Page 337 of 525 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347387437 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 5242
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    This year Suninen kind of has that role. So far he has done terrible, but it's only one rally. My issue is that he is not really considered reliable (and neither is Lappi), meaning considered as a proven driver that is regularly fast over the season. Meeke, Paddon, Mikkelsen, Østberg, (and Latvala) fit that much better. But Meeke, Paddon and similar drivers who have won rallies also don't want to pay a lot of money just to "promote" MSport product.

So we get to the dilemma, keep on "risking" with "unreliable"/young drivers or use a bit more money for some regularly fast one? So far MSport almost always goes for the cheaper and risky option. Worked in 2019 (Evans had real pace in Corsica and GB and got "sold" to Toyota, getting money to MSport), did not work at all in 2020 (only a tiny glimpse at Monza).
    I'm sure everyone saw that Suninen was about to win the stage before he crashed. That showed that the upgraded Fiesta has potential.

Also, if you say 2020 had only glimpses at Monza, you're forgetting how fast Suninen was in Mexico and Sardegna. Lappi was also setting decent times here and there.

But like you said, it's not their interest to hire someone to drive fast at the moment.

2. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (25th January 2021),pantealex (25th January 2021)
    Liked 386 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I'm sure everyone saw that Suninen was about to win the stage before he crashed. That showed that the upgraded Fiesta has potential.

Also, if you say 2020 had only glimpses at Monza, you're forgetting how fast Suninen was in Mexico and Sardegna. Lappi was also setting decent times here and there.

But like you said, it's not their interest to hire someone to drive fast at the moment.
    I have missed it so if anyone knows.. were there other updates besides the front aero? Was the engine update already in use in Monte?

Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    I have missed it so if anyone knows.. were there other updates besides the front aero? Was the engine update already in use in Monte?
    No engine update.

5. Likes: AMSS (25th January 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abcrally View Post
    No engine update.
    OK, I thought they already added that. Then it's even more impressive from Suninen. The engine upgrade was already supposed to come for summer 2020, but they decided to use all the remaining old-spec engines for economical reasons.

Liked 9,347 Times in 4,964 Posts
    I thought the engine upgrade was here, especially with Suninen's pace.

2021 is here, what are they waiting for when its just upgrades not a completely new engine ?

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Just for the record, Bertelli owns his car and has his own team.

But why people are going to Hyundai, I can only think of two things: 1) the performance of Fiesta WRC and 2) the performance of Fiesta Rally2 (although Hyundai R5 hasn't been much better)
    3) Money
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Pretty much impossible to conclude from that (almost) one stage anything about the Fiesta, especially in the conditions that were there. As proven by the crash Suninen was driving on the edge.

Lots of different cars (and drivers) could do a quick stage time or two at the expense of massive risks, ref. Meeke with C3.

10. Likes: RS (25th January 2021)
    Liked 9,347 Times in 4,964 Posts
    Jan 2020

'Malcolm Wilson is hopeful that the upgrade which is slated to arrive at the fourth round will move the team forwards once more.

“This is the biggest change we’ve made to the engine since we started work with this car [in 2017],” Wilson told Motorsport.com. “It’s a big step. As you’d expect, we’ve worked closely with Ford on this, with Ford doing a lot of the modelling work on the engine.

“When it comes, we’ll have more power, torque and driveability – like I said, it will make a big difference. Once we’ve got that in place, I don’t see any reason really why we shouldn’t be challenging [for victory] on all remaining rounds of the series.'

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Why M-Sport wants to stay in WRC:
    - They can get money in from paydrivers
    - They want to stay relevant in the sport in order to sell lower class cars.
    - Maybe the 2022 cars will be more privateer-friendly?
    1) My point was not whether or not they stay but why would they want to spend in order to do so, when they can take those paydrivers..

2) Skoda are not in the top class but sell lots of Rally2 cars

3) Not so sure about that.. won't they be even more complicated and expensive than the current ones?

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    1) My point was not whether or not they stay but why would they want to spend in order to do so, when they can take those paydrivers..

2) Skoda are not in the top class but sell lots of Rally2 cars
    Imo Skoda are a perfect example of always hiring at least one top driver in the category to help sell the cars. (Lappi, Rovanpera, Solberg, Mikkelsen...). I don't think any of these paid large sums of money to start with Skoda.
    Quite opposite to recent MSport WRC policy.

14. Likes: pantealex (25th January 2021),RS (25th January 2021)