Thread: Definitions

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts

Definitions

Looking at the WRC academy participants, two were listedmas coming from GB and one from Scotland. Not bad from the few that are a part of this.

But that got me thinking on the different words and ackronyms we use. GB, UK, Britain, England and so on.
    What is correct?
    Is this correct:
    Are Britain, Great Britain and the UK the same country?

Would it not make more sense to list them as being from, England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland ?

For us that do not live there Ireland is also a natural part of that landmass, even if they are their own country - and I have seen irish drivers listed as being from GB or UK.

Pls help explain the correct terms and names, and why it would not make sense to list drivers being for instanse from England ?

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    England, Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland are, together, the United Kingdom, or Great Britain. They are all individual countries. Ireland is not part of the UK.

That's what I know, never really had a problem with it.
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
    These four "countries" no longer have their own king (or queen), but common kingdom (United Kingdom), and all regard themselves as British (Great Britain).

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Many people have problems with this here in Finland. Many times I can hear people referring to UK as England. In the spoken language it's very common.

I think this video is excellent explanation to this subject.

Satakymppi, oikee yks