Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop

Pretty much sums up my view of the past 2 weeks
    Having several hundreds of great athletes in your country does not mean that the 100.000.000 obese suddenly doesn't exist anymore.
    Outspending other nations doesn't make you any less fat nor less stupid.

Funny how people brag about and identify themselves with other people's achievements!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Having several hundreds of great athletes in your country does not mean that the 100.000.000 obese suddenly doesn't exist anymore.
    Outspending other nations doesn't make you any less fat nor less stupid.

Funny how people brag about and identify themselves with other people's achievements!
    Funny how you rag on me and yet know nothing of my achievements or my connection to others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My favorite moment was when Katie Ledecky, the 15-year-old 800 meter gold medalist was interviewed afterward. What an incredible performance - in and out of the pool. All she talked about was having fun, being in the moment, not having any expectations, and just swimming. Compare that to so many athletes who get overly focused on winning a medal, and it's no surprise how she performed. I love the naivety of young athletes!

Oh, and Mo Farah's response as he crossed the finish line in both gold-medal-winning races...
    Author, Speed Secrets books
    www.DriverCoach.net

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Funny how you rag on me and yet know nothing of my achievements or my connection to others.
    We all know more than enough about you. Also I didn't see any Anthony Vop participating in the Olympic games.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Great to see that Alex Zanardi won gold in the H4 hand bike time trial this afternoon.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    Great to see that Alex Zanardi won gold in the H4 hand bike time trial this afternoon.
    Yes, but what a shame it's gone totally unseen in terms of live coverage. I couldn't even find a live stream on the Channel 4 website. Having been told earlier how exciting the road cycling is to watch, how on earth has it not been deemed worthy of a live showing?

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Blur's post-Olympics concert was pretty good.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    There's no single moment for me, in fact there are too many to choose from.

It started with an opening ceremony that came in under the radar and far from being a boring and embarrassing screw up made me and many other people who are often normally deeply suspicious of anything resembling patriotism deeply proud of our country, society and its achievements. Just as importantly it put us in the right mood for the Olympics.

Then there were the volunteers, its difficult to get across how reliant the whole thing was on people who gave up their jobs and came to help for nothing more in return than their uniforms and a free travel pass for the fortnight. Every performer at the ceremonies (including the stars), helper and guide was unpaid as well as loads of technical support staff. At Beijing people were forcibly evicted from their homes to make room for the Olympic park. The contrast was and is stark. Their enthusiasm was infectious too and definitely helped contribute to the great atmosphere at the events. Fantastic.

Super Saturday. Trying to soak up the atmosphere at the Olympic stadium as Ennis and Farah won their medals. Its a pity in a way that Mo Farah isn't gay as otherwise he ticks every box on the Daily Mail hate list, black Muslim African immigrant. Quite a few bigots must have had their heads explode at the thought of him winning.

Then there were the athletes who had made a special effort, the 16 year old Saudi judoka, the first woman from her country ever to compete who wasn't even a black belt but got a standing ovation on her way in and out of her first and only match. The Japanese guy in the dressage who was 71 and had first competed at the Tokyo '64 Olympics and who wasn't ruling out a trip to Rio in 4 years time. Also, all those athletes who keep astonishing me by somehow training in terribly poor countries or warzones that manage to make it to these games regardless.

Finally London itself. Usually it takes a serious bombing for Londoners to start warming to each other (Luftwaffe, IRA or some jihadis, we are not picky) but for this fortnight the atmosphere in town has definitely been in party mode, something that few people predicted.

Its been a fantastic fortnight!
    That it has. GB gave a wonderful account of themselves. It was needed in Europe.

I see how to get someone else's quotes included. Staring me in the face.

The IRA? Why did you include them? Just wondering. There many different groups of IRA as there are UDA,UDR,UFF,Red Hand of Ulster.Why not them also?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My fav was the guy from South Africa, I believe that ran in the relay with prosthesis. Courage that will be next to impossible to defeat.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loowisham
    The IRA? Why did you include them? Just wondering. There many different groups of IRA as there are UDA,UDR,UFF,Red Hand of Ulster.Why not them also?
    The IRA are Republican. The rest you name are Protestant. The IRA were the only group you name that maintained a bombing campaign across the mainland UK and London specifically.

BTW you're behaving much better this time on the forum