Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: English

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    The abysmal education system in the US isn't helping folks over here get any better at it either.
    I didn't want to say it, for fear of being rounded on from some quarter or another as 'anti-American', but I think you are right. One sees it on these forums. The superb written English of some of the non-native speakers in this very thread is in stark contrast to some from across the Atlantic.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    yep, innit like !
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    The public school system in my town has gone overly PC. There is a proposal with the school council to drop the popular “English as a Second Language” (ESL) program, introduced several years ago to assist newly arrived immigrant children to learn English, and replace it with either (or both) Mandarin and Arabic language instruction for all students .
    French language instruction, despite being mandatory under Canada’s Official Languages Act legislation, is being phased out of the public school system because it has been surpassed by both Mandarin and Arabic as a second language spoken by families here .

Apologies for the rant .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    While I may sometimes act as the unwanted grammar police on here, one thing that never ceases to impress me is the standard of English displayed by some non-native speakers of the language. I mean, the likes of studi... sorry, wiruwiru, jens and Eki demonstrate virtually perfect idiomatic English, and ioan, gadjo_dilo and many others aren't far behind — often, ahead of those who actually speak and write in English as their mother tongue. So, how did those of you with these skills come to pick them up? While I studied German at university and lived in Germany until last week, my command of that language is dreadful in comparison.
    Thanks, your compliments are very appreciated :
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    didn't you know? wiruwiru is English slang for "big fat stupid donkey-nose"
    Donquito mio before we ass-ume that don't you think it would be studious to ask Mr__________ just which letter values he is intending?

en anglais, those w are probably the Angleski "w" sound and the 'i' are always troublesome as the could be a short 'i' or a drawled "eye" >
    But if he is using letter values that most of the rest of the Indo-European family uses then it could be said "v" then like French, Spanish or Pork-n-cheese 'i' akin to Englisch 'ee' and that r is very likely trilled a bit as you do when braying as you Burros do occasionally so it could be "Veeerrrru-Veeerrrru'.

And we all know what Veeeeeru-Veeerru means (he said blushing violently)...Harumph!

mi caro mamasita me dijo "Always try to say people's names correctly, Juanito" So Burritito mio, on something so important don't you think it would be best to stelle ein frage to our friend von estland?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Dein Freund von Estland does not care!

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wiruwiru
    Dein Freund von Estland does not care!
    You may snot care but the general subject here was Good Englische so naturlich we must know!

What would happen if every time I see your name I think Veeeeerrrrrrrru! It will cause me to be even more confused what language I'm writing and as you see it's bad enough already.....
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    You may snot care but the general subject here was Good Englische so naturlich we must know!

What would happen if every time I see your name I think Veeeeerrrrrrrru! It will cause me to be even more confused what language I'm writing and as you see it's bad enough already.....
    You swear a bit in Finnish, right? That's a good start. Replace the "w" with a "v", and you've got yourself a county in Estonia from which the Finnish word for Estonia is derived. My family is from there. Now what I did -- and this is where it gets interesting -- is used the word not once but twice.

I think we've now spent enough time on my personalfrage.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    What's the saying? America and England - divided by a common language. The abysmal education system in the US isn't helping folks over here get any better at it either.
    I noticed that when I visited the US. People didn't seem to recognize words/terms like "toilet" or "mobile phone". I had to use "cell phone" and "restroom" instead. I guess an average American doesn't have a vocabulary that reaches much beyond American dialects?

All things pass though and any young person today would be well advised to learn some Chinese or Spanish.
    I also noticed that I had a better understanding with American engineers with European heritage than with Hispanic or black fast food restaurant workers. Although the background noise in the fast food restaurants also played a role.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    ...I had to use "cell phone" and "restroom"...
    Neither of which are incorrect
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti