Page 320 of 525 FirstFirst ... 220270310318319320321322330370420 ... LastLast
Results 3,191 to 3,200 of 5242
    Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    i basically had a lump in my throat when Lappi was sayin he isnt continuing.

i really really like the guy, such a shame
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

2. Likes: AnttiL (6th December 2020),cali (6th December 2020),Eli (6th December 2020),Essaj (6th December 2020),masa90 (6th December 2020),pantealex (7th December 2020),T16 (6th December 2020),the sniper (6th December 2020)
    Liked 1,481 Times in 844 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    i basically had a lump in my throat when Lappi was saying he isn't continuing.

i really really like the guy, such a shame
    I felt really sad for him too, I really really like him too, and it just shows how much the sport is having trouble to breathe when you have drivers like him on the sidelines. Sure, it wasn't his best season to date and sure he didn't score a podium, but that Fiesta is well under-developed compared to the other two, although by no fault of their own but there is only so much you can expect from it's drivers, especially with this year being extra tough due to COVID... He did the best he could with the tools he had, he should've had a drive next year but as a lot are finding out this year, these are extremely tough times.
    Last edited by Eli; 6th December 2020 at 20:35.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

4. Likes: AnttiL (6th December 2020),Essaj (6th December 2020),EstWRC (6th December 2020),masa90 (6th December 2020),pantealex (7th December 2020),T16 (6th December 2020)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    It's sad that the WRC is once again going through a contraction. It's really important in the future to somehow guarantee more top level cars especially to give more talented people chances to learn. I'm afraid we've witnessed another of those "golden eras" and are now going in a bit of a recession for a few years.

6. Likes: AnttiL (6th December 2020)
    Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I felt really sad for him too, I really really like him too, and it just shows how much the sport is having trouble to breathe when you have drivers like him on the sidelines. Sure, it wasn't his best season to date and sure he didn't score a podium, but that Fiesta is well under-developed compared to the other two, although by no fault of their own but there is only so much you can expect from it's drivers, especially with this year being extra tough due to COVID... He did the best he could with the tools he had, he should've had a drive next year but as a lot are finding out this year, these are extremely tough times.
    And also he could have been one the best available drivers to develop the new 2022 car
    How epic would it be if we had 4+ team with 3 paid drivers on all of them + all the hobbyist or drivers willing to take the chance with paying for their seat... I guess man can dream

Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    It's sad that the WRC is once again going through a contraction. It's really important in the future to somehow guarantee more top level cars especially to give more talented people chances to learn. I'm afraid we've witnessed another of those "golden eras" and are now going in a bit of a recession for a few years.
    I hope you're right and it will be 'just' a recession for a few years, the way it looks atm, this particular discipline won't survive until the end of this decade if they don't start getting their act together. This discipline doesn't have the time to muck about, manufacturers won't invest their money in it if they don't see some kind of return, it's as simple as that. I really love rallying and the WRC in spite of all their faults but this year has emphasized just how badly they need to work on them, the future of the WRC depends on it.

9. Likes: the sniper (6th December 2020)
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    Yep, sadly there are lots of good drivers and not many seats. The only seat that is really questionable at Toyota and Hyundai is Breen, and that’s only half a seat at best. Now M-Sport have fallen behind in the development, paying for a seat with them is less attractive than previous years, which possibly means people will be more reluctant to do so.
    Hopefully they can do what they are usually good at and come out of the blocks strong in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Essaj View Post
    And also he could have been one the best available drivers to develop the new 2022 car
    How epic would it be if we had 4+ team with 3 paid drivers on all of them + all the hobbyist or drivers willing to take the chance with paying for their seat... I guess man can dream
    For now I'd even take 3 full teams (imagine M-Sport not having financial woes and having full backing from a Manufacturer) that pay their drivers, of course I would've like to see Lappi next year (or in 2022) but unfortunately reality is harsher than usual this year.

Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    For now I'd even take 3 full teams (imagine M-Sport not having financial woes and having full backing from a Manufacturer) that pay their drivers, of course I would've like to see Lappi next year (or in 2022) but unfortunately reality is harsher than usual this year.
    Yeah 3 proper manufacturer backed teams would work as well, but it would still leave some WRC level drivers out and it makes harder for new talent to get a proper chances, that's why I went with 4 teams.

13. Likes: Eli (6th December 2020)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    Now M-Sport have fallen behind in the development, paying for a seat with them is less attractive than previous years, which possibly means people will be more reluctant to do so.
    Hopefully they can do what they are usually good at and come out of the blocks strong in 2022.
    This is the really big danger for M-Sport.

People that have some funding ("own" or sponsors) that are just on the edge of entering WRC and not 100% sure about the talent. (unlike the "certain" stars that win everything)
    People like Greensmith, Tidemand (in 2018), Paddon (last year 2x, without starting though) or even better Suninen in 2017.

These are the people that make M-Sport WRC less of a money sink (ever since start of 2017 it is just a money sink). Losing them cause the car is clearly not competitive is a long term problem. And they are doing that right now to Hyundai (Loubet, Veiby).
    Also to show that the car is competetive they need at least one fast driver, they kind of had it this year, even with 2 drivers, but the car wasn't there without any testing.

Surely we all know the main reason for this - COVID.

At this point there is actually very little point for MSport to bring a good driver (they doesn't bring money) or to even spend much money developing the current car for last year while Toyota and Hyundai already are far ahead.

They should and likely will put all efforts towards the 2022 car. Which makes one wonder whether they will start as manu team at all. After all it only limits their testing days.

15. Likes: Eli (6th December 2020)
    Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    On a slightly more serious note, I hope M-Sport keeps their 2020 livery for next year, with a few refresh touches for the sake of newness. it's my favorite livery of theirs ever.

17. Likes: WRC1 (7th December 2020)