Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Rubens and why he couldn't beat Michael

<< ...recently asked by F1 Racing mgazine if he ever thought he wasn't as good as Schumacher, Barrichello said: "Never!"

He did, however, concede that there were some aspects of grand prix racing where Schumacher was a cut above everyone else.

"But I'll never be as good as him on an out-lap. He was supreme - the speed he had there was something that you wouldn't believe," he continued.

"But could I, on equal terms, be Champion against him? I'm pretty sure I could.

"But Michael didn't have bad days, and I did have some - I still do, so I have to overcome them." >>

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...028908,00.html

I would however say that MS also had some bad days, that is "bad luck" days.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I heard as well that Michael finnesed the throttle while Rubens used the throttle pedal more as an on/off switch
    Formula Platypus 2012

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I know why he never became a Champion against MS. because of 2 simple reasons:
    first and foremost: He didn´t have the skill to win against MS (not regularly) and
    secondly:... everybody knows this one,, I´m not going to say it

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts

Advance Notice

If the outcome of this thread is to re-ignite a familiar and very well worn discussion regarding MS's status, and that of his team-mates, at Ferrari then it will be moved to History and Nostalgia.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ioan is still feeling the effects of schumacher's retirement
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    If the outcome of this thread is to re-ignite a familiar and very well worn discussion regarding MS's status, and that of his team-mates, at Ferrari then it will be moved to History and Nostalgia.
    The outcome depends on what people will discuss, the thread is about Rubens and what he said on 31 March 2007, hardly history I would say.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    simply, Rubens was probably 5-10% of the time MS's equal and able to take it to him, and could beat him especially if that coincided with the 1-2% of the time MS wasn't on top of his game.

but for 90-95% of the time he simply wasn't at that level, whilst he undoubtedly had the speed, the difference between good and great is the ability to be at your very very best 90+% of the time, something few drivers have, and something i begrudgingly have to admit MS did have
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    I would say RB was usually about a couple tenths off MS. There were some aspects of Schumi's racecraft where he was absolutely supreme - his in and out laps, the ability to drive on the absolute limit for half a race stint by reeling off a succession of flying laps.

Certainly, MS had bogey tracks and RB had the upper hand - Melbourne, Austria, Silverstone, to name but few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think certainly Rubens near-fatal crash in 1994 has something to do with his lack of speed...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal
    I think certainly Rubens near-fatal crash in 1994 has something to do with his lack of speed...
    How did it slow him down?

And just to remind you: Mika Häkkinen came from a near fatal accident to become 2 time WDC, Lauda did the same. With Mika it seems that having Hugo (his son) slowed him down a bit.