Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

100th Grands Prix

Has anyone noticed that most of the time, drivers' 100th GPs tend to be either distinctly mediocre, but even more often a downright disaster?

Here are some examples:

1.Lewis Hamilton (German GP 2012) - picks up puncture, runs at back and eventually retires, when judging by his team-mate he could have won.

2.Heikki Kovalainen (German GP 2012) - Runs behind Petrov in the race, before ignominously retiring (or in the process of doing) at the end of the race, just like Hamilton.

3.Ralf Schumacher (Japanese GP 2002) - A particularly undistinctive and non-podium-threatening race for Ralf ends with a retirement for his BMW Williams...

4.Giancarlo Fisichella (European GP 2002) - A particularly horrible one. Qualifies his Jordan nowhere 18th at the Nurburgring, massively behind rookie team-mate Sato, then ploughs into him at turn 1, ending both races. He seemed distinctly out of sorts all weekend.

I'm gonna look up some more - Please feel free to add, people!
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Good spot. Would be interested to hear some more and also who if anyone had a really decent race.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Yeah, I've recently wondered if it's something to do with drivers being distracted by the fuss over that race being a landmark. Jenson's 200th race at Hungary last year was brilliant though.

5&6 IIRC Eddie Irvine and Heinz-Harald Frentzen both shared their 100th GP at San Marino 2000. Irvine's race went wrong in the pit lane and he just missed out on possible points in 7th. Frentzen retired with gearbox issues from 6th...

7.Off the top of my head I think Michael's 100th GP must have been the Luxembourg (Nurburgring) GP 1997. He was taken out by Ralf, and that meant no title for him.

8.Kimi Raikkonen - Hungarian GP 2006. Looking good for at least 2nd in the wet having started on pole, but crashed into the back of Tonio Liuzzi and he was out.

I MIGHT BE ONE OR TWO RACES OUT, I'M JUST THINKING OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD

If I have added it up right Schumi's 100th Grand Prix was 1997 Luxembourg GP and he retired on Lap 3 with suspension failure.

Edit: Sorry just saw you posted this.

Bearing in mind that 100th GPs tend to be disasters - Interestingly, If I've done my sums right, Sebastian Vettel will encounter HIS 100th GP this year - at the SEASON FINALE in Brazil!!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    Bearing in mind that 100th GPs tend to be disasters - Interestingly, If I've done my sums right, Sebastian Vettel will encounter HIS 100th GP this year - at the SEASON FINALE in Brazil!!
    Maybe he will be a combo breaker.
    Formula 1

Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    If I have added it up right Schumi's 100th Grand Prix was 1997 Luxembourg GP and he retired on Lap 3 with suspension failure.

Edit: Sorry just saw you posted this.
    Aw good, so I got it right. I'm happy.

Strangely I noticed this pattern around 2001-2002, and so predicted that my favourite driver Fisichella would have a nightmare when Nurb came round in 02. And sure enough it went as described above. He seemed totally out of it all weekend...

I looked up a random midfield driver rather than atop one and selected Mika Salo.

His 100th GP was I believe Austria 2002 and while Ferrari caused uproar he finished a solid 8th ahead of McNish.

Ok got a good one! If I've done my sums right, Rubens Barrichello's 100th GP was the San Marino GP 1999. He capitalised on the Stewart's promise (and it was totally reliable this time) to take a podium in 3rd!

But I wonder if I was 1 race out either side. Brazil 1999 - retired while leading! Monaco - spun out of 4th towards the end.

I'm now going to look up Jean Alesi, but then most of his Grands Prix were disasters!

Ok, if you don't count Ayrton Senna's DNQ at Imola 1984 as being a GP, his 100th GP is Mexico 1990, where he retired near the end to see Prost and Mansell take a 1-2 for Ferrari.

Jarno Trulli's was either an 8th, a rubbish 13th when Alonso came 6th, or a DNF (Brazil-Spain 2003) depending if 2 DNS (Did Not Starts) count.

Nico Rosberg was 9th at Hungary 2011.

These days it seems to be more mediocrity than disaster, cos of the way F1 is now.

Oh ok DC came 2nd at Austria 2000 behind Hakkinen.

Also for Mark Webber, if the Spanish GP 2002 (Minardi pulled out after Quali due to safety issues) and USA 2005 (we know what happened there) don't count as GP's for Webber - his 100th race was Nurburgring 2007 - where he came 3rd! Otherwise it's Turkey where he retired...