Page 356 of 525 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356357358366406456 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,560 of 5242
    Liked 300 Times in 127 Posts
    Well.... Mikkelsen?

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Lappi and Mikkelsen are both WRC event winners and multiple podium scorers and are "active" (unlike say Meeke and partly Paddon). (The WRC part is important cause some drivers just don't adapt to the change to WRC well (Tidemand latest example)). So just picking someone good in Rally2 doesn't automatically mean he will do well in WRC.

If they are in a competitive car there is no reason they shouldn't be able to fight for podiums on most rallies. I'd say they are both roughly comparable to Evans and have proven so when in similar cars in the recent past.

It is easy to notice how Evans results changed when he moved to Toyota in 2020.

However, neither Lappi nor Mikkelsen are proven "top class" drivers like the WRC champions Ogier and Tanak, or Neuville who has many more event wins.
    Evans kinda upgraded to this topclass after he moved to Toyota.
    It is totally possible that some new drivers like Rovanpera, Solberg or Fourmaux will get to that top class level at some point. But right now not even Rovanpera can show results similar to Lappi or Mikkelsen (he has 2 podiums in 14 starts). Fourmaux and Solberg are another step down.

But in rally as in other sports, drivers often get hired due to "future potential", rather then "decent results" that you would expect from "old" drivers like Lappi and Mikkelsen.

I'd say a good team needs both "future potential" and older experienced drivers, but Malcolm has often picked just the new guys. Sometimes it turned out well relatively fast (Martin), sometimes it took long time and a few demotions from WRC (Tanak, Evans), sometimes it went bad one way or another (Duval, Camilli, could also rank Gardemeister and Kresta here).

Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Wide-ranging Rich Millener interview, incl. Safari, Rally 1 car, Covid, costs & Estonia.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4EX...FQ&dl_branch=1
    Millener says in this interview that he wouldnt mind if Fourmaux , Greensmith and Suninen is their line-up for 2022. He thinks they are becoming more and more competitive (setting some good times in recent events) and would be capable in their Rally1 car which is expected to be the fastest at the start of the new era.

Liked 5,565 Times in 2,299 Posts
    Which 'proper drivers' are available ? Toyota and Hyundai have them all under contract.
    Exactly. They lost the momentum (Hyundai ones renewed).

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Millener says in this interview that he wouldnt mind if Fourmaux , Greensmith and Suninen is their line-up for 2022. He thinks they are becoming more and more competitive (setting some good times in recent events) and would be capable in their Rally1 car which is expected to be the fastest at the start of the new era.
    Uh oh

6. Likes: AndyRAC (6th July 2021),pantealex (7th July 2021),Rally Hokkaido (7th July 2021),the sniper (6th July 2021)
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Uh oh
    I’m not sure how we have got to Msport being expected to have the fastest car at the start of next year. I think everyone acknowledges they do a great job at the start of new regulation cycles, but with the resources available elsewhere I’d be amazed if they have the flat out fastest car. I’m sure they will be more competitive than the current car is today, but if it was my money I’d be putting it on Toyota having the fastest car come the start of next year.

8. Likes: pantealex (7th July 2021),WRC1 (6th July 2021)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Millener says in this interview that he wouldn't mind if Fourmaux , Greensmith and Suninen is their line-up for 2022. He thinks they are becoming more and more competitive (setting some good times in recent events) and would be capable in their Rally1 car which is expected to be the fastest at the start of the new era.
    Hmm, with the greatest of respect, that doesn't fill me with massive hope/confidence. I doubt Toyota or Hyundai are worried about them come next year. No winners - some flashes of speed but lots of inconsistency.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    No matter how great the new Fiesta will be, if M-Sport lineup will be Suninen, Greensmith and Fourmaux, they have no chance. They will be last in every rally, just like this year.

And Ford will not like this. They want to promote the hybrid and finishing always last, it is not the best promotion.

11. Likes: Andre Oliveira (6th July 2021)
    Liked 5,565 Times in 2,299 Posts
    I only see one way out, or hire Neuville from Hyundai (his position looks fragile) or pick the best unemployed -> Meeke. Second alternative is Mikkelsen or Paddon.

13. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (7th July 2021)
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber21 View Post
    And Ford will not like this. They want to promote the hybrid and finishing always last, it is not the best promotion.
    They could easily avoid that situation.