Page 365 of 525 FirstFirst ... 265315355363364365366367375415465 ... LastLast
Results 3,641 to 3,650 of 5242
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Sounds like the same old PR talk. "Ford is supporting us so much"...but 2/3 of our drivers pay for the drive, the last doesn't get a salary and we never even use all testdays.

All the talk whether Lappi or Mikkelsen is better choice becomes pointless if they keep going with similar setup as this year.

Again this year has shown it's hard to tell how good the current drivers really are when there is nobody to compare with.
    Did Greensmith really improve from Croatia on or is it "just" the new engine? How good is Fourmaux? Wilson claims the car is podium fast (and therefore drivers are the problem). Last year there was Lappi for some comparison, this year there is nobody as Suninen is anything but stable.

I'd guess that one of the reasons nobody of the "top 4" signed with MSport is that they aren't really sure what level they are. (new car, new possibilities yes, but you still need technical skill level within the team, Louriaux leaving prbly didn't help).

2. Likes: AndyRAC (14th July 2021),Eli (14th July 2021),er88 (14th July 2021),pantealex (14th July 2021),the sniper (14th July 2021),TWRC (14th July 2021)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Sounds familiar; continued, and maybe improved support, but not the 'kitchen sink'. If they require any pay drivers, then it's not a full factory effort! What will it take for them to fully back M-Sport??

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I'd guess that one of the reasons nobody of the "top 4" signed with MSport is that they aren't really sure what level they are. (new car, new possibilities yes, but you still need technical skill level within the team, Louriaux leaving prbly didn't help).
    Yep. Plus none of the top 4 drivers would've been able to test the Ford until December, whereas Tanak/ Neuville/ Evans/ (maybe) Ogier will be testing the Hyundai and Toyota throughout the rest of this year.

That's why I can't understand Malcolm didnt sign up a proven driver this year like Lappi/ mikkelsen etc to provide a benchmark for Fourmaux/ Greensmith, and also to develop the 22 car so they have a better driver ready to hit the ground running at the start of next year.

5. Likes: AnttiL (14th July 2021),pantealex (14th July 2021),RS (14th July 2021)
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    I wonder how much smoke and mirrors there'll be, with what could look like extra financial support from Ford actually being M-Sport just being in a better financial position itself this year, with the rebound in sales, service and support to the Rally 2, 3 and 4 categories.

This year I can partly understand it since it's last year of the current car and specially at start of the season it wasn't clear how much of MSport business (other rally classes) will run.

It cost them any chance of getting the top 4 ( personally I was really expecting Tanak to go there).

But if it goes again like this lineup next year, it sounds like another season with 2 teams and "also participated".

I totally don't agree with what for example AntiiL says...that if you can't get "top 4"/championship challenger it doesn't matter who you get.

2019/2020 vs 2021 shows this. 2019 they had Evans who sometimes could fight for wins (Corsica/GB), 2020 Lappi did that in Monza. 2021... nothing, not a single rally with real podium chance.

As mentioned before until 2020 Evans was a perfect example of "2nd best" that never would be able to fight for championship. But he was still a WRC winner with numerous podium finishes, not someone that never was near podium and is doing one of his first WRC rallies.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Been reported on here before, but here's an article.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/m-spo...ne-up-in-2022/

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Been reported on here before, but here's an article.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/m-spo...ne-up-in-2022/
    Don't like the sound of that to be honest, Fourmaux may be a future star (probably at another team like Neuville, Tanak and Evans before him) and Greensmith has improved but still off the pace, Suninen is still very inconsistent... To not have at least one experienced driver doesn't look good. They can do the PR talk as much as they want, the fact that they are barely doing any pre-event testing is the biggest "crime" against their performance in my opinion, no matter how fast the car is next year if they continue like this they can only hope for some out of the ordinary rallies to get some surprise results.

10. Likes: er88 (15th July 2021),Rally Hokkaido (15th July 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I totally don't agree with what for example AntiiL says...that if you can't get "top 4"/championship challenger it doesn't matter who you get.

2019/2020 vs 2021 shows this. 2019 they had Evans who sometimes could fight for wins (Corsica/GB), 2020 Lappi did that in Monza. 2021... nothing, not a single rally with real podium chance.

As mentioned before until 2020 Evans was a perfect example of "2nd best" that never would be able to fight for championship. But he was still a WRC winner with numerous podium finishes, not someone that never was near podium and is doing one of his first WRC rallies.
    Based on Millener's recent comments, I was right.

There's no marketing value in "sometimes fighting for wins". There might be some in winning single rallies, if championship is not possible. Otherwise you're as good with someone who just brings budget.

Just to clarify, this is not my personal opinion, I would want to see drivers who can actually drive at M-Sport, but I'm trying to think from the position of M-Sport. It's raw business for them.

12. Likes: cali (15th July 2021),Fast Eddie WRC (15th July 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Based on Millener's recent comments, I was right.

There's no marketing value in "sometimes fighting for wins". There might be some in winning single rallies, if championship is not possible. Otherwise you're as good with someone who just brings budget.
    But that's a huge difference! Winning single rallies or even getting on podiums vs 5th+ in case enough people retire.

What really made me smile in Milleners comments:
    (talking about current lineup):
    “But we need to see speed and consistency and development, and I think they’re all doing that in their own separate ways.”

Totally lines up with what he said about Suninen after Sardinia.

Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts
    I think (i) Millener is not in a rush, now haat other teams have lockep up their drivers. Only the half Toyota seat is available and any driver would probably prefer to get this one than opne at MSport, considering that Ogier will slow down even further or maybe call it quits after 2022 ... So in essence, all the remaining drivers will be begging for the +MSport seat(s) come december, so no rush ...

On another topic, I am curious of what Latvala will do, his heart probably calling for a (fast) fellow finn (Lappi, Sunninen) while his brain may have him lean towards a Mr.consistency fro the manufacturers champiosnhip, aka Sordo, Ostberg, Mikkelsen ... (Ogier being part of both categories as we know)