Page 166 of 227 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 2266

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Great interview...thanks a lot!

what still buzzes me and always will (because i have asked this before but havent got an answer) is what went wrong between 2016 and 2017....i remember him sayin good things about the new car in 2016, i think it was at finland that year where he said "just wait till I get into the new car".

But then came 2017 and all is suddenly so wrong.
    My guess would be they didn't know what the competition would be like, they could only compare performance to the previous gen of car. Being behind the curve in 2017 led to the inevitable overdriving.

Two sides to this story (car has problems, but Meeke was the development driver of it), but will be good to move on from it. I would have liked to see Meeke at MSport (he may be the only driver on the market capable of winning in it) but glad to see him get another 'final' shot next year.
    aka Rodger Davies

2. Likes: Rally Power (9th November 2018),the sniper (9th November 2018)
    Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Test before germany 2017 with DS3 driven as well is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlAI3DmNOlY (35s in)
    and linked here:
    https://www.motorsportforums.com/sho...=1#post1149635
    and also on page 61 in this very thread.

First ever test of C3 by Loeb was 6? days later. Test for Catalunya by Loeb with DS3 present was about a month? later.

Anyway the point wasn't to nitpick. It's 14 months ago and if this was oral interview it's not like people should remember all things exactly. Just that when it's written down these kind of small things stand out.

-----------
    It seems I introduced double confusion when I wrote germany 2016 in my post and you then responded with test schedule for 2016. Obviously C3 wasn't out before germany 2016...
    Sorry for the typo.
    So they only bring the DS3 to a tarmac surface, 1 year after C3 was concieved? on a surface Meeke admits it was OK anyways.
    Anyway there is so much more to the interview besides this.
    Meeke was told to go out and win, and he said he was stupid enought to do that, and should have quit.
    He even offered his resignation.. but they didnt accept.
    He also made a effort to negotiate an amicable end, and Citroen didnt reply. So says... 'it will be settled another way'... I presume he means the lawyers, and the word 'will' means it must be ongoing.
    Meeke is the truth, and seems to be a man of honestly and integrity. I tend to believe his story, as the evidence is there to support it.
    I wonder why Meeke gave interview to Auto Hebdo.. and not the Autosport / David Evans?
    Last edited by wrc2017; 9th November 2018 at 18:58.

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    First of all, thank you very much tr4m for posting this. Fascinating read. And props to Meeke for honestly telling things as he sees them. Is it "the truth"? Ofcourse not. But it's the truth for Kris Meeke and that's more than enough.

The only thing not for my liking was the way Meeke tried to play the victim card - so to say - when it came to development of the C3 WRC. Okay, so he was the only test driver without anyone to share the feelings with, and there was no DS3 WRC available for comparison, but... once you've flagged these issues as show-stoppers (you get the assumption from the story that Meeke did just that) and they don't lead to any changes, you basically have two options: to walk away or to stick with your role. And - in my books - choosing the latter means accepting the decision of not changing anything and with that also comes the obligation of not playing the wise guy later on. I.e. if I was mr. Matton or mr. Budar, I'd be pissed off for breaking that "code".
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

5. Likes: Rally Power (9th November 2018)
    Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2017 View Post
    So they only bring the DS3 to a tarmac surface, 1 year after C3 was concieved? on a surface Meeke admits it was OK anyways.
    Anyway there is so much more to the interview besides this.
    Meeke was told to go out and win, and he said he was stupid enought to do that, and should have quit.
    He even offered his resignation.. but they didnt accept.
    He also made a effort to negotiate an amicable end, and Citroen didnt reply. So says... 'it will be settled another way'... I presume he means the lawyers, and the word 'will' means it must be ongoing.
    Meeke is the truth, and seems to be a man of honestly and integrity. I tend to believe his story, as the evidence is there to support it.
    I wonder why Meeke gave interview to Auto Hebdo.. and not the Autosport / David Evans?

I have to say on this I tend to agree with you that he is telling the truth, he seems quite open to the fact that he made mistakes, and was equally happy to praise the engine, so it wasn't a complete slagging off of them from start to finish.
    But if this is all true, is a damning indictment of Citroen Sport and their refusal to accept the car was fundamentally flawed, and that only when other drivers (Mikk, Loeb, Ostberg) all said the same thing did they have to change their stance.
    And lets be honest, anyone who has watched plenty of motorsport could see it was crap. It was obvious from all the on boards that he just didn't trust it, you could see him reluctant to lean on it, and he was opening the steering wherever possible to take the load off the outside rear tyre.

And as for the guys saying he was positive about the car in the early days and now he has changed his mind or was the development driver, what do you expect? that he comes out publicly and slags it off before it's done a rally? That's just stupid to expect that to be the case and if they wouldn't implement the changes he asked for, or as seems even accept that something was wrong what is he supposed to do?

I have to say that it is very rare in any motorsport to see a driver so publicly negative about a previous team, only in Motorbike racing do they seem to let the team have it to quite this extent.

7. Likes: er88 (9th November 2018)
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    The only thing not for my liking was the way Meeke tried to play the victim card - so to say - when it came to development of the C3 WRC. Okay, so he was the only test driver without anyone to share the feelings with, and there was no DS3 WRC available for comparison, but... once you've flagged these issues as show-stoppers (you get the assumption from the story that Meeke did just that) and they don't lead to any changes, you basically have two options: to walk away or to stick with your role. And - in my books - choosing the latter means accepting the decision of not changing anything and with that also comes the obligation of not playing the wise guy later on. I.e. if I was mr. Matton or mr. Budar, I'd be pissed off for breaking that "code".
    But he offered his resignation around the time of rally Poland? It was rejected. He probably knew there would've been interest in him from other teams and at that stage Citroen couldn't afford to lose him, as no top driver would've touched the car in its current form.

Then a year later when they start to finally make changes to the car and start to get their house in order, they drop him. And not just drop him, they potentially ruined his career with the rubbish they spouted saying he was danger. Fair enough if they wanted a new driver line-up like Ogier/Lappi for 2019, just say something like "Meeke isn't in our plans going forward so we would like to evaluate other drivers for the rest of 2018, before deciding on our line-up for 2019 at a later date".

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    they potentially ruined his career with the rubbish they spouted saying he was danger.
    While I get he was pissed about that, I really doubt managers of other teams pick drivers based on what Citroen writes in their press release.
    Last edited by mknight; 9th November 2018 at 19:41.

10. Likes: jonkka (11th November 2018)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2017 View Post
    Meeke is the truth
    That’s quite a revelation…I was ever told it was Jesus.
    Rally addict since 1982

12. Likes: EstWRC (9th November 2018),GravelBen (9th November 2018),TWRC (10th November 2018)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    But he offered his resignation around the time of rally Poland? It was rejected.
    Resignation doesn't actually require anyone's approval. Ofcourse Citroen didn't let Meeke resign on his own terms, that's a no-brainer.

Then a year later when they start to finally make changes to the car and start to get their house in order, they drop him. And not just drop him, they potentially ruined his career with the rubbish they spouted saying he was danger.
    I still think - based on Meeke's resume on that car (yes, despite those two wins) - you can't really blame Citroen for that decision.

Having said that, I truly hope Kris resurrects his career with that Yaris.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

14. Likes: er88 (9th November 2018)
    Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    we will see how much does he worth after 2019

Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    we will see how much does he worth after 2019
    more than you id say.