Page 75 of 340 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Why would you use snow chains if you already have winter tyres...?

Only trucks from south of Europe who are stupid enough to drive on summer tyres in Norway use that.
    Winter tyres in a number of countries (including UK) just refers to a rubber compound that gives the same (or similar) level of grip at <5deg C on tarmac as a summer tyre would at >18. So on ice and compacted snow such a tyre is equally useless as a summer tyre. Not everyone has a set of studded black things in the garage!
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 52 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    Winter tyres in a number of countries (including UK) just refers to a rubber compound that gives the same (or similar) level of grip at <5deg C on tarmac as a summer tyre would at >18. So on ice and compacted snow such a tyre is equally useless as a summer tyre. Not everyone has a set of studded black things in the garage!
    That is why you should look for the alpine marking not only M+S on your winter tyres.

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    To me M+S also means wider tread even without studs. M+S can´t mean summer tread in one country and winter tread in Scandinavia.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 798 Times in 380 Posts
    It is no such thing as a all-season tyre. It will be bad in the summer, and dangerous at winter. Nordic wintertyres has a different rubbermix than the european wintertyres, the last one is not suitable at real icy and cold roads.

It is possible to rent proper wintertyres, atleast in norway, it is somewhere close to where the ferry/Wessel from denmark/germany lands in Oslo. Lots of danish tourists rents these when they go skiing in the mountains.
    Some want to save some money and use snowchains instead, but that is an ass to drive at not snowcovered roads, and will probably brake when you need them. Its always some tourists blocking the roads up here because of this.

Sent fra min XP7700 via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

5. Likes: cali (26th January 2017)
    Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    I'm sure I and SubaruNorway are both talking about winter tires that are used in our region (Scandinavian peninsula, Finland and the Baltics). And those winter tires are very different than what majority of Europeans refer to winter tires. Like Mintex mentioned, those are just a bit softer compound summer tires
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

7. Likes: cali (26th January 2017),EstWRC (26th January 2017),sindroms (26th January 2017)
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Indeed, tire makers produce a lot of different winter tires for almost every occasion. And they clearly differ north european winter tires from the ones suitable for central and south europe.
    Northern ones are much softer, with different thread design (many small, soft blocks to get a grip). So called soft winter tires are actually a lot harder, thread resambles a combination of winter and summer tires and their main aim is to offer better traction/stability in cool and wet conditions, not proper snow/ice. Also, most of european countries don't allow studded tires, which are necessity in scandinavia. Even if want to go to Austria, where studs are allowed, I need to somehow drive around poland, where studs are prohibited. That's why i have a dillema, what to choose for next winter, because I like to put a car on track in winter too, when studless tires are sometimes powerless...
    Snow chains are useful in situations like monte, where you are mostly on the dry tarmac and will encounter snow/ice only going up in mountains, when you can prepare before it.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tolx View Post
    Indeed, tire makers produce a lot of different winter tires for almost every occasion. And they clearly differ north european winter tires from the ones suitable for central and south europe.
    Northern ones are much softer, with different thread design (many small, soft blocks to get a grip). So called soft winter tires are actually a lot harder, thread resambles a combination of winter and summer tires and their main aim is to offer better traction/stability in cool and wet conditions, not proper snow/ice. Also, most of european countries don't allow studded tires, which are necessity in scandinavia. Even if want to go to Austria, where studs are allowed, I need to somehow drive around poland, where studs are prohibited. That's why i have a dillema, what to choose for next winter, because I like to put a car on track in winter too, when studless tires are sometimes powerless...
    Snow chains are useful in situations like monte, where you are mostly on the dry tarmac and will encounter snow/ice only going up in mountains, when you can prepare before it.
    I have been driving studless nordic winter tires for the last 10-12 years (RWD, FWD, 4WD, small cars, big cars etc). In our region the conditions change a lot but no real problems experienced. Have been spectating Rally Sweden about 4-5 times - FWD minivan studless tires, RWD minivan studded tires, 4WD cars with and without studs etc., again no issues whatsoever. You have to adapt to the car and tyre combo.

I would take studless winter tires any day - quiet and comfortable tires which are allowed throughout Europe.Universal choice for people who travel a lot. Studded tires only for specific regions - lots of ice, mountains etc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    I have been driving studless nordic winter tires for the last 10-12 years (RWD, FWD, 4WD, small cars, big cars etc). In our region the conditions change a lot but no real problems experienced. Have been spectating Rally Sweden about 4-5 times - FWD minivan studless tires, RWD minivan studded tires, 4WD cars with and without studs etc., again no issues whatsoever. You have to adapt to the car and tyre combo.

I would take studless winter tires any day - quiet and comfortable tires which are allowed throughout Europe.Universal choice for people who travel a lot. Studded tires only for specific regions - lots of ice, mountains etc.

I think it depends where you do your driving mostly. I used studless tires (Nokian) for a winter in South-Estonia and never again. If you drive 80-90% in city and main road, then you are probably fine, but I've been situations where you just can't get up to the hill w/o studs. If we are discussing here tourists who don't have any experience in icy conditions, studs will help a lot, but of course, it all starts from driving skills and cautions.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannes36 View Post
    I think it depends where you do your driving mostly. I used studless tires (Nokian) for a winter in South-Estonia and never again. If you drive 80-90% in city and main road, then you are probably fine, but I've been situations where you just can't get up to the hill w/o studs. If we are discussing here tourists who don't have any experience in icy conditions, studs will help a lot, but of course, it all starts from driving skills and cautions.
    I have clocked approx 35000 - 45000 km every year, on every thinkable road condition and still think studless are the best option. But yes, you need to understand and apply basic driving skills required to do well on slippery roads.

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    So M+S means different things in different countries in Europe?

Studded tyres when driving 2WD. Studless on 4WD and mainly driving on main roads, maybe also for 2WD..
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...