• Good idea

38 58.46%
  • Bad idea

23 35.38%
  • Don't know/care

4 6.15%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    melbourne is a great race and it should stay in melbourne. I would hate the idea of it moving to the Gold Coast, just doesn't seem right and there is no need to have that much money thrown at an event, australia already has one, why waste 650 million dollars on something that could be used for a better cause considering a formula 1 race is already in the country.

Don't make australia a night race, but keep it in melbourne, and push melbourne further back into the calendar if bernie wants, but make a permanent circuit like malaysia a night race if he wishes, the layout there would be great because the lighting would reach many parts of the circuit.

PLEASE DON"T TAKE THE MELBOURNE GRAND PRIX AWAY! a grand prix that has won the best event of the year cannot be taken away by the gold coast, i'll cry myself to sleep for days no!
    Michael Schumacher - the most succesful driver in formula 1 history - ROBERT KUBICA!

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waitey
    PLEASE DON"T TAKE THE MELBOURNE GRAND PRIX AWAY! a grand prix that has won the best event of the year cannot be taken away by the gold coast, i'll cry myself to sleep for days no!
    Well yet again, this is the same state that manages to pull record crowds year in year out for the Indy 300 (400,000 + ) despite ChampCar being in a nearly recessive state.

I'm inclined to think that, if the circuit is a good one, it could be the best event on the calendar. It is close to a major population centre, it will be a high-tech racetrack, and knowing the people who hang around the Gold Coast at night-time, I'm sure there will be atmosphere.

The only thing that sours me on the idea is the $650 million which could go to something like a drought-relief program, which would address a long-term problem.

There is nothing wrong with Melbourne, I agree. But if this is actually a serious $650 million they are promising, and the high-tech track is near a major population centre, then I can't see how it would fall flat on its face.

I have confidence in this idea.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Drivers security is the biggest problem, if they accept it we will have night races. Honestly I believe it is very dangerous and I believe it shouldn't be done.

Heidfeld's questions it too:

<<"It is not like a football game where you need a few lights. Just imagine if there is a power cut," ...
    "In football you can stop the game but in Formula One, when we're driving at 300kph and it is dark ... I don't want to be in the situation.">>

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlin...02120928.shtml
    This is what i was about to talk, I didn't follow this thread from beginning so i don't know whether or not this idea came to the surface. Ioan has pointed this out right. Drivers’ safety is the most important thing before everything for you to consider.

What about the power cut, using hi-beam in front side of the car I doubt will sufficiently give a safe coverage in such high speed, it will be troubling more in the chicane.

Finally, the worst thing if there is an error on car electricity that can cause the hi-beam lamps have a short circuit and cut off, there is no way other than parking the car near by advertising board if it's equipped with light reflector.

I'd rather disagree to this idea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hope you people realize that you're talking about a light bulb as though it's an unreliable technology. Here's a video from Champ Car's night race in Houston. (WARNING: Turn your speakers off, the video is set to a really crappy song.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcgseIiqopI

I think if there should be a night race anywhere, it's Europe. Unless everyone there has to be in bed by 9:30, I'm not sure what the problem is.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Heidfeld's questions it too:

<<"It is not like a football game where you need a few lights. Just imagine if there is a power cut," ...
    "In football you can stop the game but in Formula One, when we're driving at 300kph and it is dark ... I don't want to be in the situation.">>

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlin...02120928.shtml
    I know next-to-nothing about how one would go about lighting an F1 track for a night race, but surely any lights erected for a night-race would be temporary and connected to individual generators? So if one generator packed in the light from the other lights would be enough to see safely enough? It's not like you'd plug those massive spot lights into the mains!