Page 1 of 125 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts

[WRC] Rally Finland 2013

Never too early to start a thread on Rally Finland...

Here's a link (Finnish) to a little newspiece that states for the first in public (at least I haven't saw any) that this year's edition will use stages in Lahti region as has been the case in 2011 and 2012 as well. Let's just hope they'd add a stage or two there, making it more proper than last year's excursion. However, SSS Jokimaa, the lame trotting track stage, is most likely not to be used because it never really reached the popularity it would demand to be worthy to build.

There's also some rumouring that extra event Vetomies (Gr.F) would make a return, which of course has meaning only to ones spectating the event live. Perhaps another extra rally with old 4WD cars too...

RG1 should be out some time in late February, I think.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori
    RG1 should be out some time in late February, I think.
    Can´t wait....
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Strong rumour:

SS1 Himos (with that ski hill stadion part)

and then towards Lahti
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Siim Plangi told that NORF is in his plans with Evo 10 R4 if I am not mistaken
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Quote Originally Posted by pantealex
    Strong rumour:

and then towards Lahti
    After Himos it could be Hassi...

Quote Originally Posted by pantealex
    Strong rumour:

and then towards Lahti
    If any Finnish forumers listened to that radio show last Monday (Yle Urheiluilta) with some talk about this year's edition, it was mentioned that Lahti leg should include stages near Lahti as well as stages on the way there and on the way back. SS Himos would clearly fit that picture, where as SS Hassi is more difficult if Ouninpohja will be run again (not impossible though, of course). There are stages to choose from near Lahti, then most likely SS Mynnilä on the way back. I would whole-heartedly welcome SS Himos back, but I guess there have been reasons why it hasn't been included in the rally last two times. We will see.

[quote="Hartusvuori"] I would whole-heartedly welcome SS Himos back, but I guess there have been reasons why it hasn't been included in the rally last two times. QUOTE]

Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori
    I would whole-heartedly welcome SS Himos back, but I guess there have been reasons why it hasn't been included in the rally last two times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper
    Why is that?
    I've only heard rumours, so in public I'd like to leave the matter to those that know it in detail. But in my opinion the stage could hardly be considered as bad by organisers, if you look at it from sporting point of view (challenging stage with different kind of parts, prooved to be a decisive stage few times in mid 00's) or from organisational point of view (central location, with end part in ski loops making it a proper forest stage + kind of SSS).

MM-ralliin uusia erikoiskokeita Päijänteen länsipuolelle - Moottoriurheilu - ESS.fi

Here's a recent interview with clerk of the course Kai Tarkiainen (in Finnish, of course). It doesn't say anything in detail, just comfirms the fact that they are planning more stages between Jyväskylä and Lahti (west side of Lake Päijänne). They are talking about new stages, but is that new-new stages or new compared to last year, it's up to how the journalist have interpreted the answers. We'll know for sure only when RG1 is out. But there won't be any changes for part back on the east side of Lake Päijänne, so most likely that's SS Mynnilä then. Also, I don't remember hearing anywhere that those Lahti stages would be on Thursday.

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Afaik there has not been many stages near the west side of lake Päijänne so it would be interesting. The map below is from 1994. I t would be of course better if the stages would be closer to Päijänne but with some or all of the stages 18, 19 and 24 the distance is between 90 – 110 km from the west side of the stages to Lahti.

From the west side of stage 24 it's about 95 km to Lahti, from the west side of stage 18 it's about 110 km to Lahti and from the west side of stage 19 it's about 90 km to Lahti.

The east side of Päijänne has been used much more. The second map is also from 1994 and the third is from 1988 (In 1998 there was 39 stages and 500,18 SS km ). Stage 5 is part of Mynnilä.

“Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa