Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Failures

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I remember Janspeed having some link to it yes, but not GA.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts

Of course, Team 48 wasn't the first footballer-backed failure...

Encke Sport Vauxhall Astra Coupe

What was the plan?

In early January 2007, goalkeeper Peter Enckelman announced he was setting up a BTCC team, to be managed by Ed Tilley, also rumoured to be one of the drivers. The team actually got as far as buying three ancient Vauxhall Astra Coupes, as well as announcing a number of staff appointments. They also announced plans for a pair of S2000 cars for the following season.

What happened?

The team at a very minimum had access to a pair of Vauxhall Astra Coupes, and judging from the classified ads in Autosport a few months later, actually owned at least two of them. They never ran, no testing, no drivers were ever announced and the team just disappeared into thin air.

Chance of revival?

If Enckelman really wanted to the BTCC, being an ex-Premier League footballer means he probably has the money to do so. I rather doubt we'll ever hear of this project again however.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Damn you beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
    I remember Janspeed having some link to it yes, but not GA.
    The two organisations were closely related — before Janspeed went under, of course.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm pretty certain of that too. A vague recollection suggests that Keith Greene, who had been the Renault team boss, was involved, though I couldn't be sure of that. Did they perhaps run the Motorola-backed BMWs Harvey and Justin Bell drove in the Asia-Pacific series, or was that another team?
    Possibly. I'd have to look at some old magazines to see. Not exactly sure what happened to GB Motorsport after 1994. Giles Butterfield (the GB) is now Jonathan Palmer's right-hand man at MSV.

Don't know. Weren't all sorts of outfits involved with TMSR, after ABG Motorsport pulled out of the Lexus programme, by the end of 2001 — Janspeed and GA Motorsport, for example? It really was a shame the whole affair became such a shambles, because the car seemed to have real potential.
    GA-Janspeed was the name wasn't it? I can't think off the top of my head, when it all happened exactly. TMSR was a motorsport news website that sponsored the ABG car, which then became the title sponsor. It seems that ABG split in half, with one partner owning the car and equipment and the other half the workshops. Hence the GA tie-up. I'm sure one of them used to post on here back then.

Just found this link, where Toyota were actually giving press to the Lexus project. ABG Motorsport - UK Media Site
    You lot still here?!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    GA-Janspeed was the name wasn't it?
    Before Janspeed disappeared, yes. Pretty sure, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    I can't think off the top of my head, when it all happened exactly.
    The ABG/TMSR split occurred mid-way through the 2001 season, I recall.

When one considers what happened to JSM and ABG/TMSR with their efforts to build new BTCC cars, I must say it makes the achievements of such as Rob Austin look all the more impressive. Yes, more standard parts are involved nowadays, but building a car — especially a competitive car — is never an easy task, to say nothing of what's required to get a team onto a stable footing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There was also RJN Motorsport who announced plans to enter a Nissan Primera for the 2004 season. I recall seeing a photo of their car, but obviously nothing came of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cos
    There was also RJN Motorsport who announced plans to enter a Nissan Primera for the 2004 season. I recall seeing a photo of their car, but obviously nothing came of it.
    Ah yes, it was a re-shelled version of the car they ran in the ETCC in 2002 I think.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
    Ah yes, it was a re-shelled version of the car they ran in the ETCC in 2002 I think.
    I did see one of the two 2002 cars for sale the other week, may have been in Scandinavia. Can't remember which site it was on.
    You lot still here?!