Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC bodyshells

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Didnt Latvala's Focus from Portugal even go on to win another event?

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Yes it did, i think it was Sweden the following year.
    /peter

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Of course 80, sorry AFAIK Fabia bodyshell is built same way from the floor platform. That's one of the reasons I don't get the price. For me it's just crazy

Mirek, one question may answer the question: Is Malcolm Wilson involved in making the Skoda bodyshells?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    I don't want to put all the blame on Wilson I think the fault is in system which allows that rather than in companies themselves(I don't consider Škoda parts cheap either - I just use it as a benchmark because I know the prices ).
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 16,097 Times in 6,986 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyc85
    Didnt Latvala's Focus from Portugal even go on to win another event?
    don t believe everything you read.

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii
    don t believe everything you read.
    The chassis number won an event.
    /peter

Quote Originally Posted by kiil
    The chassis number won an event.
    thats what they said.
    an accidental chassis like this,needs much more hours to make it proper,than to build a new one.
    At these level of accident is impossible to repair a so stretched chassis with roll cage.Except if you change all the parts,keeping just the serial number,a metal piece with 10cm x 6cm .....

Liked 29 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii
    thats what they said.
    an accidental chassis like this,needs much more hours to make it proper,than to build a new one.
    At these level of accident is impossible to repair a so stretched chassis with roll cage.Except if you change all the parts,keeping just the serial number,a metal piece with 10cm x 6cm .....
    jari s portugal was completly rebuilt no chassis plate swaps your talking crap as usual ! the fia fits seals to serveral parts of the roll cage to identifying chassis , and i have seen main hoops replaced many times !

new wrc cars are not built from floor plan as they used too because your not allowed to remove any internal panels now so no advantage ,just remove roof , on the focus when built from a floorpan they left out panels like inner sills inner b pillars and had hand fabricated chassis legs from thinner material , the focus had to run sill weights which were lockwired in by fia because shell so light . lighter than fiesta shell

the fia arent as stupid as you think

a briefcase full of numberplates and chassis numbers finished in the 1990s

Quote Originally Posted by adr17
    jari s portugal was completly rebuilt no chassis plate swaps your talking crap as usual ! the fia fits seals to serveral parts of the roll cage to identifying chassis , and i have seen main hoops replaced many times !

new wrc cars are not built from floor plan as they used too because your not allowed to remove any internal panels now so no advantage ,just remove roof , on the focus when built from a floorpan they left out panels like inner sills inner b pillars and had hand fabricated chassis legs from thinner material , the focus had to run sill weights which were lockwired in by fia because shell so light . lighter than fiesta shell

the fia arent as stupid as you think

a briefcase full of numberplates and chassis numbers finished in the 1990s
    So you think that THIS chassis because of fia lockwired can be repaired.lololololololololololololol
    and the cost will be less than building a new one.lolololololololololol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Dimvii also, I read an article on Jarris Portugal car produced from Ford official maybe but I recall the article had maybe an Environmental angle too it, i.e. look at us we nearly destroy a rally car but then we recycle it back into a brand new one sort of thing.

I think some one else said in this case it would probably be easier to take a new shell and build it to new WRC spec, than to put 4 men taking this car apart for a few days, then cutting out the broken roll cags and then spend some many more days re patching in new bars. I dont think Mr Wilson carries out too many activities that dont make financial sense.

Plus after all the rolling over so many times the supsension mounting points have been flexed and even slightly changed, if this was a private customer then yes they would probably say just patch the car up and get it back together so I can re-use it or sell it. I think a factory level company would want everything on the car perfectly alligned and un-stressed.