and offer something new. Which is why this kind of advertising works.

5. Likes: J4MIE (12th October 2022),lmmjvss (19th October 2022)
    Only issue I have with a lot of these electric "concepts" is that the makers are trying to court favour by using iconic ICE models as the base rather than coming up with new designs. As the heart of those cars (the engine) has been ripped out to make way for all the batteries it kind of looses the point, at least Block's new Audi other than having traditional colours isnt trying too hard to be an ur Quattro.

I always thought the future was about the new and expected more "Jetsons" imagineering and space age design rather than the restomod approach. Ironically a lot of older machinery was hardly efficient design wise so it makes me grin that the manufacturers by sticking electric gubbins in these cars seem to be able to conveniently gloss over that!

Have to say love the look of the "5" and as long as my teeth dont have to suffer hearing it in real life would ne more than happy to see it in action on YT with the sound turned off.

7. Likes: pantealex (25th September 2022)
    Liked 661 Times in 290 Posts
    Rally Australia 2011 Hayden Paddon finished P6 overall driving a PWRC car. At the time it was the best ever overall finish for a PWRC car.
    Is Hayden's P6 in a Rally 2 car last weekend at Rally NZ the best overall result for a Rally 2 car against the current Hybrid WRC cars ?

EDIT - found answer to my own question. Stephane Lefebvre was first rally 2 driver to achieve a P6 overall against the hybrid Rally 1 cars. Stephane did it at Ypres Rally Belgium driving a Citroen C3
    Last edited by KiwiWRCfan; 10th October 2022 at 08:20.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiWRCfan View Post
    Rally Australia 2011 Hayden Paddon finished P6 overall driving a PWRC car. At the time it was the best ever overall finish for a PWRC car.
    Is Hayden's P6 in a Rally 2 car last weekend at Rally NZ the best overall result for a Rally 2 car against the current Hybrid WRC cars ?

EDIT - found answer to my own question. Stephane Lefebvre was first rally 2 driver to achieve a P6 overall against the hybrid Rally 1 cars. Stephane did it at Ypres Rally Belgium driving a Citroen C3
    I think it's a bit silly when the position is not based on the low class driver's speed but the amount of retirements for the top class.

10. Likes: cali (10th October 2022),pantealex (13th October 2022)
    Liked 661 Times in 290 Posts
    An Irishman and a Kiwi walked into a bar and talked rally.
    OK they were not in a bar but they share a passion for rally and they talked a lot about Rally NZ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhl84Z5g9fE

I'd prefer it if they talked about rallying

13. Likes: cali (11th October 2022)
    Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
    The young Australians have been the quickest at the FIA Rally Star talent search (Asia Pacific region) event in Chennai, India.

I saw at least one of the Australians had done some pre-event cross-kart training.

https://www.fia.com/news/young-talen...ic-final-india

Taylor Gill from Newcastle, NSW, Aus won the Asia Pacific Rally Star title.

from Facebook "FIA Rally Star Asia-Pacific continental Final winner������
    Wow! Honestly Lost for words, bring on next year����
    Massive thanks to everyone who got me here!
    Thanks to everyone for the messages and support, will catch up when I’m back in Australia
    Over and out��
    #fiarallystar #bethenextone
    FIA
    Motorsport Australia
    ARC - Motorsport Australia Rally Championship"
    Last edited by Humber; 12th October 2022 at 19:20.

Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Jeez, rally drivers are younger and younger these days. First Rovanpera, then Solberg, and now... 7-year old Niccolo Perico (son of Italian rally driver Alessandro Perico):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-offyRyDH6E
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!