Page 233 of 523 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283333 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 5230
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    why ? he doesn't like money ?
    How can he make money by staying in the WRC and developing a car that no one else is buying or (except one or two customers) having serviced?
    I’m guessing the potential prize money and sponsorship money doesn’t cover costs of participation?
    If the answer is that it promotes the other models they build and sell, then fair enough, but does the WRC car really help to sell the other formulas they sell, it do those cars sell based upon their own success?
    I honestly can’t see why m-Sport would stay at this point.... no top driver, no manufacturer support, no main sponsor = lose money.

2. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (18th October 2018)
    Liked 158 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    How can he make money by staying in the WRC and developing a car that no one else is buying or (except one or two customers) having serviced?
    The same way he was before the new regulations and Ogier came along? The WRC program was the glossy front of the rally side of the company, where the real earning was done by the sale and support of the R5, R2 and R1 Fiestas.

With an increased focus on WRC2 next year the demand for Fiesta R5's will surely still be high and M-Sport still seem to be selling the latest spec Fiesta R5 in decent numbers (it is surely the most numerous R5 car now?).
    "If in doubt... flat out!"

Liked 359 Times in 191 Posts
    "We're so good, we can get on overall WRC podiums. Everything we learn there filters down into all other rally projects. Now, please sign on the dotted line for a new R5 so you can compete in a local Austrian rally."

Liked 9,309 Times in 4,937 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
    The same way he was before the new regulations and Ogier came along? The WRC program was the glossy front of the rally side of the company, where the real earning was done by the sale and support of the R5, R2 and R1 Fiestas.

With an increased focus on WRC2 next year the demand for Fiesta R5's will surely still be high and M-Sport still seem to be selling the latest spec Fiesta R5 in decent numbers (it is surely the most numerous R5 car now?).
    Sorry but if you look at the main R5 championships and especially in Europe, they are now dominated by the Skoda Fabia R5. The Fiesta may be numerous in total but the sales in the last couple of years have been low compared to the (newer) Skoda.

There are also other newer R5's out now like the C3 R5 and Polo R5 and these will also hit Fiesta sales. The Mk8 Fiesta R5 isnt due til July 2019.

M.Wilson spent a lot of his own money funding Ogier and I can see why he doesnt want to now run at loss in WRC with no glory to compensate. The 2017-spec cars cost a lot to run and against three full Manu teams it will need constant development.
    #M-SPORTER

6. Likes: AnttiL (18th October 2018),pantealex (18th October 2018)
    [QUOTE=tbtstt;1195602]The same way he was before the new regulations and Ogier came along?

no - the difference between then and now is that then, they were selling loads of WRC cars, but now they have sold just two or three (I think)...

And regarding the glossy front... I can understand what you're thinking, but people aren't going to buy an R5 based on what the WRC car has achieved.

8. Likes: AnttiL (18th October 2018)
    Liked 9,309 Times in 4,937 Posts
    2017 WRC's are £750k... not surprising only two have been sold. And Østberg couldnt afford to run his with the cost of parts and upgrades.

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    [QUOTE=T16;1195607]
    Quote Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
    The same way he was before the new regulations and Ogier came along?

no - the difference between then and now is that then, they were selling loads of WRC cars, but now they have sold just two or three (I think)...

And regarding the glossy front... I can understand what you're thinking, but people aren't going to buy an R5 based on what the WRC car has achieved.
    They never sold many new wrc cars. They did sell most of their works cars after some rally's.
    Which is actually quite a genious businesses model.

[QUOTE=denkimi;1195637]
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    They never sold many new wrc cars. They did sell most of their works cars after some rally's.
    Which is actually quite a genious businesses model.
    Where did you get the 'new' bit from? Either way, old or new, they sold loads of them, as they did with the focus' and that meant parts and support contracts too. I'm not going to profess to have every bit of information, but surely if you are not selling the product you make and you are not selling any parts too, then it's a pretty bad business model.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Sorry but if you look at the main R5 championships and especially in Europe, they are now dominated by the Skoda Fabia R5. The Fiesta may be numerous in total but the sales in the last couple of years have been low compared to the (newer) Skoda.

There are also other newer R5's out now like the C3 R5 and Polo R5 and these will also hit Fiesta sales. The Mk8 Fiesta R5 isnt due til July 2019.
    Have to remember that M-Sport had 200-250 "old" bodyshells in store when Mk8 came. How many R2/R5 they have built since? They simply have nothing to sell until Mk8 models are ready.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 5,528 Times in 2,289 Posts
    I believe Mk8 R2T will be homologated to JWRC 2019, so... soon.

14. Likes: pantealex (19th October 2018)