Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts

Mercedes "F-duct" 2012-style

So apparently Mercedes have an F-duct type mechanism that takes air from the rear wing and uses it to stall the front wing. It's activated by the DRS:

Mercedes: F-Duct Front Wing operated by the Rear Wing DRS | Scarbsf1's Blog

And Charlie's happy that it's legal... he acknowledges that it's activated by the activation of the DRS, but says "...it is completely passive. There are no moving parts in it; it doesn’t interact with any suspension. No steering, nothing. Therefore I cannot see a rule that prohibits it."

The paddock buzz in MelbourneJames Allen on F1

Looks like some clever work by Ross Brawn's team. No doubt the other teams will have their rule book lawyers scrutinising it already, and I think you could make a decent argument against it based on rule 3.15. But it seems Mercedes will get to use it for a while at least, could be a useful advantage for them in qualifying.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    So apparently Mercedes have an F-duct type mechanism that takes air from the rear wing and uses it to stall the front wing. It's activated by the DRS:

Mercedes: F-Duct Front Wing operated by the Rear Wing DRS | Scarbsf1's Blog

And Charlie's happy that it's legal... he acknowledges that it's activated by the activation of the DRS, but says "...it is completely passive. There are no moving parts in it; it doesn’t interact with any suspension. No steering, nothing. Therefore I cannot see a rule that prohibits it."

The paddock buzz in MelbourneJames Allen on F1

Looks like some clever work by Ross Brawn's team. No doubt the other teams will have their rule book lawyers scrutinising it already, and I think you could make a decent argument against it based on rule 3.15. But it seems Mercedes will get to use it for a while at least, could be a useful advantage for them in qualifying.
    How exactly? As Whiting said, it is completely passive. F-Duct was never banned, only driver movements which alter the aerodynamic characteristics of the car. DRS is legal. Mercedes simply put in a system that takes advantage of this. It's innovation, something we're seeing less and less of, and I see nothing wrong with it. Neither do the FIA apparently. It's completely within the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    How exactly? As Whiting said, it is completely passive. F-Duct was never banned, only driver movements which alter the aerodynamic characteristics of the car. DRS is legal. Mercedes simply put in a system that takes advantage of this. It's innovation, something we're seeing less and less of, and I see nothing wrong with it. Neither do the FIA apparently. It's completely within the rules.
    A rival team's rule book lawyer might look at this paragraph of 3.15:

With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.18, any car system, device or procedure which uses, or is suspected of using, driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.
    "Yes, DRS is legal. But the ducting in this system is not part of the DRS, and is not necessary for it. It does alter the aerodynamic characteristics of the car when activated by the driver. The activation is indirect, via the legal activation of the DRS, but that's splitting hairs. Ultimately the driver presses a button and as a result makes air pass through the duct."

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    The driver also uses the accelerator. the brakes and the steering wheel, all these actions alter the car's configuration.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    The driver also uses the accelerator. the brakes and the steering wheel, all these actions alter the car's configuration.
    Yes, as with most of F1's rules, this one clearly can't be interpreted absolutely literally, but of course that doesn't mean it can't be interpreted at all.
    There's a spectrum of situations here. Steering and braking affect the aerodynamics of the car, in fact it's impossible to avoid. But at the other end of the spectrum, imagine an F-duct system that somehow worked off pressure generated by the drink bottle pump, so every time the driver took a drink the front wing was stalled - that seems most likely illegal. What Mercedes are doing is somewhere between those two. I'm sure teams will be making representations to the FIA about where in that spectrum they think this falls.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that Mercedes' design is legal. Yes, DRS is a movable device, but it is meant to be so, and it is the only moving part of the car which has an influence on their F-duct system. I don't see how they could ban Mercedes' F-duct without banning DRS altogether.

I'm sure many people would like to see Merc's F-duct banned if it meant the end of DRS, though.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    The Mercs already had superb top speed performance last year, I'm left wondering if this front F-duct is actually new for this year? If it is and no-one else has copied it yet they could be the team to beat in Oz.

Technicaly its a clever solution but Is it within 'the spirit of the rules' ? Thats the FIA's get-out clause for banning anything they dont like.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like this innovation by Mercedes, some very clever thinking on their part.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great engineering work on Mercedes and must have been tough to keep this quiet until arriving at Melbourne.

Funny to hear Red bull cry foul when the last 2 years everyone else wasn't happy with the EBD

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by f1bettings
    Great engineering work on Mercedes and must have been tough to keep this quiet until arriving at Melbourne.
    They didn't manage to keep it quiet, the rumour was reported on a few websites at the end of last season iirc. Its surprising that McLaren dont have any issue with the Mercedes idea... makes you wonder if they have their own version.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!