Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye IRC

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts

Goodbye IRC

Well guys, it's all over. It's a bit sad that IRC went out with a whimper rather than a bang, but it certainly did make rallying a lot more interesting for the last few years.

I'm pleased that it gave manufacturers without a car in the top category a chance to compete for outright wins and titles, and that it provided us with revolutionary and unmatched live tv coverage (who could forget those live Monte Carlos?) I'm pleased that it gave a home to many classic rallies which were dumped from WRC and a bigger stage for some great European rallies too, and I'm pleased that it gave us some great close battles and unpredictable events which were really worth following.

Above all it gave a home to many great drivers who might otherwise have been left on the scrapheap and it has really developed the talents of Kris Meeke, Thierry Neuville, Juho Hanninen and Andreas Mikkelsen; at least two of whom I see being right at the top of WRC competiton for many years to come.

So thank you Eurosport, not everything was perfect, but the sport as a whole would have been poorer without you. Now please go and do as good or an even better job with ERC!

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Can't disagree. A sad end to what had been a fantastic series. I only started following it properly in 2008, and the Live coverage of Valais. I was super impressed.

The 2009-2011 seasons were the best, plenty of competition, different drivers, cars, fantastic events. You want to run stages at night? Go ahead, no problem! So Col de Turini again run at night. Sanremo running a mega 40km stage in the Friday night, Rally Scotland running into the night. Awesome!!! It was giving teams, drivers, Manufacturers, fans everything they wanted from an International Rally series.....as opposed to the formulaic WRC. Nothing highlighted this than in 2009; the Live coverage of the Monte, followed a week later by the WRC Rally Ireland, and highlights late at night with 'as live' commentary, it was lazy, tired.

There are so many memories, too many to mention - I hope they would bring out a DVD showing just what a great series this was.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    It was a great championship. Giving the opportunity to privateers and local drivers to shine on an international level. Giving the organizers the freedom to create a unique event. Eurosport also made it amazing for fans to follow the rally at home, with a great coverage on TV, often live-stages (remember Monte Carlo for example), one central website (irc-results.com) for live-results etc. Except for the last year (excluding Corsica, Ypres and Barum), every season was great.

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Intercontinental is over, after six beautiful years (if we dont count "zero" year in 2006). Martin Holmes wrote nice summary of the championship in last GP Week. One nice era is at the end and there is a chance for growing up the "old-new" series called ERC. I hope it will be at least on same level as IRC. It has all aces in their sleeves...

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Soon this forum will be closed and threads merged with European Rallying.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Soon this forum will be closed and threads merged with European Rallying.
    It would be better to just change the name of this forum to "European Rally Championship", because every rally, big news etc will have it's own subject. While European Rallying should be changed to "European National Rallying"? I think it would make more sense and it would make things easier for everyone...

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Possibly, I don't want to rush into anything here so lets hear some ideas
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B
    It would be better to just change the name of this forum to "European Rally Championship", because every rally, big news etc will have it's own subject. While European Rallying should be changed to "European National Rallying"? I think it would make more sense and it would make things easier for everyone...
    Agree!
    https://www.facebook.com/GRallynews

Liked 629 Times in 347 Posts
    It was definitely a series to watch!! Great cars, great drivers, great stages.....almost perfect.
    But as always when something good is finished, we have tears in eyes, but this can be also opportunity to make new championship (or shall I it call old one, as it will be officialy named ERC) to be even better, with new cars (R5), new names....
    The only thing which can distruct, is this fuc...ing global recession....

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Possibly, I don't want to rush into anything here so lets hear some ideas
    I agree with Tom. Better to rename IRC section to ERC and let European rallying for national news. It would make things easier to follow.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump