Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts

New Driver, New Team, Can't Drive

Just saw the news that Kimi was at Jerez meeting up with his new team:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55937

Couple of things about this:
    1 - how daft is it that he "was not allowed to speak for contractual reasons"
    2 - Both Alonso and Raikkonen are contracted to their 2006 teams until the end of the year, but why isn't the contract written so it ends after the last race? It seems a bit daft that Alonso & Raikkonen couldn't start work with their new teams almost immediately the season finished.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The contracts were probably written like that in anticipation of the driver leaving thus limiting his practise time with the new team?
    I'm old enough that I don't have to put up with your crap anymore.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Obviously, logic does not apply when a team writes a contract for a driver. What, to me, is even more amazing, is that the drivers lawyer/manager lets the driver sign the bloody thing.

It could be that they all have the expectation that the driver has found Nirvana and will never seek a different employer.

Actually, It just struck me why they do it. So they can extract money from the new team their former driver is goin to by letting the driver out of the contract early.
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I think this happens mainly because the race schedule is usually not finalised until sometime into the new year prior to the season start, so its impossible to predict the final race 2 years or more prior while drawing up the contracts. Plus its simpler and cleaner to just write it up till the end of a year, not to mention some other contracts (sponsorship & such) are probably done around a drivers contract as well...
    The Preceding post may have contained nudity, sexuality, violence, coarse language and Jacques
    Villeneuve and is intended for a mature audience, parental guidance is advised.
    So you wanna know what the PS Stands for.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Well I read today the Ron is asking Renault to realease FA to test for McLaren before the end of the year. If Renault do allow it I guess it should only be fair that McLaren release Kimi early.

Sonic
    Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also read that Ferrari didn't even ask to get kimi early!
    "Approach racing like billiards - bash the ball too hard, get nowhere." Juan Manuel Fangio

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny shell
    I also read that Ferrari didn't even ask to get kimi early!
    That's because Ron hates Ferrari so much that he wouldn't allow it anyway.

Fairs fair though. If Ron gets Alonso early then Ferrari should get Raikkonen. The only problem is, that while Alonso desperately wants to test for McLaren I get the feeling that Raikkonen is quite happy having the rest of the year off.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    That's because Ron hates Ferrari so much that he wouldn't allow it anyway.

Fairs fair though. If Ron gets Alonso early then Ferrari should get Raikkonen. The only problem is, that while Alonso desperately wants to test for McLaren I get the feeling that Raikkonen is quite happy having the rest of the year off.
    Very true - Kimi looks far too relaxed to get behind the wheel. Maybe if they offer him some champange as a reward

Sonic
    Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it won't taste good

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I bet that these drivers who aren't allowed to test do so, but wear team mates lids.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I can't see the problem here as Ferrari have excellent test drivers to provide feedback on the new tyres and car setups. Not sure about McLaren's test drivers but I am sure Hamilton would be only too happy to test and test and test!!
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout