Page 271 of 525 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273281321371 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 5242
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Most probably they won`t use its engine and will make 1.6l out of something with bigger capacity...seems to be the most reliable solution as demonstrated by VAG and M-Sport already.

Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
    Who will dictate it though in this case, Ford or M-Sport? The convenient option is to go with the four cylinder engine in that it is proven but with the emphasis on lower emissions etc it might be Ford's preference to push this engine configuration.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Umm, lol, yes, for sure there are concernes over emissions from a car consuming 50-70l/100 km SS racing fuel and a set of tires that lasts around 100km. Not to mention how it all changes with different mappings etc. If Ford wants to sell it as ecofriendly, they do what they do now, add a "Powered by Ecoboost" sticker. You never ever make a R5 car that complies with latest emissions regulations and frankly it is the last thing in the list of arguments, how someone chooses a (R5) rallycar, whats point all in all is to be a customer car. It has to be fast and reliable, good/cheap to maintain for the customer and its builder.

Or put it this way: You have a 1.8l R4 std. engine, you make it 1.6l, around 210 kW and 400 nm or you have a 1.5 R3, you increase its capacity to make it 1.6, around 210 kW and 400 nm. Which option has a bigger lifespan, is cheaper and more reliable to build and maintain? The answer is quite obvious.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 3rd February 2019 at 12:45.

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    I'm sure it's been said by people in the know here that M-Sport definitely aren't using the 1.5 as a base for the new R5 engine, a decision that makes perfect sense from an engineering point of view. Given that a hardcore M-Sport superfan here didn't know the origin of the current R5 engine, with it not being a proper 'Ecoboost', I can't see why Ford would be that fussed about the new R5 engine not being based on the 1.5 out of the production ST. The vast majority of the public are none the wiser either way.

Liked 9,340 Times in 4,960 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    I'm sure it's been said by people in the know here that M-Sport definitely aren't using the 1.5 as a base for the new R5 engine, a decision that makes perfect sense from an engineering point of view. Given that a hardcore M-Sport superfan here didn't know the origin of the current R5 engine, with it not being a proper 'Ecoboost', I can't see why Ford would be that fussed about the new R5 engine not being based on the 1.5 out of the production ST. The vast majority of the public are none the wiser either way.
    As I guess its me you were referring to. Yes, I'm an M-Sport fan, but I dont work there and dont have inside knowledge other than what a manager told us fans at WRGB.

Like said manager, every, and I mean every, website and magazine refers to the Fiesta R5 as being based on the Fiesta ST and having an Ecoboost 1.6T-based engine. It's a fact that M-Sport start with a factory-built car as its basis for the R5. There is no mention anywhere of which another engine or block that they are using.

Racetech Magazine quotes M-Sport’s head of engine development, Nigel Arnfield on the R5 Evo: "The engine is based on the 1.6-litre turbocharged inline four found in the Ford Fiesta ST road car. As with most modern production designs it uses direct injection (DI), which means it’s very sensitive to the shape of the piston crown and the roof of the combustion chamber. We knew there was a lot of potential to develop the piston further."

http://chris-pickering.com/wp-conten...ESTAlowres.pdf
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 3rd February 2019 at 16:01.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Jouhki is paying for Suninen right?
    This question is over week old but I still want to answer: M-Sport is already paying Suninen (and Jouhki probably gets his share in return for the previous season's investments)

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anttil View Post
    this question is over week old but i still want to answer: M-sport is already paying suninen (and jouhki probably gets his share in return for the previous season's investments)
    lol

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    As I guess its me you were referring to. Yes, I'm an M-Sport fan, but I dont work there and dont have inside knowledge other than what a manager told us fans at WRGB.
    Not intended as an insult sorry, just mean that if those with a deep interest/knowledge can't be sure of the exact details, there's little reason in compromising themselves for a marketing led solution that is irrelevant to the vast majority of people.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    lol
    https://rallysportmag.com/feature-ri...al-at-m-sport/

Is M-Sport funding the WRC2 Pro drivers?

“We’re not funding anybody this year apart from Elfyn and Teemu, they’re the only two people we are supporting.

10. Likes: Allez Andruet (3rd February 2019),pantealex (5th February 2019)
    Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    that's only public speech