Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Question What (Wheels/pedals/controllers are you guys all using for online racing?

I recently bought a Fanatec GT2/Clubsport pedals and both a gated & sequential shifterfor my brothers birthday, they are a lot better than my old Thrustmaster FF F1 wheel set. The clubsport pedals are made of billet alluminium and are a work of art. I love the load cell brake pedal too, much, much better than a potentiometer simply measuring how far down the pedal is pressed. I've only had a brief shot of it so not sure if it would make me any quicker over a single lap but I do believe I'd be able to be far more consistant over a race season thanks to the great brake pedal design.

I'm just interested to know what you guys are using for your racing/rally sims, whether it simply be a controller a simple wheel/pedal set or if any of you use higher end kit?.. and do you really think it makes much difference to your times.. or is it more of a realism thing?
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    I've had my Logitech G25 for years now, can't believe how bad the Formula GP Logitech wheel is when I try that (my father took my old wheel), the G25 is very good. Similar pedal system, I presume yours has the resistence on the brake pedal, I've found that has been a major help. Also having the clutch pedal has helped on most sims.

I think it definately makes a difference in sims but not arcade games. In fact some arcade games (the Need for Speed series in particular) can become very boring with them. In improves your accuracy and consistency.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I'm a console boy so I'm usually rocking the normal PS3 controller. I've got the official wheel for the 360 which I think is quite good, especially the force feedback which makes the steering heavier when you wind the lock on, however I'm probably faster with the controller, especially on rally games. THe only game I feel more comfortable on the wheel with is F1 2010, and that's probably because smooth steering inputs are the way forward....plus I don't think I've ever played F1 on the xBox with a controller.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Mr Jan- I find racing with a wheel much more difficult but also ultimately quicker in a lot of the more sim-like games. I doubt I could go back to a pad even if it is quicker in certain games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce D
    I presume yours has the resistence on the brake pedal?

Yep, on the min (softest) pedal setting there is still a fair bit of pressure required to acheive max brake pressure however when you turn the load cell adjuster to max (hardest) you would actually need the pedals to be bolted down and a fixed race seat to brace yourself against to get full pressure! Its also got an 'ABS' threshhold adjustment that activates a mild vibrating motor on the actual brake pedal when your brake pressure reaches a chosen percentage.. its handy in itself but someone has made a program/mod for Rfactor that allows the pedal ABS motor to be activated by the ABS signal in the game, unfortunately this is the only game that this little mod works with.. so far.

I've still to have a proper long shot of it to give any meaningful feedback but it cerrtainly ticks a lot of the right boxes.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    My trusty Logitech G25 has been my mainstay wheel for the last 5 years or so now which I use on my PC and PS3, before that I went through a lot of wheels, I broke all but one of them (the only one I didnt break was my Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel, which I still have somewhere). I also have the original (and frankly infinately superior) version of the Microsoft Xbox 360 wheel for use with my Xbox 360 because the G25 isnt Xbox 360 compatible.

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    I have a G27 with my own real steeringwheel in alcantra... Rallystyle.. Really nice feeling. Im gonna buy new handbrake and gear shifter...
    "If you ain't first, your last..."

I have Logitech G25 and PS3 controller.No doubt both are good and you feel comfortable.Now looking forward to buy new handbrake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can anyone suggest a wheel/racing chair combination for an XBOX 360?