Page 13 of 107 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    And by what standard do you have the grounds to comment on Costas? Are you a better sports reporter?
    Yes, but I can't brag. It's not hard to do.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    That's your choice but I do think that we practice 'freedom' in a different way that's all.

Ultimately you can't have perfect freedom; no laws, no taxes. Government throughout human history has had to impose rules in order to make sure society functions properly.
    Absolutely and no question. Where you draw that line is the difference between some societies.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TyPat107
    This is the saddest part, these deaths will turn into gun sales. The election did the same thing. I spoke with a A local gun dealer (town of 50,000 people) and the day before election day their store did $20,000 in gun sales, election day was $9000, and the day after was $50,000. It could never happen but people here honestly believe that their guns will be taken from them.

Ask the people of NYC about guns being taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    As I understand it , handguns are legal , but not in the school .

So here's a question : What makes a school different ?
    I'd just like to fully understand the logic involved here .
    There is no logic there. It's a misguided sop to gun haters. Had there been armed teachers or administrators there, things might have gone somewhat differently. I say might because no one can assure any sequence of events in a "might of" world.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Given that the USA is hardly a lawless hell-hole, one can only place the blame for this on paranoia.

The only mental issue is that you euro Types actually believe your government will protect you.

Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade | Mail Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    Fousto, I just don't know what the answer is. I might take a different view in that I don't think the guy was a coward - I think he had very serious mental issues, something that I thought even before I saw his picture and read about his Aspergers syndrome. I do have to ask here :was his problem magnified by playing violent computer games? Because the guy was dressed in combat fatigues and he had three very powerful and efficient firearms.

Like everyone here, I do feel for the families. Sadly, the mass shooting problem in the USA will not be resolved - not in my lifetime.
    The media identified the wrong person who shared the same name as the real killer. I don't know if it was the victim of mistaken identity who had Aspergers, the real killer or both, however the victim of mistaken identity was a fan of GTA and COD. Possibly the real killer was influenced by violent video games, however I'm sure that violent video games allow for people to take their rage out on pixels rather than other people, and probably lead to lower levels of overall violence. Time after time, the media ignores the advice of psychologists and covers every detail of such attacks, almost glorifying the killer, and possibly influencing other massacres. Maybe drugs such as PCP could've been an influence on the killer, or extreme childhood bullying. Who knows?

On the same day, a person went nuts in China and slashed 22 children with a knife outside of school, what the **** is wrong with people?

Man slashes 22 children near China school - latimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Even if you did own a gun, and it made you feel safe, what if you are unable to get to it in time if you really needed it to defend yourself from attack? Owning a gun but getting shot while retrieving it defeats the object.

Also, if your house is broken into, say, and the gun is found by the burglar......

Much better to be without a gun.
    What if the intruder's gun jammed or he forgot to load it? Ifs and buts do not make a world you can reasonably live in. I prefer SOME chance as opposed to NO chance. And that's just the difference in our takes on life.
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Its been said before but if you live in a society where guns are common; if you are attacked or burgled, the chances of the individual carrying a gun is higher. If you live somewhere like the UK or somewhere else where gun ownership is restricted, then the chances of getting attacked with a fire arm is rather slim.

My house has a burglar alarm even though there hasn't been a burglary on my estate for over 5 years and that instance didn't involve an occupied premises. I live in a pretty safe area and I'm not generally a paranoid person where I think about remote possibilities or what ifs. Burglars don't tend to carry guns here, of course that doesn't mean there have never been armed robberies here either. Another common example would be If I got into an argument whilst driving (road rage) the chances are the other person won't pull a gun on me lol. I think we just have very different societies and its always going to have a clash of opinions because one country is full of citizens that feel they need guns for protection and the other really doesn't have the problem.
    A very clear understanding of the difference between many European countries and the US. Guns have been part of society here since the place was settled - four hundred some years now. They exist in huge quantities. There is NO practical way anyone can make them go away. Therefore, the prudent person will do what they deem to be the best choice for them and their family. Some choose one way and others a different way.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    The only mental issue is that you euro Types actually believe your government will protect you.
    Says the man whose experience of Europe comes almost exclusively from Google searches and right-wing American news outlets.

I can tell you for sure that I don't feel the need to be protected to anything like the degree you clearly require.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    A very clear understanding of the difference between many European countries and the US. Guns have been part of society here since the place was settled - four hundred some years now. They exist in huge quantities. There is NO practical way anyone can make them go away. Therefore, the prudent person will do what they deem to be the best choice for them and their family. Some choose one way and others a different way.
    Would you rather events such as those of yesterday kept on occurring if it's the price that has to be paid as part of retaining your guns?