Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Liked 979 Times in 340 Posts
    Unbelievable! Just came across a photo of inside the car.
    Rail really got in there. Terrible accident

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uranium
    I hope, for the future organisers and safety inspectors must pay attention to such places and make them safer somehow.
    I agree. After the accidents of Kubica and now Breen, they must. They either have to not run on stages with these exposed ends or have hay bails placed there.

You can never make motorsport totally safe, and sadly especially rallying, but they must do what they can to minmise the risks of obvious dangers like this.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Have a look on some onboard from Targa Florio. These endings are everywhere. On most of the places You can't put any hay bails from space reasons. I anyway doubt they can have any effect because if the rail can easily penetrate whole car some hay is like a butter for it. Here You would have not to run these stages at all if You want to avoid the risk.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Have a look on some onboard from Targa Florio. These endings are everywhere. On most of the places You can't put any hay bails from space reasons. I anyway doubt they can have any effect because if the rail can easily penetrate whole car some hay is like a butter for it. Here You would have not to run these stages at all if You want to avoid the risk.
    You are bit underestimating the effect of hay bails. They are very effective when you are trying to cut them from the wider side. It is nearly impossible (When I was young I tried to lift them using fork-lift and you cannot do it). But indeed, sometimes it is very difficult to place a hayball due to the limited space.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    You didn't go into them by the fork lift at 100 km/h, did You? If You crash into the rails at 10 km/h they don't penetrate the car either.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

MJW
    The photo upon is different accident of Ferraroti. The accident of Breen happened in this corner: Google Maps (street view). It really was an end of the barrier, not overlapping.
    Sad thing there is no need for a barrier in that location.

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    You didn't go into them by the fork lift at 100 km/h, did You? If You crash into the rails at 10 km/h they don't penetrate the car either.
    OK, you are right on that. I was a little bit slower indeed ;-) But I guess that one hay bail is still enough to bounce the car away or absorb enough energy to save a life in 99% of cases.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Liked 638 Times in 330 Posts
    http://www.motori.gr/newsarticle/762

an article with nice opinion on gareth's death and that FIA must look a bit more into similar incidents. i am not sure if google translate works well for greek though