Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Giacomo Rappaccini
    .... The straight six power-plant in that rig was a perfect balance of fuel economy and power....
    That reminds me of the other family vehicle we once had: a 1964 Plymouth Valiant, with a slant-six, 225(?) cu. in. engine. I believe it produced about 180hp which wasn’t stellar but that engine was indestructible. We owned that car well into the 1980’s and Chrysler was still producing and fitting that engine into several of their new cars.
    The Valiant we had was equipped with push-button automatic transmission and was the car I first learned to drive .

I remember the road trip the family did in that car one summer, pulling a pop-up tent trailer from Montreal to Florida . The water pump gave out somewhere in South Carolina but as luck would have it, the first service station we limped into happened to have a replacement

I don't know what the final odemeter was when we finally got rid of it (the rear differential gave way, but the engine was still in perfect running order) because the speedometer stopped working long ago : .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Valiants were a very popular car, and they did seem to run forever. A buddy of mine had a Rambler Station Wagon with a push-button automatic. I'm not sure what year it was I would guess early to mid 60's. We used to load the Surfboards in the back and cruised to south Mission Beach, La Jolla Shores, and even take it to the playas. There are several good breaks before you even get to Rosarito Beach which is about 35 Kilometers south of the border. We had our system worked out so that we would bring cannabis down but leave it in tupperware containers and when we left we hid them in the eroded cavities of the cliffs so we didn't have to worry about scrutiny, by ailor: U.S.Customs mokin:
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    If I'd have sold everything I owned in 1967 (it wasn't much), I could have bought the 427 Cobra on the showroom floor at Koons Ford in Arlington Va for $6000 - sticker price. Of course I'd have been dead in a week. Had a friend with a 64 Pontiac Tempest with the 326 engine. It was the predecessor of the GTO. He could afford everything except keeping rear tires on it. Too bad those days are long gone.
    They sure are long gone, along with service attendants at gas stations!! I had a friend whose father was an exec with New York Life in S.D. He got his wife a new Cadillac every other year, but he was into more sporty models He had a 1970 Corvette, but I thought his 1966 Lancia Flaminia Zagato SS was the badest car I ever rode in at the time. The cobra would blow either one away, but The Lancia looked and sounded so cool with its tall gearing. It didn't have the grunt his ‘vette had, but it sounded wicked when he took it through the gears. That little hummer was my first experience with a high revving imported sportster. I preferred it to the 'vette. I bet that thing is worth a fortune in today’s market

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    They sure are long gone, along with service attendants at gas stations!! I had a friend whose father was an exec with New York Life in S.D. He got his wife a new Cadillac every other year, but he was into more sporty models He had a 1970 Corvette, but I thought his 1966 Lancia Flaminia Zagato SS was the badest car I ever rode in at the time. The cobra would blow either one away, but The Lancia looked and sounded so cool with its tall gearing. It didn't have the grunt his ‘vette had, but it sounded wicked when he took it through the gears. That little hummer was my first experience with a high revving imported sportster. I preferred it to the 'vette. I bet that thing is worth a fortune in today’s market
    Holy sh!t i suppose I should be in prison. I was doing my girlfriend in the back of my 56 dodge where my beautiful daughter was probably conceived. I was 18 she was 17 so I hope they don't come and get me to serve 10 yrs.
    Is this country getting disgusting or what. OHOHOH my God you got a piece of ass. Holy sh!t lets do a world wide investigation.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Roamy
    Holy issues sh!t i suppose I should be in prison. OHOHOH my God you got a piece of ass. Holy sh!t lets do a world wide investigation.
    Take it easy Chief. The US was doomed the moment the Puritans landed on our glorious soil. Things like liberty appear to be eroding, and in many ways they are. I used to joke with my father that there are so many new laws that both him and my mother, along with most of my siblings would be in prison if they were applied retroactively. Although I really do love my country, but that is not a good enough reason for me to be a political reactionary. Americans used to speak fondly of our being a "melting pot" of all colors creeds and nationalities. Now that that it is truly becoming a reality, it conjures, in a certain elements of our society more prejudice than it was supposed to eliminate. This kind of hypocrisy (the lack of foresight) is not our exclusive domain. The entirety of western civilization has their little political issues like illegal immigration if their society is one that is desirable. Most Americans don't really know how well off they really are. I saw something on the tube about 10 years ago that really cracked me up. I saw an interview with an Italian pleasure-craft builder. The price of his guy’s yachts started at $1,000,000 USD. He was implying that his company in Venice could not prosper because Italy at the time was restricting work visa's and his problem was that he needed Slovenians, because of what great builders they were. I'm listening to this freakin’ guy and thinking.... Hmmm the city that was once the greatest City-State in the world due mostly to their domination of the Mediterranean because of their ship building ability can't find freakin' Venetians or other Italians in the area that could out-build Slovenians, or at least equal them? Then it hit me, what this yahoo was really saying was he wants Slovenians, because what he really meant was he didn't want to pay the going rate for native ship builders. I draw an analogy to Mexicans working in the U.S. because it only became a problem twice in our great counties history. The first time was in the great depression. The US government was persuaded to make the possession of Marijuana illegal for the sole purpose of eliminating Mexicans ( who loved their pot) from the southwestern part of the US to help Americans with job openings mostly in Texas, even though these Mexicans had roots going back for generations in that part of the North America. The most recent exodus from Mexico was the direct responsibility of several large industries not giving a sh!t about the US Craftsmen, when they can hire someone to do the work with less quality for half price. In our life time we have seen Mexicans whose only real purpose for being here was to be migrant farm workers, to a huge demographic in our society mostly because the government turned a blind eye as corporations illegally hired them without fear of recrimination. I remember listening to Caesar Chavez when I was attending San Diego State University speaking on behalf of the cruel conditions these migrants faced at the hands of growers in the San Joachim Valley. I walked away from this rally realizing his cause was just.
    Now through the greed of American Land Developers, and industrial Meat Producers they have a strangle hold on the industries that were previously, and proudly performed by working class Americans.
    I would like to end this post with a quote from Abraham Lincoln:

At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it?-- Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never!--All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years.

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.
    Peace dude

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Taz
    nice but our country is in the sh!tter because or our politicians and there seems to be no road out
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Quote Originally Posted by Roamy
    Taz
    nice but our country is in the sh!tter because or our politicians and there seems to be no road out
    Let me reiterate:
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Abe
    As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.
    Don't punk out

Let me reiterate:

Don't punk out
    l

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSvH4s-4sCQ