Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Maybe, but if it went north. there would be no Clocaenog or Resolfen or the Dyfis or Gartheniog or half a dozen other brilliant stages.

Liked 40 Times in 12 Posts
    Having now done both the RAC and WRGB, there's no doubt in my mind that the better stages are in Wales.
    https://www.facebook.com/BritishRallyMedia/

MJW
    I just realised it was 1995 that a full status WRC GB had a forest stage outdide Wales. OK '96 was due to rotation not a full WRC status. 1997 out if Cheltenham had the stately homes and silverstone day but all forest stage kilometres were run in Wales. Just to think that as (of last year) the wrc's elder statesmen of Seb Loeb and Petter havent driven a forest stage in GB wrc outside Wales. Looking back at the history books the 1996 entry list is vastly different to now. To think Seb Loeb, who in a short period of time has totally dominated the sport and will probably be classified as the best rally driver ever has only done stages in Wales.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Yes, though is Radnor Wales?

However, he’s missed the delights of’ Killer’ Kielder, Dalby, Langdale, Grizedale, Dalbeattie, Ae, Craik, etc
    I would like to see 3 year rotation return – so 3 years in the North, then Midlands, and the South – you’d still have Welsh stages for 6/9 years, apart from the North years. That way the event can be taken around to the public – all it needs is a commercial sponsor.
    Sadly, it can’t happen.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
    Just sitting here in work looking at my address which definitely states 'Deeside', 'Flintshire'...Flintshire being a Welsh county....

From what I gather there are two options for the actual service area, within a stones throw of Toyota's factory....as regards to subjecting the towns hereabouts to abuse, bit harsh really...the closure of massive steelworks absolutely ripped the heart out of the area in the late 70's and it's taken this long to rebuild them...Wrexham too is really trying to pull it's image up.

Yes i'm biased living here but from a logistical point of view. Manchester and Liverpool airports within 45 minutes...large cities (Manchester/Liverpool/Leeds/Birmingham) all within a 2 hour radius, loads of hotels etc....

The good having something like this would do for the area and indeed the N Wales relationship with Welsh assembly cannot be underestimated....that's before you think of the stage possibilities.

Just on a slight tangent...comparisons with the Roger Albert Clark seem somewhat unfair....it's a different event becuase it's classics but it actually uses an almost identical route format. 2 bases with cloverleaf route (repeat stages) and central service...the only difference being the geographical locations in the UK...

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    I would like to see 3 year rotation return – so 3 years in the North, then Midlands, and the South – you’d still have Welsh stages for 6/9 years, apart from the North years. That way the event can be taken around to the public – all it needs is a commercial sponsor.
    I believe the Wales-only route is the main reason, even beyond the lack of a top-line British driver, for the decline in interest in the UK. Even the day of spectator stages, derided at the time but which attracted enormous crowds, now seems hugely worthwhile compared to some crappy blast around a stadium.

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I believe the Wales-only route is the main reason, even beyond the lack of a top-line British driver, for the decline in interest in the UK. Even the day of spectator stages, derided at the time but which attracted enormous crowds, now seems hugely worthwhile compared to some crappy blast around a stadium.
    Different era mate, I am worried about thelong term viability of all motorsports. General public just are not interested. Plus this and previous governments attacks on motoring in general is making youngsters turn away from cars. To blame the demise of interest on the route and the fact there is no British driver takes no account of internet / facebook distraction etc. you try insurining a basic car for a youngster, motoring is being priced out of their reach and they have found alternative interests. When we were st the Mid Wales Rally forum with Ari and DR as guests a quick look around the audience and we were virtually all male 40 to 50 something year olds.

Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
    There was a bunch of us in our 20's and 30's down the front of the audience..lol

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    Different era mate, I am worried about thelong term viability of all motorsports. General public just are not interested. Plus this and previous governments attacks on motoring in general is making youngsters turn away from cars. To blame the demise of interest on the route and the fact there is no British driver takes no account of internet / facebook distraction etc. you try insurining a basic car for a youngster, motoring is being priced out of their reach and they have found alternative interests. When we were st the Mid Wales Rally forum with Ari and DR as guests a quick look around the audience and we were virtually all male 40 to 50 something year olds.
    Lots of other outdoor events show no overall decline in attendance in spite of these new distractions. I think taking rallying further away from large sections of the attending public was a big mistake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll never consider it Rally GB unless it includes stages outside Wales. Bring back Kielder!
    Colin Steele McRae ...5 August 1968 - 15 September 2007...