Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner Monkeys
    I can understand that a driver might speak in anger sometimes and be unintentionally rude - for all we know, the call came in when Raikkonen was preoccupied with something else and didn't need the intrusion - but it's not like this is an isolated incident. Raikkonen just strikes me as a singularly unlikeable person, and I don't understand why people find his standoffish and brusque personality to be to endearing. It's like my students proudly announcing that they are cynics; cynicism is nothing to be proud of.
    If you walked around the Formula 1 paddock with a lamp, how long would it be before its light fell on an honest man?
    I think what people like in Kimi is the lack of a cultivated PR facade. He says what he wants to say; not what people want to hear, nor what media gurus have trained him to say. Most other drivers sound the same in interviews because they have all been schooled from the same PR textbook. Kimi has not read it.

I suspect there may be a cultural element to it too. The Finns are known for not wasting words. What you see as rudeness, they might see simply as conciseness. Similar to how Germans sometimes come across as brusque or rude if they're not accustomed to Anglophone culture: it's not rudeness, just that they use language differently.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    without forgetting that has set a new record of successive arrivals at the finish line, ben 20 Gp — all races of the Championship. www.f1passion.it/2013/01/f1-leave-me-alone-i-know-what-im-doing/ - Translator
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Whose place did he steal exactly? And whom did his WRC excursion hurt?

He did what he felt like doing ( having fun and keeping the Ferrari money), so he did it. It didn't work out and he moved on.
    If you want to whine, please whine about the other no hopers who have been there for years and years and achieved absolutely 0.
    Mr Slowson and quissimi come to mind. At least Kimi brought some attention.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner Monkeys
    I can understand that a driver might speak in anger sometimes and be unintentionally rude - for all we know, the call came in when Raikkonen was preoccupied with something else and didn't need the intrusion - but it's not like this is an isolated incident. Raikkonen just strikes me as a singularly unlikeable person, and I don't understand why people find his standoffish and brusque personality to be to endearing. It's like my students proudly announcing that they are cynics; cynicism is nothing to be proud of.
    The simple truth of the matter is that most drivers don't like being pestered unless they're in a boring race.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingGears
    Kimi was excellent this year. Drove like he never left, and was certainly better than 2009. I will say he was at times flattered by Grosjean's inability to avoid trouble, though. Regardless, an outstanding year. I hope he can win the WDC again.
    To be honest, I am not sure Kimi was better than in 2009. If anything, those seasons felt a bit similar to me. Very strong second half of the season with a good run of form and results. But not completely on top of his game in the first half of the season. Understandable in 2012, considering the break.

We will see about 2013. I am yet to be convinced that Lotus has the depth in the team to really take on the development of top teams over a full season. But it would be good for the sport if they managed it.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    To be honest, I am not sure Kimi was better than in 2009. If anything, those seasons felt a bit similar to me. Very strong second half of the season with a good run of form and results. But not completely on top of his game in the first half of the season. Understandable in 2012, considering the break.

We will see about 2013. I am yet to be convinced that Lotus has the depth in the team to really take on the development of top teams over a full season. But it would be good for the sport if they managed it.
    I am not sure I 100% agree.

I thought Kimi was a bit wayward in 2009, but I felt considering the break he was in fine form last season.

Of course the seasons of 2003,2004,2005,2007 were his best I would have thought. For pure pace him & Mclaren were awesome in 2005. He drove brilliantly at times in 2004 in a poor Mclaren Car and 2003 was only his second season at Mclaren and he was unlucky with the weather not to win the championship that year.

I hope that 2013 will see Kimi back at his absolute best. Something to be excited about
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    I am not sure I 100% agree.
    In 2008/2009 Kimi qualified poorly but was a strong racer, similarly last year his qualifying let him down but was excellent in race trim.

His relationship in Ferrari went downhill and was never happy with car development at helping/suiting Massa.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    In 2008/2009 Kimi qualified poorly but was a strong racer, similarly last year his qualifying let him down but was excellent in race trim.

His relationship in Ferrari went downhill and was never happy with car development at helping/suiting Massa.
    In 2008 Kimi was struggling in quali, 2009 was more or less fine as he was roughly equal with Massa in qualis.

2012 in many ways reminded 2008/09 in terms of Kimi's qualifying and race pace, but the difference is that in 2012 the races were much more unpredictable and it has been easier to overtake, so Kimi has managed to overcome any qualifying deficits more easily in 2012, hence better results.

So as we see - the results of drivers are dependent on many factors, several of them outside drivers' control, like sporting and technical regulations and how much do they suit each driver's strengths and weaknesses.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Kimi was one a top three driver last year, the only one with Alonso and Hamilton who really deserve praise for their efforts.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I think Raikonnen's car was to also blame for not delivering best results in qualifications. There were indications through the season that the car's straight line place wasn't very good.

I also do not agree with the theory that Raikonnen has done well because the season was "too random" or because of tire lottery. It appears that Kimi (and his team) spent very little time on figuring out how to use the tires, and that is a great skill. I still marvel at how fast Kimi adjusted to the new car, tires, etc after two years of absence.