Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    I'll buy football in first, just as I said, but believe basketball beats rugby for second. There are pro basketball leagues all over the world.
    The Rugby World Cup probably had a worldwide audience only behind the FIFA World Cup, the Olympics and Le Tour. The 2011 Rugby World Cup had 20 nations compete in the final tournament.

I can't even tell you where or who won the last FIBA World Cup because that's how little impression it's made.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    San Marino get well deserved criticism.

In an era of globalisation and great spread of knowledge and education San Marino have made little progression and still a bunch of part timers.

There nations and associations where they feel happy with what they've got and are happy just to turn and play and there are those who will use their experience and learn from it. San Marino are the former but we've seen nations ignorantly regarded as easy opponents.

Take for instance Eastern European nations. Slovakia.

How about South America. They don't do group qualifiers but instead have a mini league and that has spread the wealth of knowledge eg. Marcelo Bielsa, Argentine coach, coached Chile who now retain 3 centre backs and attacking full backs.
    Please do not compare Slovakia to San Marino (49,035 km2 vs 61.2 km2, 5,5 mil vs 34 000 inhabitants). That shows that you do not know nothing about geography nor european sports. For a small country like Slovakia they are actually great sporting nation, especially in team sports. Actually they have been great for a very long period.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    I'll buy football in first, just as I said, but believe basketball beats rugby for second. There are pro basketball leagues all over the world.
    Agreed, rugby is too far in the bottom in terms of popularity. Problably volleyball and handball are very close to basketball. Basketball is very popular in USA, but volleyball and handball tend to beat them in most European countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I can't even tell you where or who won the last FIBA World Cup because that's how little impression it's made.
    That's because basketball not very popular in UK You have football, rugby and cricket and basketball rarely gets any attention.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    You think Basketball is bigger than Rugby worldwide lol??!! I would suggest you look into that.
    why, have you looked into it?
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    why, have you looked into it?
    I did.

It's staggering to think that while RWC 2011 is likely to be a "Stadium of Four Million" here in New Zealand, it will also be a "Stadium of Four Billion" as what promises to be a record TV audience tunes in to the action.
    The figure is a reflection of a tournament that has enjoyed phenomenal growth since its debut in 1987 in New Zealand and is now firmly established as one of the world's top five sporting events.

Official RWC 2011 Site - Taking RWC 2011 to an audience of 4 billion

The Rugby World Cup is the world’s third largest event if you look at it in terms of viewership and attendance.
    England's 2015 Rugby World Cup tries to learn the lessons of London's glorious 2012 Olympic Games - Telegraph
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    The Rugby World Cup is the world’s third largest event if you look at it in terms of viewership and attendance.
    England's 2015 Rugby World Cup tries to learn the lessons of London's glorious 2012 Olympic Games - Telegraph
    The Indy 500 dwarfs all other auto racing events in terms of attendance. But when you throw in the rest of the season, not so much. You've forgotten how many games there are in a season. What I am saying is that if you tally up the in person attendance and viewership for a year, then basketball beats rugby.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

I did.
    I was asking henners about "You think Basketball is bigger than Rugby worldwide lol??!! I would suggest you look into that.". He doesn't mention audience of a single (not even yearly) event

find Rugby in any other list, and it's usually well behind Soccer, Cricket, Basketball or even sometimes table-tennis
    Most Popular Sports Lists Combined
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    Please do not compare Slovakia to San Marino (49,035 km2 vs 61.2 km2, 5,5 mil vs 34 000 inhabitants). That shows that you do not know nothing about geography nor european sports. For a small country like Slovakia they are actually great sporting nation, especially in team sports. Actually they have been great for a very long period.
    I haven't read my post again.

I said there are nations who are happy to turn turn up and those who improve. San Marino the former and Slovakia the latter - perhaps should have explicitly stated this but then I used the example of South American football.

Quote Originally Posted by tfp
    All seriousness though, Aki makes a good point. I think its more down to the ignorance of the presenters, if that coverage is watched by other people in other countries then it probably comes across that us british people are ignorant, thanks to the arrogance of a couple of tv presenters. Also why do the teams need to field their best players? Maybe they should give the reserves a game and another chance at an england cap.
    Which is why I'm a huge fan of Michael Cox's Zonal Marking and his articles across the interweb, not to mention South American expert Tim Vickery.

People love to mention how the Beeb's footie coverage is superior but when it comes to European/International footie (bar Waddle) Hansen, Shearer et al are a bunch of jokers too concerned about their golf handicaps.

Tom English: 'The level of punditry is patronising and insulting' - Sport - Scotsman.com

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I could obviously end up eating my hat here with Basketball and American Football suddenly being reported on our national news here today however
    The UK isn't worldwide. Germany and Spain report Basketball regularly, for example.
    As for American football...
    United in diversity !!!