Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts

Stoddart (Wolff) to Williams - Bernie makes another stupid comment

Susie Wolff (was Stoddart), British DTM driver is joining as a tester to Wiliams (also married to Williams shareholder Toto Wolff).

Susie Wolff joins Williams as development driver - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Whilst this is interesting and nice for Susie, Icouldn't get past Bernies quote in the article, which if it weren't for the crap he's been spouting about Bahrain lately would probably have been of greater interest

"If Susie is as quick in a car as she looks good out of a car then she will be a massive asset to any team and on top of that she is very intelligent. I am really looking forward to having her in Formula 1."

what a prick this man is
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    Susie Wolff (was Stoddart), British DTM driver is joining as a tester to Wiliams (also married to Williams shareholder Toto Wolff).

Susie Wolff joins Williams as development driver - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Whilst this is interesting and nice for Susie, Icouldn't get past Bernies quote in the article, which if it weren't for the crap he's been spouting about Bahrain lately would probably have been of greater interest

"If Susie is as quick in a car as she looks good out of a car then she will be a massive asset to any team and on top of that she is very intelligent. I am really looking forward to having her in Formula 1."

what a prick this man is
    Call me old-fashioned, but I don't see anything too bad in those comments. OK, it's a shame that comment about a female sports person must often refer to their looks, but women often make remarks about the looks of male sports people, do they not? And he is right about her being very intelligent, I think, from what I've seen of her in interviews conducted in German.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Call me old-fashioned, but I don't see anything too bad in those comments. OK, it's a shame that comment about a female sports person must often refer to their looks, but women often make remarks about the looks of male sports people, do they not?
    Bernie's comment is patronising in the extreme. He is not just some man (or woman) talking to his/her mates in the pub, he's a senior figure in the sport issuing a statement to the press.

If Sauber signed up someone like Bruno Spengler, and Monisha Kaltenborn went to the press and said, "well, I've been ignoring his career in a high-profile, international series over the last several years, so I've no idea if he's any good or not, but he certainly makes the place look pretty doesn't he," then that would be equally patronising don't you think?

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Nothing wrong with those comments from Bernie.

I fail to see a one dimensional description of Susie Stoddart.

We live in a society where image is everything and sex sells, perhaps more so in motorsports; just as the name Senna is supposed to be good for F1,(IMO) stupid Lotus retro liveries and not to mention the obvious - grid girls.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    We live in a society where image is everything and sex sells, perhaps more so in motorsports; just as the name Senna is supposed to be good for F1,(IMO) stupid Lotus retro liveries and not to mention the obvious - grid girls.
    Now grid girls I do see as outdated and unnecessary.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Call me old-fashioned, but I don't see anything too bad in those comments. ....
    Indulge me please in the following hypothetical scenario where a senior VP of a company makes the following public comment to prospective female employee:

"If Susie is as efficient in the office as she looks good out of the office then she will be a massive asset to any team and on top of that she is very intelligent. I am really looking forward to having her in the company."

Do you think that is an appropriate comment?
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    "If Susie is as efficient in the office as she looks good out of the office then she will be a massive asset to any team and on top of that she is very intelligent. I am really looking forward to having her in the company."

No, because racing drivers aren't stuck in an office.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Indulge me please in the following hypothetical scenario where a senior VP of a company makes the following public comment to prospective female employee:

Call me an outdated sexist pig, but essentially I see nothing wrong with that comment.

Taking simple compliments and seeing them as insults is somewhat twisted IMO. No offence, dear Schmenke.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    No, because racing drivers aren't stuck in an office.
    O.k., then, how about this:

"If Susie is as efficient working on the offshore oil rig as she looks good off the rig then she will be a massive asset to any team and on top of that she is very intelligent. I am really looking forward to having her work on the rig."

Quote Originally Posted by wiruwiru
    Call me an outdated sexist pig, but essentially I see nothing wrong with that comment.

Taking simple compliments and seeing them as insults is somewhat twisted IMO. No offence, dear Schmenke.
    I’m genuinely surprised.

In this example the qualifications of the worker is being evaluated based on both her gender and her appearance.

In my workplace/industry a comment like that from senior management personnel is grounds for dismissal.