Page 181 of 227 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 2266

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I think shortening to two days with the same kilometres would be a positive thing, it would increase the endurance element and give more value for spectator per traveling day.
    Is it more value if they can't actually get to as many stages to watch because the timetable is more compressed?

2. Likes: jonkka (13th December 2018),pantealex (9th December 2018),the sniper (8th December 2018),tommeke_B (8th December 2018)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    I think shortening to two days with the same kilometres would be a positive thing, it would increase the endurance element and give more value for spectator per traveling day.
    How on earth would it increase the endurance element, if it were the same distance?

4. Likes: jonkka (13th December 2018)
    Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Is it more value if they can't actually get to as many stages to watch because the timetable is more compressed?
    For me two days just makes it more stressful, it sort of works if you can watch a couple of stages on Thursday night like it was in Finland some years, but having the podium start close to 8 in the evening on Saturday and then going out for dinner and enjoy it a bit didn't work for me, too tired!
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

6. Likes: cali (9th December 2018),GravelBen (9th December 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    A typical rally is like this: 3 stages late in the morning, service, repeat of the same stages mid-afternoon. If we would stretch the day to start earlier and end later we would have a third loop of stages which would mean a spectator could see three stages instead of two.

8. Likes: TWRC (9th December 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    How on earth would it increase the endurance element, if it were the same distance?
    Simply the days of driving would be longer and rest breaks shorter. I would also imagine it would require the organizers to go for longer stages to make more efficient timetables.

10. Likes: Allez Andruet (9th December 2018),T16 (9th December 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    For me two days just makes it more stressful, it sort of works if you can watch a couple of stages on Thursday night like it was in Finland some years, but having the podium start close to 8 in the evening on Saturday and then going out for dinner and enjoy it a bit didn't work for me, too tired!
    Increases the endurance element too much?

There's many ways to arrange a "two-day rally". What if it would be from Friday to Sunday. Friday starting with shakedown, then superspecial and one leg of stages in the evening. On Saturday, three legs of stages instead of two. Sunday as it is. We'd have the same amount of stages but one day less work (and one day less traveling for spectators). But I'm not sure they could make it work that simply in rallies with more busy schedules such as Finland and Wales. They would need some re-structuring and more longer stages.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 9th December 2018 at 07:34.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    A typical rally is like this: 3 stages late in the morning, service, repeat of the same stages mid-afternoon. If we would stretch the day to start earlier and end later we would have a third loop of stages which would mean a spectator could see three stages instead of two.
    Thats a fair point with WRC, I wasn't really thinking about repeat stages - as long as the spectators don't mind watching a repeat at the same stage or the other spectator points are close enough to travel to between loops I guess.

My thinking was more from experience with NZ rallies where we don't really repeat stages and the midday service is often remote - so there can be some distance to drive in between spectating stages, with a tight timeframe especially if you stay and watch the whole field (100+ cars for some rallies). Some people will spend the whole day leaving a stage after the top 10-20 to try and catch them at every stage, while others like me will normally stay for most of the field but only get to 2 or 3 stages each day. All part of the fun though.

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    North Island rallies can have repeat stages, to limit the number of road closures to a reduced area.

2018 Raglan national rally - 4 stages repeated twice with 1 service location.

http://nzrallychamps.co.nz/wp-conten...LLY-MAP-V2.pdf

Even the recent Silver Fern had repeat stages. I would not like to know the budgets of some competitors - spare engines and 8 days on the road. etc

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Simply the days of driving would be longer and rest breaks shorter. I would also imagine it would require the organizers to go for longer stages to make more efficient timetables.
    But wouldn't it mean increasing the mileage by about 30k each day? (to absorb the current Sunday miles). If that's the case, it really won't be increasing the endurance element further.

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    But wouldn't it mean increasing the mileage by about 30k each day? (to absorb the current Sunday miles). If that's the case, it really won't be increasing the endurance element further.
    Well there's many ways to configure a rally. My idea would be like this (as I already posted)

FRIDAY
    - morning shakedown
    - afternoon ceremonial start and super special
    - evening loop of stages

SATURDAY
    - three loops of stages

SUNDAY
    - as it is now

This would make Saturday a long day that you would have to survive through. Retiring on the first Saturday loop would also mean lots of Rally2 penalties and lots of missed stages. This setup would also incorporate most likely driving in the dark on both Friday and Saturday.

But of course, you could just start rally on the Friday morning and have two long days, with finish on Saturday evening. That would just make the ending of the rally very late and start very early, which many not be ideal for TV (instead of Friday evening and Sunday afternoon).
    Last edited by AnttiL; 9th December 2018 at 10:39.