Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Giacomo Rappaccini
    A little early however I thought I would post it before they're done and dusted:
    Of all the events I watched (which were not all) the one that sticks out in my mind was the 1-nil British Women’s victory over Brazil. If you missed that match you missed something special. It's easy to argue that Brazil had a bad game; however GB had much more desire, and a perfect scheme. With great coaching GB are only a couple players away from being championship contenders.
    There's no single moment for me, in fact there are too many to choose from.

It started with an opening ceremony that came in under the radar and far from being a boring and embarrassing screw up made me and many other people who are often normally deeply suspicious of anything resembling patriotism deeply proud of our country, society and its achievements. Just as importantly it put us in the right mood for the Olympics.

Then there were the volunteers, its difficult to get across how reliant the whole thing was on people who gave up their jobs and came to help for nothing more in return than their uniforms and a free travel pass for the fortnight. Every performer at the ceremonies (including the stars), helper and guide was unpaid as well as loads of technical support staff. At Beijing people were forcibly evicted from their homes to make room for the Olympic park. The contrast was and is stark. Their enthusiasm was infectious too and definitely helped contribute to the great atmosphere at the events. Fantastic.

Super Saturday. Trying to soak up the atmosphere at the Olympic stadium as Ennis and Farah won their medals. Its a pity in a way that Mo Farah isn't gay as otherwise he ticks every box on the Daily Mail hate list, black Muslim African immigrant. Quite a few bigots must have had their heads explode at the thought of him winning.

Then there were the athletes who had made a special effort, the 16 year old Saudi judoka, the first woman from her country ever to compete who wasn't even a black belt but got a standing ovation on her way in and out of her first and only match. The Japanese guy in the dressage who was 71 and had first competed at the Tokyo '64 Olympics and who wasn't ruling out a trip to Rio in 4 years time. Also, all those athletes who keep astonishing me by somehow training in terribly poor countries or warzones that manage to make it to these games regardless.

Finally London itself. Usually it takes a serious bombing for Londoners to start warming to each other (Luftwaffe, IRA or some jihadis, we are not picky) but for this fortnight the atmosphere in town has definitely been in party mode, something that few people predicted.

Its been a fantastic fortnight!

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    My favourite moment of the games was when they were over
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec

Then there were the volunteers, its difficult to get across how reliant the whole thing was on people who gave up their jobs and came to help for nothing more in return than their uniforms and a free travel pass for the fortnight.
    That is a thing that NONE of my fellow countrymen would ever do. Explaining why we are where we are.

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    never mind
    May the forza be with you

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    As a Brit, I have to say the incredible number of British medals.

I also like the little guys - Grenada scoring its first gold; the Bahamas beating the mighty USA to take away "their" 4x400 gold medal; the runner from Burundi who was running in about her 7th proper race and qualified for the 800m final. That's what the Olympics is really about.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    That is a thing that NONE of my fellow countrymen would ever do. Explaining why we are where we are.
    Don't be so sure, a year ago I would have said the same about Britain. Also I'm certain some of the volunteers were Romanian, the people dealing with the Romanian team would have been at the very least. The volunteers were almost as multinational as the athletes coming to the games!

Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Don't be so sure, a year ago I would have said the same about Britain. Also I'm certain some of the volunteers were Romanian, the people dealing with the Romanian team would have been at the very least. The volunteers were almost as multinational as the athletes coming to the games!
    Because otherwise they couldn't afford to stay in London for 3 weeks.
    It's possible to have romanian volunteers abroad.
    Romanian volunteers in Romania? Never! Even the most common humanitarian gesture is made for some advantage.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    Because otherwise they couldn't afford to stay in London for 3 weeks.
    It's possible to have romanian volunteers abroad.
    Romanian volunteers in Romania? Never! Even the most common humanitarian gesture is made for some advantage.
    There are well intentioned people everywhere around the world.
    Didn't you ever help anyone just because you wanted to help them without getting anything in return?
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

I did but in excange when I needed a helping hand nobody offered it without a material purpose.

I think it's something wrong about me.....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Pretty much sums up my view of the past 2 weeks