Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4686949596
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    its clearly that you cant understant what you watch at these 60 meters.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii
    its clearly that you cant understant what you watch at these 60 meters.
    Oh, I understand perfectly well, I'm just saying why the road is wetter
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv
    Oh, I understand perfectly well, I'm just saying why the road is wetter
    Ogier and Mikkelsen with how much time difference started compare to Petter?..

Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B
    I think probably 10 cars between dimvii WRC's started in reversed order for PS, and then the rest of the field in normal order, no? Anyway the time-difference is much bigger than it should be, even in different conditions.
    You are right about the start order but we have to say that wasn t raining,was just wet,but the difference in lines are huge.Normally when more wet you try to smooth lines something we didn t saw at these corners from Petter,but we saw it from Seb using all the road even the sidewalks.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Solberg didn't have perfect run on the PS even on wet road, everybody saw that by his time.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Just returned home yesterday from a journey that started with spectating Rally Germany for the first time.

We did shakedown+ 8 stages.

In shakedown we stayed at the last hairpin right for first 90 minutes, no big drama. Then walked to the close-by other spectating area with longer view over approach and exit of a double right. Novikov went a little wide and then Van Merkstejn Jr. spun into the trees, which we of course didn't see because of the trees... Soon after Ramona Karlsson somehow managed to miss the right turn, reversed into ditch and her car's exhaust lit the grass on fire. I can believe Ramona and her co-driver had bit of paniced thoughts when they jumped out of the car: "Not again!", perhaps. But it was not that serious situation after all. From the video link you can however see how Solberg approach the place almost at top pace since there was no warming... After a while we left for service park and later heard that no cars came through anymore as the Fuchs' accident had happened.

Later in Thursday we went to see cars and drivers queing for start ceremonies. It's not everyday anymore you Delta Integrales and MG Metros one after another. That was also a good chance to chat with many drivers.

Friday: We started with Mittelmosel 1, of course. After a bit of pondering we decided to stay at Mittelmosel until top 10 have passed the second loop and then move to Grafschaft 2 in the afternoon. For first loop we stayed at junction left with a bump on the inside that jumped some cars a bit. You could see the cars between the vines some 70 metres away driving down to the valley and then few minutes later you could see them starting to climb back up through 3-4 hairpins until they reached the place. And of course Mosel was running below, vineyards looked just as they look in the pictures, the road was climbing up the hill looking like a pinworm and weather was perfect. The tourism side of Mosel valley was taken care of. No big drama for any drivers. Prokop, Sordo, Ogier and Evanscame through with most memorable style, jumping a bit on the side from the junction. Nationals and historics we watched few hundred meters below. Had fun watching some 15 historic drivers taking a wrong turn in the maze of vineyard roads. No Stig there though.

For Mittelmosel 2 we choosed a place closer to our car and found a fast approach left under the trees with another left out and then view over the exit. Latvala came to our view all sliding before managing to correct it already a bit off road. It was this situation, but from our angle it looked more intense.

Then to Grafschaft 2. We left good time for driving in preparations for traffic, but there were absolutely none. Over all, apart from Panzerplatte, hardly any traffic jams on the route. Perhaps just good choice of places to visit. From Grafshaft we found a place on a wall, high speed place with fast left turn with a small bump. Yet again the overall view was quite something. We could see the rally cars in the distance going back and forth the hillside there on three roads. When the start interval changed to a minute, you had one car going right to left, one left to right and even one more right to left on the lowest road. Okey, it's some kilometre(s) away, but still something new for a rally fan who's used to a views of 50-200 metres in the local events here. Absolutely no big drama on the stage, it was just very nice to spectate the cars from the wall, perfectly safe just few inches away from the road.

Saturday: Okey, now the chance of rain finally materialised. We opted to go for Stein & Wein to the jump near the finish - famous to us from a picture of Ken Block by Tommeke_B from last year. This year however no mentionable jumps there, especially as there were no Ken Block and as it started to rain right after Loeb passed. Rain on Stein & Wein was decisive for the results, this picture tells it perfectly. I don't say Loeb got lucky, though he got, but he's running first for his acchievement and when running first, you sometimes get away safe from the rain. This was the sometimes.

Then the drive to Panzerplatte. We used smaller roads to avoid jams which we did until we hit the queue for parking. Had to park further than we planned which meant more walking. However, we were at the place, Kleine Platte I think, in time. Interesting place too, rather charasteristic for Panzerplatte I think, as we could see an approach and exit of a left junction, then drivers made a loop of some one minute before we could see approach and exit of another left junction. At times it was like watching tennis as one car approached as another just exited. Big drama on Panzerplatte. On previous stage the battle for third place had opened up with Latvala's small off, but that unfold all too soon. First Solberg came. I could hear and see that he had hit the rear right somewhere, but from my side I couldn't tell was he on rim or three wheels. He made the loop and then returned to the place and gave it up there. Latvala went through okey, but then long gaps. Where is Neuville? Where is Sordo? Three out of top 5 had troubles, Panzerplatte proved its fame. Later also Gassner Jr. retired almost next to Peter's, something with left rear suspension I think. We also had prepared a flag for Lappi and as I were in position to wait for Lappi, he didn't come. What a dissappointment! Until that he had done well for his tarmac practice.

Then to Peterberg 2, to one of the hairpins in the forest towards the finish. Very relaxed place to end the day 2. No big drama, only Al-Suwaidi went 1,5 cars width wide, missed the closest tree by another 50 cm. He was also wide on the previous hairpin where my friend was at the time. His Fiesta RRC was by the way same chassis as Ketomaa's WRC in Finland. In Peterberg 2 it was obvious that Tänak was on attack, he wasn't the cleanest through but obviously fast.

Sunday: It started to rain the second I got out of the car in the park. We wanted to see the Van Merkstejn's jump place at Dhrontal, even if it was now the opposite direction it still remained a jump. Weather was just so wet that I think that made driver's more cautious, and also the fact that this way if you jump too long you'll end up hitting the wall after the jump. So, the 000-car had the most fearless jump there. Novikov and Burri too, but nothing special. As a spectating place it was okey, as you had distant view over the cars at many places, for example if you're into taking your own splits. For the jump, that place just isn't there anymore, I think.

After the first run we left for the city stage. For a change. We ended up at a combination of right and left. Arrived just in time to see some of the historics, including Stig and E2 this time. The way the sounds of the cars echoed in the buildings - nice. It rained most of the time which was okey as it made the place more spectacular. It was nice idea that drivers were sent into the stage in heats, but two cars for top drivers wasn't enough. It got all pumped up for few heats as they had 3-4 cars in a heat for PWRC and S2000 drivers. Few close calls at the junction, also Al-Rajhi's spin. Also a bit of drama at the very end as the last car of the rally went into the last lap without front right wheel.

We stayed for the podium ceremonies, after all it was two Finns on the podium, but must say that it was booooring. Rally Germany was over, we started to prepare for the rest of our journey.

In general, from spectator's point of view Rally Germany is easily recommended. Spectators' guide is good enough (but I will buy a detailed map next time), signs to stages and parking areas, etc. are good, parking is well-organised (€1 standard fee), marshalls were friendly and understanding towards us, etc.

On the results, Loeb is Loeb. First time I saw him on tarmac and must say his clean style is even less interesting on tarmac than on gravel. But he is the fastest and he is showing how it's done. The two Finns on the podium were there mostly because Solberg, Neuvile and Sordo hit problems. Latvala could've been number three, but as seen from the videos, he wasn't clean, but he was lucky at many places. He is still fast too. Neuville is definitely a winner in the making, his style is rather clean until he makes the odd mistake that cost him always a lot. Sordo was on the pace at times, but still I expected a lot more. Also, out of the Academy/2WD drivers, Evans is a name to remember. He was doing very well on Finnish gravel and he was doing very well on German tarmac as well. I really, really hope to see him on S2000 next year.

Here are my friend's photos from Rally Germany 2012: rallyphotos.kuvat.fi

Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts