Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exclamation Helmets Are Used For 1 Race Only??

i have this conversation with a friend,he insist that they are using a helmet every race..is that truth? i believe that there is not reason to throw it if its good without any damage...are they really using them 1 race only? and if yes whats the reason?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It is true. Most drivers use 2 or 3 helmets per weekend and after use helmets go for sponsors, museums, auctions and so on.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    whats the reason?they are not capable for more races?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    When did this practise start? How many Senna 'Nacional' helmets are there?
    Formula Platypus 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted
    It is true. Most drivers use 2 or 3 helmets per weekend and after use helmets go for sponsors, museums, auctions and so on.
    So drivers tend to go through $20,000 to $60,000 worth of helmets in one weekend? I highly doubt that. I believe it was either the Newey designed helmet that Webber was testing, or a driver had switched to the same manufacturer as Schumi's "bulletproof" helmet, but I did read recently that it was worth $20,000 a helmet (and that probably doesn't include the paint job!!!)

About the only thing I've read so far on this subject is:

Despite the cutting edge materials used in their construction Formula One helmets are still painted by hand, an incredibly skilled job requiring hundreds of hours of work for more complicated patterns and designs. And most drivers will go through several helmets during the course of a season.

http://www.formula1.com/insight/tech...fo/11/771.html
    Now from my snowmobiling days I do recall a warning on the fiberglass/composite helmets that warned that should the helmet suffer an impact that it should be replaced, and I imagine that could be the same for an F1 helmet, meaning if a driver suffers a few crashes during a race weekend, it could result it having to replace the helmet often (Or if you drive for BMW and their tendancy to drop things )
    The Preceding post may have contained nudity, sexuality, violence, coarse language and Jacques
    Villeneuve and is intended for a mature audience, parental guidance is advised.
    So you wanna know what the PS Stands for.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    There's quite a few. There's an amusing Keke Rosberg quote somewhere about the number of helmets Mika Hakkinen had in the late 1990's, if someone wants to look that up.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    There's quite a few. There's an amusing Keke Rosberg quote somewhere about the number of helmets Mika Hakkinen had in the late 1990's, if someone wants to look that up.

It's here, around the middle of the page. But he doesn't say how many he used!
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you can't possibly believe the drivers pay for their own helmets?

they will end up in a polycarbonate case on a wooden/carbon fibre plinth and sprinkled amongst the workshop itself, sponsors, minor sponsors, charities, museums and a few family and friends.

three a race is only 50 a year or thereabouts. count the sponsors on most cars and do the sums.
    the wise man does at once what the fool does finally - macchiavelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Maybe you should contact Uffe at Uffedesigns. He paints all Räikkönen helmets, so maybe he knows. And ask also how does it take to paint one? Hint, it is not hundred hours.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSfan
    Now from my snowmobiling days I do recall a warning on the fiberglass/composite helmets that warned that should the helmet suffer an impact that it should be replaced, and I imagine that could be the same for an F1 helmet, meaning if a driver suffers a few crashes during a race weekend, it could result it having to replace the helmet often (Or if you drive for BMW and their tendancy to drop things )
    Exactly.

Considering the amount of stresses that pass through a helmet and incidental banging on the sides of the cockpit, I wouldn't trust them for more than 1000km at most.
    If you're on a motorbike or a snowmobile, I'd say it's higly likely that you're not suffering 4G through corners nor constantly hitting your head on the sides of your motorbike or the snowmobile.
    BS6658 covers Motorbike/Automotive helmets. The suggestion based on this on the inside of my Arai helmet is that if you even suspect the hint of damage you should get it X-rayed and/or replaced.

I suppose it all depends on how much you value your head doesn't it? If F1 drivers replace their helmets after every outing, I'd not think that as unreasonable at all.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!