Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver numbers.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Driver numbers.

In F1 today you have 22 cars lined up on the grid with a set of numbers on them that pretty much have no meaning to anyone but the officials.

A problem that I noticed at the Australian Grand Prix a few weeks ago was that people were sporting merchandise which seemed odd in todays context, such as "Massa #6" on the back of a Ferrari jumper, when this year it is his team-mate who is sporting that number.
    Call me silly, but wouldn't it make much more marketing sense (as well as common sense) if driver's weren't chopping and changing numbers every season? Personally, I would be much more reassured if I spent $150 on a team jacket which at least had the drivers numbers on it which were applicable for more than one season. The only team in recent years to actually have benefited from this was Ferrari gear from 2001-2005.
    At the moment, driver numbers are basically useless as they basically have no marketing value whatsoever. Personally I don't see why the FIA don't just go back to the system where each team is designated 2 numbers. Fans would actually be able to instantly recognise the numbers and be able to draw links to each driver from those numbers.
    Or better still, let each driver choose his own racing number, which is applicable no matter what team they drive for. Look at how recognisable Valentino Rossi and teh late Dale Earnhardt are by their racing numbers alone.
    It is simple, but it would be mighty effective, for both fans and merchandise buyers.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I recall in around 2003, the FIA DID actually impose a regulation stating teams would keep their same race numbers from season to season exatly for this consistency of marketing for merchandise etc and opened opportunities for, in the same vein of the Earnhardt#3 example, could have seen Ferrari adopt the #27/#28 numbers owing to that tradition etc yet, I think it fell down on the whole status of,if you are champion, you want the #1 on your car!

Personally I like the current situation of numbers - weve never had this issue as in say American racing where commentators refer to the '7 car' or the '42 car' etc so if youve never had it, you dont miss it.
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Every year the team's standings change and who has become better, will start protesting. For top teams it's maybe important in marketing to have a small number for having been competitive - "Hey, we are good and that number indicates that."

In 2001 FIA tried to 'freeze' car numbers, but Sauber vetod it, because they were having a good season and their car numbers were likely to get smaller for next season.

That might be an interesting idea to let everyone choose himself his own number, assuming that everyone wouldn't want the same number. :

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the current system is ok, though in modern day F1 numbers are fairly meaningless.
    One thing I don't understand, why is Albers car 21 to Sutil's 20? Shouldn't it be the other way round? I know Sutil's younger, but even if Albers didn't score any points last year he was still classified, he finished 22nd I think.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Katz
    I think the current system is ok, though in modern day F1 numbers are fairly meaningless.
    One thing I don't understand, why is Albers car 21 to Sutil's 20? Shouldn't it be the other way round? I know Sutil's younger, but even if Albers didn't score any points last year he was still classified, he finished 22nd I think.
    There was a news item about it not so long ago...something to do with Albers' superstition about always having an odd number on his car throughout his career - like when Rubens requested 11 because it was a lucky number last year

I've noticed the numbers are looking bigger this season, and Honda even have them back on the rear wing endplates! I think going back to the system they had from 1974-95 would be good, with numbers "frozen" and swapped around and occasionally sorted when needs be, would be good - although I DON'T want to see a switch to the US system where a number is just like a franchise or marketing tool - rather than anything with any meaning.

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    In terms of merchandise I'm sure the teams dont mind the numbers changing. Its an excuse to sell the same thing to the same person twice, just with a different number so its up to date. Its not like they wouldn't release 2007 stuff anyway.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Please, don't, don't, don't go the NASCAR route! If I see one more SUV or city pickup with a #3 or #8 in the window, I will vomit.

Actually the F1 numbering system is pretty simple - the defending World Champion is #1, his teammate is #2. After that, teams are ranked according to finish in the previous year's WCC (so Fisichella is #3 because Renault won, but Fernando switched teams). The teams decided which driver gets the lower number (Button gave Barrichello #11 last year and took #12). No one gets #13.

That's not so hard, is it?

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The numbers are pretty meaningless in modern F1, yet it must be one of the only racing formulae that still allocates mandatory numbers to its competitors! If a team/driver requests a particular number, why shouldn't they be entitled to have it? Dan Wheldon declined to use the #1 last year, Rossi is always #46, Plato is #11 despite having the right to #3...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    In terms of merchandise I'm sure the teams dont mind the numbers changing. Its an excuse to sell the same thing to the same person twice, just with a different number so its up to date. Its not like they wouldn't release 2007 stuff anyway.
    that's the reason I think the teams will use to oppose to a number "freezing"
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkFan
    That's not so hard, is it?
    It's hard if half of your wardrobe goes out of date every year because it contains your driver's number.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd