Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New here, never actually raced, but...

Hey everyone! I'm the new guy in town. So, a little bit about me, and why I'm here.

I've always loved cars, as long as I can remember. I'm the kind of guy who can name nearly any car's make and model by just the taillights, and who slept with toy cars in my bed instead of stuffed animals. I'm an avid racing gamer, and enjoy anything that gives me the feeling of being behind the wheel. I've wanted to drive professionally since I was little, and it's the only interest I have that's never flagged. In recent years--the past two, for the most part--I've taught myself to drive, and to handle a car in a way that many would expect to be near impossible, if not fully so. More precisely, I've taught myself to drive insane roads at insane speeds in Honda Accords; not the sportiest of cars, but sufficiently quick and maneuverable enough that I can keep up with a WRX STI on curvy, crumbling asphalt roads through the woods. I've also met the Governor of Speed in the car I currently drive, a 2007 Accord. He resides at 130 miles per hour. So I know I'm not slow, and I know how to push a car to the brink of its handling; how to feel the front tires through the wheel and all four through the seat of my pants; how to recognize when either the front or back of the car is slipping and correct for it (though I wouldn't be able to put any of these feelings or actions into words. Cars are all instinct for me); how to run a car until its brakes are red-hot, literally, without crashing into guardrails. I have the perfect skill-set for racing, along with the right mindset. I'm sorry about the shameless plugging--not so shameless, really, I'm terribly sorry for it. But it's all driving towards my point.

Along with all that, I have certain neurological, psychological, and developmental issues that make traditional schooling nigh on impossible for me to complete. I often don't learn well in a classroom setting, and my ADHD, along with executive dysfunction, make doing homework a task to dwarf the building of the Colosseum. So racing, besides being my passion, is one of my very few opportunities to have a successful career in a field that pays well when done well. The only problem with this is that my family doesn't have the financial wherewithal to bring this low-hanging, delicious bud on the tree of my life to fruition. I can't even afford a kart at this point. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, either regarding how to get myself into racing with essentially no money, or careers linked to racing that could hold my interest. I'm much obliged to anyone who suffered through all this insufferable blabbing, and will be more so to anyone who has any advice in this matter, whether or not it's viable for me.

Thanks for reading! Expect to see me around here a bit from now on, though I'll probably mostly be a spectator.

(Side note: Does anyone else agree that the 2012 Alfa Disco Volante concept is quite possibly the most beautiful car ever created?)

-Keegs

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pkeegs
    ...I've taught myself to drive, and to handle a car in a way that many would expect to be near impossible, if not fully so. More precisely, I've taught myself to drive insane roads at insane speeds in Honda Accords; not the sportiest of cars, but sufficiently quick and maneuverable enough that I can keep up with a WRX STI on curvy, crumbling asphalt roads through the woods. I've also met the Governor of Speed in the car I currently drive, a 2007 Accord. He resides at 130 miles per hour. So I know I'm not slow, and I know how to push a car to the brink of its handling; how to feel the front tires through the wheel and all four through the seat of my pants; how to recognize when either the front or back of the car is slipping and correct for it (though I wouldn't be able to put any of these feelings or actions into words. Cars are all instinct for me); how to run a car until its brakes are red-hot, literally, without crashing into guardrails. I have the perfect skill-set for racing, along with the right mindset. I'm sorry about the shameless plugging--not so shameless, really, I'm terribly sorry for it. But it's all driving towards my point.

Along with all that, I have certain neurological, psychological, and developmental issues that make traditional schooling nigh on impossible for me to complete. I often don't learn well in a classroom setting, and my ADHD, along with executive dysfunction, make doing homework a task to dwarf the building of the Colosseum.
    Mate, get off the road before you kill someone.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    Indeed. Go rallying instead. From that description you are far more suited to rally driving than racing.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    You're right, I shouldn't drive like that on the roads. In my defense--as much as it doesn't matter--I drive on largely unused roads, in the middle of the night, away from houses, cars, and pedestrians. If I kill anyone, it will be me. But even that isn't to say that I should drive like that. I understand that there's always a chance something could go wrong, and I've been working, with a significant amount of success, on cutting down the insanity in my driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Indeed. Go rallying instead. From that description you are far more suited to rally driving than racing.
    A fair assumption, and I would like to end up, ultimately, as a rally driver. But I see tracks in ways most people don't. I use slightly different turn lines, slightly different tactics... everything about the way I drive is different from anyone else I've ever met, and it generally works. I don't have the means to go rallying, either. I would if I could, but I can't. I can't afford my own car, and my parents sure as hell won't let me take my dad's or grandmother's car rallying. I'd also need money for tires, fuel, etc., and I just don't have that.

Also, on an unrelated topic, I'm sorry if I'm coming across a little... douchey might be the word for it. It's more of an internet persona than anything; I'll need to settle in before I start being me. I definitely don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Admin
    In general racing is considerably more expensive than rallying. What makes you think racing would be easier to get into?

Besides any way you are talking a lot of cash.

Perhaps you should try some track days first to see if you are as quick as you reckon.

It's also good to see that you want to channel it in the right way. Out of the way or the middle of the night or whatever, keep it calm on the public roads. You might meet me coming home from work.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    In general racing is considerably more expensive than rallying. What makes you think racing would be easier to get into?

Besides any way you are talking a lot of cash.

Perhaps you should try some track days first to see if you are as quick as you reckon.

It's also good to see that you want to channel it in the right way. Out of the way or the middle of the night or whatever, keep it calm on the public roads. You might meet me coming home from work.
    I get the impression that a decent karting setup is cheaper than a decent rallying setup, so I've been figuring that if I can get myself a kart, helmet, suit, gloves, boots, etc., I can demonstrate my ability and possibly get sponsorship.

Trying a few track days makes sense, though... do you know if there are any good tracks near NYC with loaner/renter karts and equipment?

And yeah, I don't think it's fair of me to risk other persons' welfare in the interests of going fast.

Thank you for being so responsive, by the way, I appreciate it.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    But karts also take support equipment as well as the kart itself... you aren't driving it to the track are you?

Probably the cheapest thing to get into racing with is a street car that you can Autocross. The various classes are set up so that quite a few cheap cars have a very good chance of doing well. Drivers skill is very important, and if you find a class that allows very cheap cars that is also a plus.

At the end of the day think you are fast and knowing you are fast are two different things. Until you get to a track and compete against similar cars you really don't know.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    You have near perfect skills----you wanna go "racing" but you don't have any money..

Go back and choose some richer parents and have them buy you nice karts till you're 16 then buy you a seat in some "team"...

That is how it's done...

There are two things that everyman and boy thinks he's better than average at.
    Driving is the other one..

I assure you, you aren't probably even average at either. Guys that are good are analytical (and often not too bright---I speak from personal experience--I did full time professional motorsports for 2 sorta seasons--both shortened with injuries. Injuries which even 35 years later have led to 4 serious operations in the last 4 years and another scheduled) and they must be , even to be just a mid pack guy, realistic at analyzing situations.

You stated there's no money yet you dream...I am all for dreaming....my guiding quote was from a noted Englishman who said "The crime is not in failing, but in setting low aims". (Bonus points for knowing the speaker)

But car racing even amateur local yeee haw dirt track ovals requires money.

My motorsports I knew i could afford with just a steady middle working class income...and i was lucky to talk to a bunch of the guys referenced in this "How Good is your Geographic?" thread somewhere around here.....a whole gang of World Champions in a relaxed non track party.. I asked them "What should i do if i want to do what you are doing, drive full time all round the world"

The answer was "Give yourself 10 years serious training"..
    It took 11...then 2 seasons and I was flat worn out...
    Me "How long for serious condition?" "min 4 years if no serious injuries"
    Never really had it---knees, knees knees arms knees.. I was Pro at taping knees for the different tears and detached ligaments...

In the end it was insanely hard work, way more fun to ratchet down and do clubbie events.

Anyway, go back and see if you can be born to the "Lucky Sperm Club", and then you can be like the guys we see on one side in US Presidential races :Born on Third base and they think they hit a home run"
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    But karts also take support equipment as well as the kart itself... you aren't driving it to the track are you?

Probably the cheapest thing to get into racing with is a street car that you can Autocross. The various classes are set up so that quite a few cheap cars have a very good chance of doing well. Drivers skill is very important, and if you find a class that allows very cheap cars that is also a plus.

At the end of the day think you are fast and knowing you are fast are two different things. Until you get to a track and compete against similar cars you really don't know.
    Fair enough. I'm aware that karts also require extra equipment, which means more money. Thanks for the tip on Autocross, I'll probably end up pursuing that. And yeah, you're right, I don't actually know I'm fast in comparison to other racers. I have a strong feeling, based on what I know I can do in a cheap car in different circumstances than would occur in a race. I'll have to try and see what happens in the field, rather than racing on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    You have near perfect skills----you wanna go "racing" but you don't have any money..

Go back and choose some richer parents and have them buy you nice karts till you're 16 then buy you a seat in some "team"...

That is how it's done...

There are two things that everyman and boy thinks he's better than average at.
    Driving is the other one..

I assure you, you aren't probably even average at either. Guys that are good are analytical (and often not too bright---I speak from personal experience--I did full time professional motorsports for 2 sorta seasons--both shortened with injuries. Injuries which even 35 years later have led to 4 serious operations in the last 4 years and another scheduled) and they must be , even to be just a mid pack guy, realistic at analyzing situations.

You stated there's no money yet you dream...I am all for dreaming....my guiding quote was from a noted Englishman who said "The crime is not in failing, but in setting low aims". (Bonus points for knowing the speaker)

But car racing even amateur local yeee haw dirt track ovals requires money.

My motorsports I knew i could afford with just a steady middle working class income...and i was lucky to talk to a bunch of the guys referenced in this "How Good is your Geographic?" thread somewhere around here.....a whole gang of World Champions in a relaxed non track party.. I asked them "What should i do if i want to do what you are doing, drive full time all round the world"

The answer was "Give yourself 10 years serious training"..
    It took 11...then 2 seasons and I was flat worn out...
    Me "How long for serious condition?" "min 4 years if no serious injuries"
    Never really had it---knees, knees knees arms knees.. I was Pro at taping knees for the different tears and detached ligaments...

In the end it was insanely hard work, way more fun to ratchet down and do clubbie events.

Anyway, go back and see if you can be born to the "Lucky Sperm Club", and then you can be like the guys we see on one side in US Presidential races :Born on Third base and they think they hit a home run"
    Think you could have been a little more harsh? I know that I'm much better than the average lay driver, at the very, very least. My friends are the kind of people who own Golf GTIs, WRX STIs, plain old Imprezas, Eclipses and the like, and I've never, ever even come close to losing a race to them--bear in mind that I drive a 4-cylinder, 4-door 2007 Accord, and I'm going against those cars. And my friends are fantastic drivers. So I know I have some measure of skill. Training-wise, I'd say I have about three year's worth of experience, since I've had my license for about two and a half years now, and I had my learner's permit for a year beforehand. Controlling a car has never been a problem for me. I can buzz through gaps that most people wouldn't be willing to even try to ease through (static gaps between things like telephone poles and shopping carts, not gaps in traffic, I'm not that reckless). And I'm very analytical, for the most part. My situational awareness is ridiculous, due to my ADHD; nothing gets filtered out, ever. Being analytical is the very trait that led me to this forum. I know that many, if not all, of the doors to racing are closed to me at the moment, so I came here to gather knowledge and advice from people experienced in the industry. And keep in mind that I never said I have no money. I'm on a very tight budget, but I make around $500-$600 a month. So please, don't tell me to "go back and choose some richer parents". I'm here to learn, and maybe eventually contribute something useful; I'm certainly not here to be scoffed at.

Also, I invite you to sit in the passenger seat of my car and tell me I'm not a better than average driver. I promise I wouldn't wrap the car around a tree or anything. I'd just give you a ride better than you'd expect possible in that car.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by pkeegs
    I get the impression that a decent karting setup is cheaper than a decent rallying setup, so I've been figuring that if I can get myself a kart, helmet, suit, gloves, boots, etc., I can demonstrate my ability and possibly get sponsorship.

Trying a few track days makes sense, though... do you know if there are any good tracks near NYC with loaner/renter karts and equipment?

And yeah, I don't think it's fair of me to risk other persons' welfare in the interests of going fast.

Thank you for being so responsive, by the way, I appreciate it.
    All kart tracks will loan you a kart.

But that's not what I mean. I mean a track day, where you take your own road car and drive it around the track as fast as you like.

I'd assumed you were in the UK they are very common here. For USA, no idea.