Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Felipe Massa

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    Hakkinen or Lauda, to name just two, might have something to say to that. However, I agree with the general sentiment here. Poor Felipe, I've always liked him, but if he doesn't do something impressive soon he's not going to see out the season.

The obvious choice to replace him would be Alguersuari. They could take him on for the rest of the season and then see how Kubica is. Jaume has experience of the Ferrari engine, and he has the drive and motivation to get the most out of the car, combined with enough experience to bring it home in one piece regularly.
    Ferrari would be mad to take on Kubica. It'd be taking a driver that lost it in a big accident and potentially replacing with another driver who might also have lost it. Kubica is an unknown entity after his crash. Hiring him without seeing if he still has it would be madness. I think Sutil would be a good replacement for Felipe. It's excuse after excuse with him but nothing at this stage can cover up that Felipe has truly lost his mojo.

I feel sorry for him as he's a likeable fella but I think his career is pretty much over. I can't see why any other team would hire him.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    If they want to change driver I think they should concider Rubens again.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    If Ferrari want a new driver they need someone who will support Alonso but who can also be groomed to step up to #1 driver when the Spaniard leaves/retires.

Kubica's almost certainly not going to race F1 again but even if he did come back wouldn't fit the #2 mould; Barrichello undoubtedly has experience but doesn't have a long-term racing career ahead of him.

Someone like Perez would be ideal: he'd jump at the chance and would quite happily play rear gunner to Fernando, he's also young enough that he could be a long term driver for the team.

Whatever, Massa's surely on borrowed time. It's only the first race of the season so there's plenty of time for improvement, but I can't imagine Ferrari management were impressed with his performance this weekend.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01
    If they want to change driver I think they should concider Rubens again.
    I'm sorry, but that's funny!

Liked 1,075 Times in 601 Posts
    Hakkinen or Lauda, to name just two, might have something to say to that. However, I agree with the general sentiment here. Poor Felipe, I've always liked him, but if he doesn't do something impressive soon he's not going to see out the season.

The obvious choice to replace him would be Alguersuari. They could take him on for the rest of the season and then see how Kubica is. Jaume has experience of the Ferrari engine, and he has the drive and motivation to get the most out of the car, combined with enough experience to bring it home in one piece regularly.
    Yes, I was thinking of Hakkinen when I wrote that!
    I have to admit though that once Mika won his two championships he seemed to stop trying. David Coultard once said that Mika stopped driving one of the old McLaren cars when he and David we reunited a few years ago because "he got scared".

Lauda - I did forget about him. Wasn't the sentiment that Olivier Panis' career was ruined after he broke both legs in a crash in Canada?

Anyway, I like Felipe too, especially how he handled himself after losing the world championship by one lousy point...
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    I like Massa a lot. I admire and respect Alonso as one of the best drivers in history but Massa is the one I support from the Ferrari duo. That said it is painful to see him drive at the moment and I have to ask, does he even enjoy turning up every other weekend to be outpaced by his teammate to this degree every time? Is driving a red F1 car worth that assault on his dignity? Previously I have said that his drop off in performance may be due to the Pirellis not being to his liking but he's had enough time to adjust. The excuses are running out.

I disagree, Red Bull have openly said that they do not believe Alguersuari has what it takes to be a top driver, especially in terms of intelligence. I might disagree with the fact that they made this information public but I do not dispute their conclusions as they've tested him long enough. Why would Ferrari want to take him on?

Kubica is not going to be back in F1 sadly. People say Massa isn't the same after what turned out to be a head injury with no longstanding effects, Kubica's injuries are on a different scale and currently we have little indication that he has returned to the level of physical function attained by most people on this forum let alone a honed top F1 driver.

If Ferrari are desperate they can call Sauber and take Perez or possibly Kobayashi (maybe they can get Bianchi as a replacement). Alternatively if this season is going to be written off, let Massa finish the season with dignity and pick one of the many top drivers whose contracts finish this season.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was thinking about starting this thread after Q but thought he might just be a bit rusty. I hope Ferrari keep him

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    To be frank, I don’t see why (and probably many think in the same way) was Massa kept even for this season.
    Dont you know who his manager is?

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSon
    Dont you know who his manager is?
    If that is the case it would make sense to switch him with his manager's other client.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    If that is the case it would make sense to switch him with his manager's other client.
    I don't think giving Bianchi a drive without proper F1 testing in a Ferrari car would make any sense, specially if he's going to have Alonso as a teammate. I'd rather bring Alguersuari in, but there's no reason to think he could perform any better than Massa is doing, specially considering that he hasn't driven a Formula One car, let alone a Ferrari, for several months.