As a purely motorsport question this is a no brainer, I'd go to Spa every time, but a few other things have got in the way.

Me and a mate are looking at combining a bit of a week/weekend away with a GP. In the past the non-motorsport holidays we've ended up on have been heavily alcohol/partying lead, in the noisiest hostel we can find, with a smidgen of culture thrown in. This is where Monza gets the upper hand, the prospect of wandering around Milan in the evening and then going on a heavy night out is extremely tempting. The downside is the budget. We would probably be looking at general admission, which apparently means you need to be there really early to get the good spots...obviously this goes against any nights out in Milan.

Spa seems to be the cheaper option on the face of it. £60 ferry to Dunkirk, around 900 miles from my house to Spa and back again (say 50mpg at £1.40/l), so that's about £120 and camping seems to be about £20 a night. So for Thursday through Sunday we're looking at about £260 between 2 of us. Trouble is that there's no big city nearby to go partying in, on the face of it it's just camping in a forest and watching motor sport. Normally I'm not against that but I've already had 3 holidays this year that were just for motorsport and I kind of fancy something a bit different.

I guess what I want to know is is the atmosphere at Spa good enough to be considered a party (or do you ahve to get exactly the right campsite) and can the Italians be as irritating as some say (in as much as they get moody if there's no red car in front and the atmosphere goes a bit crap)? Also can you get a decent viewing spot from general admission at either track?