Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Michelin - there was a minimum width for the grooves but the grooves in the Michelins could be significantly narrowed in race conditions and therefore a wider contact patch at the fronts. There was no measurement post race which then Ferrari pushed for.
    I don't believe that was the case, IIRC the Michelins deformed more under lateral loading and therefore part of the outside shoulder of the tyre would come into contact with the ground, increasing the contact patch but also increasing the width of the 'tread' in excess of that allowed. The Bridgestones had stiffer sidewalls that did not deform in such a way and were therefore disadvantaged as their contact patches would remain constant whatever the lateral loading. Michelin's defence was that if the outside shoulder came into contact with the ground then part of the inside of the tyre would lift off it so the width of the tread at any one time would be under the limit allowed. The FIA did not agree.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    I don't believe that was the case, IIRC the Michelins deformed more under lateral loading and therefore part of the outside shoulder of the tyre would come into contact with the ground, increasing the contact patch but also increasing the width of the 'tread' in excess of that allowed. The Bridgestones had stiffer sidewalls that did not deform in such a way and were therefore disadvantaged as their contact patches would remain constant whatever the lateral loading. Michelin's defence was that if the outside shoulder came into contact with the ground then part of the inside of the tyre would lift off it so the width of the tread at any one time would be under the limit allowed. The FIA did not agree.
    I think Wedge was right - the entire tread patch on the Michelins was slightly wider at the base than the top - thus if the rules changed and measurment of said tread patch was taken after the race, they would not conform.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    I think Wedge was right - the entire tread patch on the Michelins was slightly wider at the base than the top - thus if the rules changed and measurment of said tread patch was taken after the race, they would not conform.
    The tread of the Michelins before use was legal. The problem was that during the race the tyre would deform and the contact patch would widen because the shoulders would be used. After the race there would be clear wear visible on the shoulders of the tyre, and the 'tread' as measuring the width of the worn areas was in excess of that allowed. However if you took the tread to be just the part of the tyre in contact with the ground even after use and you measured it while static in the paddock the tread remained legal.

The grooves weren't the problem.

Its quite complicated to explain verbally but 2 or 3 pictures would tell the whole story.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The tread of the Michelins before use was legal. The problem was that during the race the tyre would deform and the contact patch would widen because the shoulders would be used. After the race there would be clear wear visible on the shoulders of the tyre, and the 'tread' as measuring the width of the worn areas was in excess of that allowed. However if you took the tread to be just the part of the tyre in contact with the ground even after use and you measured it while static in the paddock the tread remained legal.

The grooves weren't the problem.

Its quite complicated to explain verbally but 2 or 3 pictures would tell the whole story.
    OK - But I seem to recall it being exlained that Ferrari had photographic evidence of the Michelin shod cars trundling down the pitlane, and were able to demonstrate the increasing width of the tread as it neared the carcass.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    OK - But I seem to recall it being exlained that Ferrari had photographic evidence of the Michelin shod cars trundling down the pitlane, and were able to demonstrate the increasing width of the tread as it neared the carcass.
    IIRC the photographic evidence was twofold, one of the used discarded Michelins post-race with wear clearly visible on the shoulders, and another of Michelins deforming under hard cornering showing the shoulder of the tyres in contact with the ground.

Personally I think Michelin was within the wording of the regulations but not the spirit, but then again the regulations regarding tread were extremely vague until this incident happened so...

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    IIRC the photographic evidence was twofold, one of the used discarded Michelins post-race with wear clearly visible on the shoulders, and another of Michelins deforming under hard cornering showing the shoulder of the tyres in contact with the ground.

Personally I think Michelin was within the wording of the regulations but not the spirit, but then again the regulations regarding tread were extremely vague until this incident happened so...
    The photos showing the worn shoulders rings a bell.

Thanks for the clear up.