Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Milka?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Arrow Got Milka?

Well, Looks like Milka Duno is in for 10 races for SAMAX, her Grand Am team, with Citgo Sponsorship.

Milka to run 10 races
    HOMESTEAD, Fla. – The speed, sound and even the smell of Indy cars practicing for the Indianapolis 500 captivated Milka Duno during her initial visit to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Not much has changed in seven years, albeit the smell of the IndyCar Series cars will be different with the use of 100 fuel-grade ethanol this season. Duno knew then she wanted someday to compete in "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing," and the Miami resident hasn't wavered. Finally, she'll have the opportunity.

SAMAX Motorsport owner Peter Baron and CITGO Petroleum Corp. president and CEO Felix Rodriguez announced that Duno would drive the No. 23 CITGO Racing/SAMAX Motorsport Dallara/Honda/Firestone in 10 IndyCar Series events this season – including the 500-Mile Race.

After testing and passing her rookie test in early April, Duno will launch her long-time aspirations April 29 at Kansas Speedway. She'll also compete at Texas Motor Speedway (June 9), Iowa Speedway (June 24), Watkins Glen International (July 8), Nashville Superspeedway (July 14), Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (July 22), Michigan International Speedway (Aug. 5), Kentucky Speedway (Aug. 11) and the season finale at Chicagoland Speedway (Sept. 9).

"The blurry speed of the cars and the intoxicating sound they made as they went around the track – reverberating off the huge grandstands – inspired a passion in me to one day become a part of it," said Duno of that visit to the Speedway while competing at nearby Putnam Park in the Barber Dodge series. "(I wanted to be) a part of the history; a part of the competition."

The Venezuela native will be part of both. When Duno, Danica Patrick and Sarah Fisher take the green flag at the 1.5-mile Kansas Speedway oval, it will mark the first time in major open-wheel racing history that three females have competed in a race. Think they'll get some attention in May?

"It is a special moment for me, just something I've been dreaming about for a long time," said Duno, who will continue to compete in the Rolex Grand-Am Series Daytona Prototype for SAMAX Motorsport with CITGO sponsorship. "It's difficult to explain how I feel because I have so many emotions -- a little nervous, a little anxiety, very excited. It's a big step for me. It's going to be very tough because it's a very competitive championship and I'll be racing ovals and everything will be new for me.

"But I'm trying to learn whatever I need to learn. I have a good team behind me, which makes me comfortable and so good for me. As I was thinking about this decision, I wanted it to be with a good team and people I know."
    IndyCar Series Merchandise

Her SAMAX IndyCar Series team will be a mix of personnel from her Grand-Am team and veterans in Indy car racing, including Steve Challis as the lead engineer and John Cummiskey as the team manager. Cummiskey has three Indianapolis 500 victories.

"I feel we have done a tremendous job creating a team with the perfect mix of 'Indy talent' and team members that have worked with Milka from the beginning," Baron said. "Milka is already at home with the team, which is the foundation from where all the growth and success begins."

"In her first race of the 2007 Grand-Am season, Duno teamed with Darren Manning, Patrick Carpentier and Ryan Daziel for a runner-up finish in the Rolex 24 At Daytona -- the highest finish ever by a female in the event's 45-year history.

She has sought the counsel and technical insight of Manning, driver of the No. 14 ABC Supply Co. car for A.J. Foyt Racing, and Carpentier, a former IndyCar Series competitor, among others.

"A long time ago, even when people didn't know it was my dream to drive in this series, I was asking many things of the drivers," she said. "I was asking Darren, Patrick, Dario Franchitti and Dan Wheldon about the racing and how they do things because I need to learn so much. I wanted to go to this level, and that was the first step.

"I want to have good preparation. I have all the determination and all my concentration will be on learning to do the best I can."

Duno, third in the Grand-Am driver standings, began competing in the series in 2004. She was the first woman to win a major international sports car race in North America (with Andy Wallace at the Grand Prix of Miami at Homestead-Miami Speedway). She followed with her second overall victory at Homestead seven months later. She has posted three wins, seven podium appearances, 10 top-five finishes and 26 top-10 finishes.

"We know this effort, with a new sponsor, driver and team will not be easy, but we are thrilled to have this opportunity and will work our hardest to give Milka the necessary tools to succeed on track," Baron said.
    Related Stories

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm really hoping that was just a demonstrator Dallara they had at the announcement ceremony. Looks like a really really really old Dallara.
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh dear, she is going to be so far out of her depth it is quite frankly frightening.

IRL cars are not toys for amateurs with a budget, and frankly she could get herself, or someone else seriously injured or killed. This isn't bloody sportscar racing.

(and this is not a sexist dig - Duno is simply not on the same level as any of the rest of the IRL field

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This should be a joke she isn´t a good or even a mediocre driver she is really bad she has won rolex series races because of the teammates driving the las 85% of the race. So I find incredible that she gets allowed to race and also that the IRL is making news out of this.
    Maybe she will prove me wrong but I think that she is going to be last

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would have liked to have seen her in IPS first. I am almost tired of seeing people with no proven ability get rides. But at least its another piece of eye candy with a sponsor. Cant hurt at the moment, I see some attention coming her way soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Haddock. Carcount is one thing, and it's cool to have a hottie in the car, and she makes the series more of an international league. But she has little to no experience in these type of cars. I hate to say that, but I don't want to see a repetition of last year's Miami incident.

Don't think she's worse than Roth tough.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Komahawk
    I agree with Haddock. Carcount is one thing, and it's cool to have a hottie in the car, and she makes the series more of an international league. But she has little to no experience in these type of cars. I hate to say that, but I don't want to see a repetition of last year's Miami incident.

Don't think she's worse than Roth tough.
    I don't know much about Roth, but what I do know is that she is considerably less competent a race driver than Paul Dana was....and I still wonder whether he should really have been allowed to race.

Like I say, I've nothing against women in racing cars, and I think Fisher and Patrick are decent, able racing drivers (although Fisher was a bit of a liability in her early days) but Duno would struggle against many clubman drivers and is only in the sport at all because her husband is a senior exec at Citgo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think this means Milka gets Rookie of the Year by default ??
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddock
    I don't know much about Roth, but what I do know is that she is considerably less competent a race driver than Paul Dana was....and I still wonder whether he should really have been allowed to race.

Like I say, I've nothing against women in racing cars, and I think Fisher and Patrick are decent, able racing drivers (although Fisher was a bit of a liability in her early days) but Duno would struggle against many clubman drivers and is only in the sport at all because her husband is a senior exec at Citgo
    Being able to bring $$$ to a team speaks volumes. And frequently less talented individuals get the ride due to the $$$ they bring.

I agree that Milka's in over her head. This will become apparent once she starts competing. Let's just hope she realizes this & drops down to IPS, or less, before she gets hurt.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well this should make the MidOhio race more interesting anyway. If she races at Michigan it could be really interesting. I am going to both races as well as the 500 so I am looking forward to this year more then ever now

David