Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Interviews on the podium

Fantastic idea having the driver interviews on the podium. The public get to hear from the drivers, and there's actually some emotion on display rather than the sterile PR nonsense usually spouted in press conferences.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    This deserves it's own thread. Good idea? Should all the races be like this?

Certainly the delay between podium and press conference often means TV stations focus elsewhere. I especially remember ITV (boo hiss) hardly ever showing the press conference at all.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    At first I thought it was a bad idea, but once Sir Jackie had completed the questions and seeing the reaction of the crowd. I really thought it worked well. I don't think it will replace press confrence, which is as said above a team statement almost and more the media.

So that will stay, but I think for the fans at the trackside it is a good idea.

I dont know if this was a one off for the Britsh GP or its a wider idea thats going to be implemented all over?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I especially remember ITV (boo hiss) hardly ever showing the press conference at all.
    Yes when you think back on ITV days, what with ads and alot of pieces pre race about nothing. Then the lack of any coverage after the event. I don't how we used to stand it. We would pull our hair out if it went back to that.

The BBC is now the pinicle. But compared to ITV, Sky do a great job too.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Great idea. BBC said that it's going to be the same at all of the races, as they've had the new podium built specifically for F1 so it'll travel around each of the races. I imagine they'll try and get a local driver/celebrity to do the interviews each time? Can't imagine Jackie Stewart wants to do the gig at all of the races!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Winner circle interviews are status quo in the USA. Wonder when the FIA was going to pick up on it.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    It's a far better idea. Better for the fans, who get to see and hear the people they've queued up to watch; and better for viewers at home as we get to hear some actual emotion rather than the filtered version 15 minutes after the flag when the drivers have been briefed by their teams.

My only minor gripe about Silverstone's new podium was the way the flags appeared like the Countdown Conundrum, rather than being gracefully hoisted.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Admin
    Indeed, was going to mention the flags, if this is a standard podium now this is disappointing. IMO flags should be flown, not painted on a bit of plastic.

Interviews straight after the race are excellent, IMO. I know in American racing they literally push a microphone in their face the moment they exit the car, it's only recently there's been TV coverage of what happens on the way to the podium, used to be this was when commentators had to fill time until they appeared.

Same with the press conference, it does provide a neater package you know that you have the race, podium and interviews and then it's finished

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    It worked really well, and was far better than the post-race driver press conference which has become dull as dishwater.

I do wonder if future podium interviews will be conducted in the local language or english though.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Admin
    Press conferences are always in English first and AFAIK drivers interviewed in their own language after that. That may continue but it's not like there isn't ample opportunity after the race for interviews especially if they go straight to interviews after the podium rather than being in the press conference.

But I suppose it is an issue for broadcasters, they will likely have to provide a translation as it happens.